Freelancing??? (serious)

On 20/07/2021 at 09:43, adrynalyne said:

Not me. I wanted to be a Fireman.

Astronaut would be cool too, but now you just buy your way into space and I don't have enough cash.  I wonder if the speeding ticket I got last year would put up red flags?

On 20/07/2021 at 07:49, tmorris1 said:

Astronaut would be cool too, but now you just buy your way into space and I don't have enough cash.  I wonder if the speeding ticket I got last year would put up red flags?

Ask every year for the next 5 years. We will get to the bottom of this.

Edited by adrynalyne
speeeeeeling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Grabs the popcorn. 

This is going to be good!

Spoiler

Assuming the popcorn isn't stale by the time the OP comes round again.

FWIW, I am a QA manager, and have been a dev manager. I have worked with a dev who was convicted of drugs offences, and did 1 year inside. He was one of the most capable developers I've worked with, and the company (a 90k+ employee multi-national) took a punt on him; it paid off!

If I were recruiting, I would go based off experience and references more than history; the past is in the past, as long as you've learnt from it.

• Like 2

Wow this is pathetic (OP). You need to get help. A misdemeanor charge that was expunged is going to have no bearing on your future employment opportunities.. we've been through this with you. I don't understand why this continues to weigh heavily on you. It sounds to me that you're not sure of your career path and have zero confidence, know how in entering that field. There are assistance programs at community colleges to test and gauge your interest, and if needed, courses to pursue. Try that. Go for a internship/entry level part time. Or get a therapist to deal with this anxiety. 

It sounds like you haven't even applied anywhere. Have you? What did they say? Was your record brought up?

Edited by shockz

• Nick H. locked this topic

Question by RolloofTheNorm: I want to work as a dev, but it's a well known issue that I have an arrest, but despite the fact that its expunged and there was no conviction.

Someone: you're an ex-con no chance of being hired
RolloofTheNorm: but I'm not an ex-con my record was expunged

someone else: you are not an ex-con if your record was expunged and it is longer than 7 years ago
RolloofTheNorm: but I have a police record

200.gif

• 4 months later...
On 20/07/2021 at 11:14, shockz said:

Wow this is pathetic (OP). You need to get help. A misdemeanor charge that was expunged is going to have no bearing on your future employment opportunities.. we've been through this with you. I don't understand why this continues to weigh heavily on you. It sounds to me that you're not sure of your career path and have zero confidence, know how in entering that field. There are assistance programs at community colleges to test and gauge your interest, and if needed, courses to pursue. Try that. Go for a internship/entry level part time. Or get a therapist to deal with this anxiety. 

It sounds like you haven't even applied anywhere. Have you? What did they say? Was your record brought up?

Recently I found out from a manager at the grocery store I work for currently does background checks and they found nothing on there unless they would've said something. Anyways my question now is is that suppose to make a difference? No. I know a few of you are gonna have an issue with this, but I recently asked this question through a discord server and was told a different story regard employment. I'll just leave it at that.

Edited by RolloofTheNorm

On 18/12/2021 at 11:24, RolloofTheNorm said:

Recently I found out that the grocery store I work for currently does background checks and they found nothing on there unless they would've said something. Anyways my question now is is that suppose to make a difference? No. I know a few of you are gonna have an issue with this, but I recently asked this question through a discord server and was told a different story regard employment. I'll just leave it at that.

LOL. You are the reason you won’t succeed, not your background. 

• Like 2

On 18/12/2021 at 11:34, RolloofTheNorm said:

What's so funny?

You. In the years you have spent dwelling on this, you could have learned what you needed and been working in the field. 

I guess I should show pity instead, but it’s humorous. 

On 18/12/2021 at 13:40, adrynalyne said:

You. In the years you have spent dwelling on this, you could have learned what you needed and been working in the field. 

I guess I should show pity instead, but it’s humorous. 

Why cause I recently went through a background check and nothing came up? Is that suppose to make a difference now? 

On 18/12/2021 at 11:42, RolloofTheNorm said:

Why cause I recently went through a background check and nothing came up? Is that suppose to make a difference now? 

Nope, you have to live with your mistakes, just as we live with ours. We told you, you didn’t listen. 

On 18/12/2021 at 13:44, adrynalyne said:

Nope, you have to live with your mistakes, just as we live with ours. We told you, you didn’t listen. 

Ok and what mistakes is that. The fact that I have a record now or something?

On 18/12/2021 at 11:55, RolloofTheNorm said:

Ok and what mistakes is that. The fact that I have a record now or something?

The fact you don’t and you dwelled on it for years instead of moving on with your life. If you don’t see that as a mistake, you are never going anywhere in life. 

Apparently i missed a whole lot of fun this past 5 years. First time i see this guy's posts.

I'll seriously answer the question even if we are probably being trolled.

1. You certainly don't have a IT degree because right now there's 10 jobs in IT for every applicants. Even with a record and bad attitude you would get something. So i assume you don't have any degree in IT.

1. Considering your attitude i would say the best for you if you want to get out of the bottom (grocery store) would be to work on your own projects.

2. Start your own projects and web site and let it be your portfolio. Can be a game made with Unity or some web or mobile apps done with java, javascript or .net. If you are good and build a good portfolio you'll get something eventually.

I don't get why you ignore the advise of people around here who for the most part are already working in IT. I'm a web developer and analyst (full stack). I've been professionally working in the field since the early 2000 and started to work with computers in the 80ies as a kid with dBAse and Assembly (there was no web back then). I even done some hacking in the 90ies for a short while before getting into trouble. I've interviewed people a couple of time and went thru lot of interviews myself. Ignoring advise and acting like you know better wont help you. If you have a degree and can't get a job then it's an attitude problem and a serious one. Get help. if you don't have a degree and feel like you are too old to get one then build a portfolio and try to be successful on your own. If you are good you'll get noticed eventually.

Edited by LaP
  • Like 1

On 18/12/2021 at 14:13, adrynalyne said:

The fact you don’t and you dwelled on it for years instead of moving on with your life. If you don’t see that as a mistake, you are never going anywhere in life. 

Well for what it's worth I am taking a java programming class this spring. 

On 18/12/2021 at 14:38, wakjak said:

Do you have any programming experience? If not, how would you expect to get a job as a developer?

He's taking a Java Programming class so he probably has none. I don't see why a programmer would need to take a class to learn Java. The basis is almost the same as C, C# or Javascript. Java, Javascript, C Or C# will always be among the languages taught by IT programs.  It's something you can learn on your own if you already know other languages.

BTW starting with Java is not a bad idea specially if OOP principles are taught at the same time. It's the official language of Android and is still among the most used server side languages. You can move from Java to Javascript or C# relatively painlessly. He'll need a database design class to go with it.

I'm currently in college right now, but the degree in majoring in is an AAS in computer technology which in a way is an IT associates degree. Im planning on getting a bachelor's eventually and just wanted to give it a try before diving into a bachelor's degree head on. If you want to check out the curriculum here's a link:

https://www.cctech.edu/degree/major-in-computer-technology-cmpt/

On 18/12/2021 at 12:35, RolloofTheNorm said:

Well for what it's worth I am taking a java programming class this spring. 

That’s a good start.