There are many great features available to you once you register at Neowin, including:

• Richer content, access to many features that are disabled for guests like commenting on the front page
  • Access to a great community, with a massive database of experience on hard & software issues, gaming and recreational activities, and more
  • Access to the Neowin IRC - you could make a friend from across the world and talk to them live
  • Access to Neowin contests & subscription offers and forums that are not open to guests/li>
  • It's simple, and FREE! · Register here

Unable to comment on certain articles.

I'm unable to post comments on certain articles on the site. For instance, I cannot make comments on the article Here.  Any ideas what might be happening?

It's not a cache issue because I tried with both Edge and Firefox with the same results. When I press the "Add Comment" button, nothing happens, except I get that "No" sign.

• Like 2

I had a similar issue last weekend but clearing the cache and restarting the browser worked for me. It only happened on one of the front page articles and did not affect the forums at all. Don't know why it happened, but never reported as I was able to get it working on my side.

On 09/01/2022 at 09:27, Jester124 said:

I had a similar issue last weekend but clearing the cache and restarting the browser worked for me. It only happened on one of the front page articles and did not affect the forums at all. Don't know why it happened, but never reported as I was able to get it working on my side.

As I said, it is not a cache issue, as it happens with different browsers, I don't even use Firefox, just have it there as a backup for issues such as this one. (So no cache on it) and I was still unable to post.  Also, I don't seem to have any issues in the forum at all either.

Cheers.

On 09/01/2022 at 08:29, Ely said:

As I said, it is not a cache issue, as it happens with different browsers, I don't even use Firefox, just have it there as a backup for issues such as this one. (So no cache on it) and I was still unable to post.  Also, I don't seem to have any issues in the forum at all either.

Cheers.

Yeah, it seems only connected to main pages and my clearing of the cache was just what looked to have fixed mine. It may not have had any affect at all and whatever the actual cause was stopped during my troubleshooting. Are you able to post on any front page articles, or just the one? I do see one person was able to post on the one connected.

On 09/01/2022 at 09:34, Jester124 said:

Yeah, it seems only connected to main pages and my clearing of the cache was just what looked to have fixed mine. It may not have had any affect at all and whatever the actual cause was stopped during my troubleshooting. Are you able to post on any front page articles, or just the one? I do see one person was able to post on the one connected.

LOL yeah, it's funny, they commented right after I posted this question here. And to answer your question, yes, I'm able to comment on other articles on the homepage. I did comment on another article, and it went through without issue. Maybe it's just that one, not sure.

Had the same issue for some weeks now, submitting a comment to an article with no comments submits to a URL without the article ID, refreshing the page a number of times does eventually fix it. Check in developer tools > network and see if you see the same issue

Funny again, just tried once more, after numerous tries, and it finally went through. But there's definitely an issue lurking around somewhere.

• Like 2

On 09/01/2022 at 08:40, Ely said:

LOL yeah, it's funny, they commented right after I posted this question here. And to answer your question, yes, I'm able to comment on other articles on the homepage. I haven't tried other posts except that one. Maybe it's just that one, not sure.

Got to love troubleshooting website issues!

On 09/01/2022 at 08:41, n_K said:

Had the same issue for some weeks now, submitting a comment to an article with no comments submits to a URL without the article ID, refreshing the page a number of times does eventually fix it. Check in developer tools > network and see if you see the same issue

That would have been a good thing to check and more than likely was my issue. To think of it, my issue was on a page that did not have any comments as well at the time.

On 09/01/2022 at 08:46, n_K said:

Just went to test it and it worked first time, isn't that always the way! 🤣

Always! Anything to make people look crazy. lol

I've been having this issue for months and it seems to be getting worse.

I've reported it a couple times but can't narrow down the cause and nothing shows errored in F12 dev console when it occurs either.

It seems to occur mostly for the first several minutes after an article is published

@DaveLegg I'm pretty sure I've brought up this issue to you before. maybe it's time to look into it again as it seems to be occurring more frequently now.

• Like 2

On 10/01/2022 at 10:18, Brandon H said:

I've been having this issue for months and it seems to be getting worse.

I've reported it a couple times but can't narrow down the cause and nothing shows errored in F12 dev console when it occurs either.

It seems to occur mostly for the first several minutes after an article is published

@DaveLegg I'm pretty sure I've brought up this issue to you before. maybe it's time to look into it again as it seems to be occurring more frequently now.

I wonder if it's something related to the site's security/firewall/anti-spam defenses. It has happened to me several times. Also, the article I was trying to comment on was not new, even though it had no comments it has been published for more than 24 hours.

I have encountered this issue more than once as well.

Greetings.

On 12/01/2022 at 10:43, Sledge said:

Currently can't add comments either. Add comment isn't disabled, just does nothing when clicked. 

Yes, pretty annoying, seems to be happening to a lot of people.

• Like 1

Additional info from todays posting efforts: 

- I can't add comment if I'm the first to post (Add comment is enabled, once click it disables but no comment appears).

- Once someone else posts I can now comment.

- Forum threads are all out of whack. People quote someone and it appears in the middle of another chain of posts within the same article.

See: Comment quoting out of order \ mismatched

Look above this comment by SidVicious and someone the msg below however it appears in a different chain:

SidVicious

6 hours ago

Xbox has no games that interests me...the last one was Lost Odyssey on the Xbox 360.
This aquisition changed nothing.

This also occurs with people quoting my posts. 

Have seen this fairly regularly in the past week, the above is latest example.

No wonder This Article on the front page has no comments. I just tried to comment on it and the same thing happened. It just shows that "No" sign, and it won't do anything.

It was also quite a mission to post this comment on the forum, the site was almost unreachable, but I guess that's something just temporary and totally unrelated to the other issue.

On 21/01/2022 at 19:26, Ely said:

No wonder This Article on the front page has no comments. I just tried to comment on it and the same thing happened. It just shows that "No" sign, and it won't do anything.

It was also quite a mission to post this comment on the forum, the site was almost unreachable, but I guess that's something just temporary and totally unrelated to the other issue.

I have been having some luck as of late, including being able to post on the mentioned page on first attempt. This issue is way to random 😕

On 21/01/2022 at 20:44, Jester124 said:

I have been having some luck as of late, including being able to post on the mentioned page on first attempt. This issue is way to random 😕

Yeah, it's definitely so random and weird of an issue. Hopefully they can find the root and fix it. I'm sure the reason many articles have no comment lately is because of this bug.

On 09/01/2022 at 07:41, n_K said:

Yep, I’ve seen this too. 

On 09/01/2022 at 08:11, Ely said:

I'm unable to post comments on certain articles on the site. For instance, I cannot make comments on the article Here.  Any ideas what might be happening?

It's not a cache issue because I tried with both Edge and Firefox with the same results. When I press the "Add Comment" button, nothing happens, except I get that "No" sign.

photo_2022-01-09_09-08-20.thumb.jpg.31becc9253f0a7f371e90b017aa934ce.jpg

I have had the same issue you describe over the last few days and if I go back to the article a day or two later then it works as expected. Very strange.

On 22/01/2022 at 12:17, skinnyJM said:

I have had the same issue you describe over the last few days and if I go back to the article a day or two later then it works as expected. Very strange.

Yeah, it seems to be happening to a lot of people. Not sure if it will be fixed  any time soon because I haven't seen any acknowledgement from the Neowin staff regarding this issue so far.

On 22/01/2022 at 12:38, Steven P. said:

I have asked @DaveLeggand @Redmakto chime in here, as they will have to see what is causing it.

Thanks man, much appreciated!

Is this related to thread view? I post from up to 7 different devices and they all randomly change default thread view.

Have noticed if I set 'sort by oldest (thread view)' then add comment works.

Tested on https://www.neowin.net/news/bobby-kotick-ends-employee-meeting-quickly-fails-to-address-activision-blizzard-culture/

First post worked 'Just a ######' was the comment.

On 22/01/2022 at 14:19, Sledge said:

Is this related to thread view? I post from up to 7 different devices and they all randomly change default thread view.

Have noticed if I set 'sort by oldest (thread view)' then add comment works.

Tested on https://www.neowin.net/news/bobby-kotick-ends-employee-meeting-quickly-fails-to-address-activision-blizzard-culture/

First post worked 'Just a ######' was the comment.

Unfortunately, that didn't do it for me.  I still cannot send comments regardless of the thread view.  For example, I have tried more than 20 times in different ways to comment Here to no avail. I also tried reloading the page multiple times.