Whats a Non Weak 1080P Video Card to pair with my Intel 10700?

Wondering what is a Non Budget Video card to Pair with my Intel 10700?     Currently Using a Evga Geforce 1660 Super card (Replaced Geforce 1050 2GB at the time)  as was all i could afford in 2020 to go with my system upgrade at the time?     Sorta looking at 3060 12GB at this point, just gonna have to spend more than i originally spent for this card most likely i think, unless 3070 Prices go down more, then might jump for one of those

Well i prefer sticking with Intel Processor and Nvidia graphics card,  Budget could be up to $379 or about 

Now if i had an AMD processor, i would go for AMD GPU like i used to run with my AMD FX system in 2016

If need be just saves more funds, and purchases one in a few months

Typical Games Played are as follows

Battlefield 2042

Secondlife 

American Truck SImulator

Euro Truck Simulator 2

Wreckfest

Firefighter Simulator the Squad

Need For Speed Hot Pursuit Remastered

Grand Theft Auto V

Forza Horizon 5

Power Supply currently

is EVGA G3 650 Watt Modular with PCie 6+2 connections x2

Edited by bikeman25
  • Like 1

On 20/09/2022 at 08:12, bikeman25 said:

Well i prefer sticking with Intel Processor and Nvidia graphics card,  Budget could be up to $379 or about 

Now if i had an AMD processor, i would go for AMD GPU like i used to run with my AMD FX system in 2016

actually you can pair an Intel CPU with an AMD card, no issues, same for AMD CPU with an Nvidia card. :) 

Right now at least, most of the best deals are definitely AMD cards like I said above.

Also since you are willing to go up to $379 or so, you can even consider the RX 6700 10GB or RX 6700 XT. The latter is equivalent to the RTX 3060 Ti in non-ray tracing.

https://www.neowin.net/deals/dont-miss-amd-rx-6900-xt-6800-xt-6700-xt-gpu-for-the-cheapest-prices-ever/

https://www.neowin.net/deals/amd-radeon-gpu-deals-august-2022-up-to-400-off-on-rx-6900-xt-6800-xt-6700-xt-6600-xt/

Since the games you list don't feature ray tracing, I believe an AMD card at the budget you list is perfect. :) 

Well i'll look at them, but not sure on the AMD side of things,  but guess won't hurt to look at and research more.      Who knows someday may upgrade again to AMD based Processor and Motherboard again if i can't afford future Intel again.   

CPU Cooler currently is ARCTIC Freezer 7 X (only cooler PC shop had in stock that was Air Cooler to replace Intel Stock LGA 1200 fan in May

Probably work on slowly improving Desktop over the course of next year or two as funds allow

Current Case Thermaltake V200 TG RGB (someday might upgrade that to Airflow oriented case, maybe by Birthday possibly, if its not a pain in the rear to transfer the components over, provided i have RL peace with annoying family home more these days, last time i had alot of peace back in 2009, and successfully transferred my old AMD Athlon 64 3500+ system to another case

• Like 1

On 20/09/2022 at 08:53, bikeman25 said:

Well i'll look at them, but not sure on the AMD side of things,  but guess won't hurt to look at and research more.

Not really your fault though coz AMD changes its name way too often on its GPU side. Lets hope they stick with the current naming scheme.

In case you needed an idea about how AMD cards stack up against Nvidia's in non ray-tracing at 1080p:

• The RX 6600 is slightly slower than the RTX 3060 while the RX 6600 XT is slightly faster. Meanwhile, the RX 6650 XT is faster still.
  • The RX 6700 XT is slightly faster than the RTX 3060 Ti and has 12GB VRAM (not necessary for 1080p). The RX 6700 10GB is slightly slower and is only available as a Sapphire Pulse model.

hope this was helpful. :)

There is no way I would upgrade from a 1660 right now as it's still plenty good enough for general 1080p gaming. hell, even my 1050 Ti 4GB ain't bad considering it's age and your 1660 is noticeably better than that.

in short, you will get more for your money spent if you wait until you truly do need to upgrade.

On 20/09/2022 at 15:56, ThaCrip said:

There is no way I would upgrade from a 1660 right now as it's still plenty good enough for general 1080p gaming. hell, even my 1050 Ti 4GB ain't bad considering it's age and your 1660 is noticeably better than that.

in short, you will get more for your money spent if you wait until you truly do need to upgrade.

I'd say the RX 6700 XT for around $399, which is around 80% faster than OP's current 1660 SUPER (according to TechPowerUp data), is a decent upgrade. What I'd would suggest though is waiting to see if prices of GPUs drop further due to the ETH Merge. Imagine getting a 6700 XT for around $350.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gtx-1660-super.c3458

On 20/09/2022 at 06:26, ThaCrip said:

Yeah think gonna end up doing more research and holding off upgrading card right away,  despite comments made in other forums and Online games that i got overkill Processor and weak budget video card (thats what got me into thinking ok i'll fix that and upgrade to a 3060 or AMD GPU depending on what i decide on after researching everything

Bought the most card i could afford in May 2020 at the time,  plus at first wanted it to fit into my Asus G11CD-K OEM Case,  with my Intel I7 7700, but while it fit,  it ran super hot,  so made decision at the time, ok new case, new motherboard,  new cpu, and kept everything else from old system like drives, power supply, ram, etc.       Shop didn't offer anything on AMD side when i mentioned upgrading components,  as they stated old board couldn't transfer to new case,  but they said we do have a Intel 10700 bundle with Gigabyte B460M motherboard, so i was like ok i'll take it

• Like 1

On 20/09/2022 at 06:57, hellowalkman said:

I'd say the RX 6700 XT for around $399, which is around 80% faster than OP's current 1660 SUPER (according to TechPowerUp data), is a decent upgrade. What I'd would suggest though is waiting to see if prices of GPUs drop further due to the ETH Merge. Imagine getting a 6700 XT for around $350.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gtx-1660-super.c3458

80% faster is a solid upgrade and all, as I can't complain from that aspect, but I would argue it's probably not enough of a real world difference for most games to justify spending $400 currently.

so it's better to wait until one really needs the upgrade as this way you will get a even faster GPU (say twice or three times as fast etc) for the same or less $.

On 20/09/2022 at 10:09, bikeman25 said:

plus at first wanted it to fit into my Asus G11CD-K OEM Case,  with my Intel I7 7700, but while it fit,  it ran super hot,  so made decision at the time, ok new case, new motherboard,  new cpu, and kept everything else from old system like drives, power supply, ram, etc.

Hell, even that CPU is plenty fast enough for gaming. as you already know that's 7th gen and even my 3rd gen is still generally fast enough for a high percentage of games (maybe all or close to all(?)). that's what's nice about any semi-modern CPU's... they tend to last a long time before a upgrade is worthwhile/really needed.

but you said, "it ran super hot" ; how hot? ; as even my i5-3550 with a i3-2120 stock heatsink/fan (so it does not have the copper contact the official i5 heatsink's do as I used the heatsink/fan from my original i3-2120 CPU on the i5-3550 to save $ and just applied some 'Arctic Silver 5' paste which I have had since March 2006 and applied it on that i5-3550 CPU in the year 2020) and while it did run a bit on the hotter side initially, I undervolted it by -0.120v, which shaved about 12c off peak temps, and does not run anywhere near a temp where I am all that concerned. I would say it's probably low-to-mid 60's when gaming. even under unrealistic situations in terms of heat production, like with Prime95's Torture Test, while runs a bit hotter, is still nothing too concerning in my opinion. because I am pretty sure my CPU will throttle itself at 105c (so I would imagine around this range is not safe) and after the undervolting, even with Prime95, turning AVX off (with AVX on temps will increase further though), which makes it a bit more real world worst case for temps under a constant full load, looking at the stuff I logged showed about 70c peak but was generally 67-69c back in June 2020 (I typically left it going for I think 15-20min as that's about how long it took for temps to peak/level off) and room temps were higher than a more comfortable/standard room temp to, which increases CPU heat a bit. but since then I raised voltage a hair from -0.130v to -0.120v (I suspect it will likely correct a fairly rare issue I had during gaming (at least on some games) causing my system to freeze), so those temps might be about 1c higher. so about 70c, while not 'optimal', is probably not TOO concerning either and like I say in gaming, it does not reach 100% CPU load, which is why I am probably more in the 60-65c range in general, which in my personal opinion, while maybe not 'optimal', is far from bad as I would consider it more safe than dangerous in my best guesstimations as it does not seem there is any concrete info on what temps are bad for a CPU, only guesses. but with that said, I would imagine anything 50's C temp range or lower should be at least safe enough (more on the safer side than bad side for sure) and even if say 60's C range is slightly out of the ordinary, like say a mild concern, if it only minimally shaves off overall life of CPU, then it's a non-issue in the real world long term and like I say it's not like the CPU runs like that all of the time either, which further lowers any potential risk here.

but even if the CPU did run around temps I would be more concerned with, and the CPU died a bit prematurely, I could probably find another used CPU for near dirt cheap/dirt cheap to replace it and be set for many years again. besides, it seems unless someone really abuses a CPU it's probably going to last a really long time as I would guess 15-20 years conservatively and could be well beyond that, especially given it's not like it's under heavy load all that often either.

• Like 1

Well Video Card Temps was in my old Asus G11CD-K case was up to 87C  just idle,     CPU Temps with then stock CPU Fan was up to at times 85C or higher.       So i was like well time to replace Case, and such.     Usually not under a big heavy load, off and on i'd say i do heavy loads

Video card was producing so much heat in that case, even the side panel was feeling hot when felt it 

So i was like well replacing,  though grabbed the flashy RGB case since looked good in local PC store, but cleaning the front fans i found out is a pain in the rear on this Thermaltake V200 TG RGB case

Traded in Old I7 7700,  and Case, and such.

Then stayed with Stock CPU Cooler on my Intel 10700 they used til could afford to replace it, then jumped on replacing,  originally was gonna use Be Quiet Pure Rock 2,  but had issues installing it,   CPU Temps with 10700 with Stock CPU Fan was sometimes up to mid 90's almost 100C,  so i was like no matter what replacing,  so went for whatever Air Cooler local shop has in stock, as forgot to take along the Be Quiet Pure Rock 2 that i failed on installing myself,  so ended up with Arctic Freezer 7X (never tested the temps with Prime 95 though as yet)   

As for video card temps in this case typically idle 47 or lower depending on room temp, and during gaming max seen was 75C most of the time

• Like 1

I'm not sure why you are asking honestly. If you're not willing to buy AMD then just buy the best nVidia card you can afford. Pretty much all cards are 1080 king these days as long as you avoid **** like 6030. I mean you don't have many option here it's either 3060, 3060 Ti or 3070 pick your poison depending on your budget. They will all be 1080 capable cards anyway.

Edited by LaP

On 20/09/2022 at 10:09, bikeman25 said:

Yeah think gonna end up doing more research and holding off upgrading card right away,  despite comments made in other forums and Online games that i got overkill Processor and weak budget video card (thats what got me into thinking ok i'll fix that and upgrade to a 3060 or AMD GPU depending on what i decide on after researching everything

Bought the most card i could afford in May 2020 at the time,  plus at first wanted it to fit into my Asus G11CD-K OEM Case,  with my Intel I7 7700, but while it fit,  it ran super hot,  so made decision at the time, ok new case, new motherboard,  new cpu, and kept everything else from old system like drives, power supply, ram, etc.       Shop didn't offer anything on AMD side when i mentioned upgrading components,  as they stated old board couldn't transfer to new case,  but they said we do have a Intel 10700 bundle with Gigabyte B460M motherboard, so i was like ok i'll take it

Well the comments that are made to you are right. Unless you work with your computer as making money for the work you do with the computer there was no reason to spend money on a i7. You should have bought a i5 and spend the difference on a better GPU/PSU or put it in your pocket. Buying from store is not the best option specially if you are living in a small city. You should maybe look at buying online next time honestly. But what is done is done and unless the 1660 Super is not good enough for 1080p (which might be the case in newer titles like CP 2077) then no reason to upgrade it.

On 21/09/2022 at 12:40, LaP said:

Buying from store is not the best option specially if you are living in a small city. You should maybe look at buying online next time honestly.

Unless it's from MicroCenter.. :laugh: 

• Like 1

Never Been to a Microcenter unforuately.   

This was a Custom built from Local PC Shop, as wasn't comfortable building it myself or installing the CPU Cooler.

I tried with the Be Quiet Pure Rock 2,  but didn't do well, so just decided to let them upgrade the CPU Cooler the proper way--after they originally built the system in June 2020, i figured yeah they can do the cooler upgrade to in May.       

I picked out the Components wanted, they gave me a time frame expected to be done, told me i could trade in the Old I7 and Motherboard, and any other components didn't need for new one, i was like ok great.     

Video card did install myself originally in the Asus I7 7700 OEM Case, except it ran too hot in that one.     I believe i can do properly whenever i get a 3060 or similar card that upgrade myself hopefully, i mean can't go as bad as the Be Quiet Pure Rock 2 install went

Previous System that i traded in also was I7 7700 PC, same as Secondary Laptop Machine,  main reason went for I7 as do sometimes Online Gaming, Light Video Editing at times,  Music listening, Gaming,  And Other tasks,  sure i don't make money with the Computer systems, but i felt the I7 was the best choice as previous system was I7 as well

Hardware wise still learning very slowly on proper way to install various things, and such, no idea when i'll fully learn on the CPU Cooler install part, as don't have older system nowadays to practice with, and sure as heck not trying with this one again myself

Short answer, don't go below a 3060Ti or 6600 for AMD.  With anything else, buy what you can afford.  If you go below those two, you're not gaining enough to bother.

Just watch Youtube for some benchmarks with the games you play.   The only issue with NVidia cards right now is the pricing is still high for lower models.  Someone posted a link to a 6700XT that was $369 on the AMD subreddit.  But if you can get a 4060Ti for under $400, that might be your best bet.  My friend is running one at 1080p and he likes it.  I run at 1440p and have the last few years, so don't really follow the 1080p benchmarks too much, but if you go too low, then don't bother spending the money at all.

Hello,

Do you have a timeframe for your purchase?  I suspect that current-gen video cards are going to be one of the items that are massively discounted for the holiday season in order to make room for new GPUs from AMD, Intel and Nvidia.  If you can wait a month or so for purchasing, you may be able to get a very good deal.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 2

On 21/09/2022 at 21:49, goretsky said:

Hello,

Do you have a timeframe for your purchase?  I suspect that current-gen video cards are going to be one of the items that are massively discounted for the holiday season in order to make room for new GPUs from AMD, Intel and Nvidia.  If you can wait a month or so for purchasing, you may be able to get a very good deal.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

AMD just dropped the price of the 6000 series. Price will likely continue to drop when the newer models will be released for sure.

• Like 2

Yeah will continue to read on AMD cards, and watch Reviews, and decide which is best choice to go with in a few months,  i don't mind waiting for a few months to make sure i get the best value and hopefully a good card to last me a long while.   as not planning a whole platform upgrade again anytime soon as yet--unless i end up with extra funds (unlikely again though) then i'd do a whole platform upgrade once again

Most likely gonna have to save for future platform upgrade if i decide to 

• Like 1