What was the last movie you watched? (2023 edition)

Creed 3, 7/10 from me, not as good as 1 and 2 honestly.  I wasn't a fan of how they did the final fight.  I get Jordan is a anime fan, but this is a live action movie and not a anime movie.  Wasted potential in the final fight IMO.

On a Wing and a Prayer - IMDB - Amazon Prime

Stars Dennis Quaid and Heather Graham.  Based on Doug White’s 2009 emergency landing of a King Air 200 plane carrying his wife and children.

0 out of 10.  This was a horrible movie...just horrible.  I did finish watching it because I became intrigued on just how terrible a movie could be and still get released.

This movie is a journey but well worth the trip. My only annoyance is I struggled understanding the final five minutes. If anyone can offer their analysis on the ending it would be appreciated. Overall though, I genuinely enjoyed the movie and predict Gaffigan will have a bright future in movies to follow his stellar stand up career. He is one of those rare comedians who can be both clean and funny.

I watched Operation Fortune last week, a bit straight forward for a Guy Ritchie film, but pretty good..

At the weekend I watched No Country for Old Men again and The Batman, again.

I watched Kill Boksoon on Netflix, and I really liked this Korean movie, first observation this movie is not full of clichés that we find in the vast majority of Asian movies. A professional killer who has more difficulty with her mother-daughter relationship than executing contracts. Good action scenes without the exaggeration of Asian films, to which we are normally entitled.

I would give it an 8/10

image.jpeg

The Stuff (1985) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090094/ IMDB rating: 5.9

Watched it last night. I don't understand how it has such a high rating, the acting is terrible, a lot of the sound is dubbed (and very distracting) scenes just ended abruptly, or in some cases day became night within seconds (walking from bright sunlit day into a building, and then it is night, which can be seen from the windows) or vice versa. It's not even a "fun bad movie" like the Sleepaway Camp movies imo because the lead is just unlikeable and acted like a poor man's Forrest Gump. I've seen him often (older) in supporting roles but it is clear he can't Carrey a movie. Larry Cohen said it was supposed to be a Comedy and the distributor (New Line) pushed for editing it into a horror. Neither were achieved.

No wonder I never heard of this movie back in 1985 when it came out.

I should have guessed from the opening minutes of the film when "the Stuff" is found, how badly that was acted.

Introduced my niece (7 years old) to Star Wars (A New Hope) last night.  A few nuggets…

1) I would just grab his mask and be like “oooh got your mask”

2) If I were android, I’d pretend to be broken so those people didn’t steal me (Jawas)

3) I think his dad is Darth Vader 

She literally called it as soon as Obi Wan spoke about Luke’a father! Spoilers lol

I watched Operation Fortune the other night, definitely not the best Guy Ritchie movie, nowhere near as good as lock stock, Snatch, or Mean Machine (and that was a remake!).  Billed as a comedy but only got a few half hearted chuckles out of me. mind you I did fall asleep half way through, although I don't think I actually missed anything affecting the plot.  5/10 and that's being generous.

Also watched Edge of War last night, oh boy, where to start with this one. Was just a mishmash of stock military documentary footage, with a "story" thrown in. some of the acting was so bad it was laughable. Special effects were virtually non-existent, US marines suddenly became British Royal Marines, and back again, even noticed some footage from Vietnam.  British sailors on American ships. Night time action sequences were clearly filmed during the day, bright shadows were visible, using a green filter was an obvious attempt to fool the audience. A mad "hacker" which gave no context whatsoever.  Obviously filmed in a country where you drove on the left, with the film mirrored to make it look like it was America, might have worked if there wasn't visible number plates and "FBI" badges in reverse.  Was released in 2019, but spookily it did predict the Russian invasion of Ukraine. 1/10, but that was only because it was fun picking out all the errors.

On 09/04/2023 at 18:17, Steven P. said:

image.jpeg

The Stuff (1985) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090094/ IMDB rating: 5.9

Watched it last night. I don't understand how it has such a high rating, the acting is terrible, a lot of the sound is dubbed (and very distracting) scenes just ended abruptly, or in some cases day became night within seconds (walking from bright sunlit day into a building, and then it is night, which can be seen from the windows) or vice versa. It's not even a "fun bad movie" like the Sleepaway Camp movies imo because the lead is just unlikeable and acted like a poor man's Forrest Gump. I've seen him often (older) in supporting roles but it is clear he can't Carrey a movie. Larry Cohen said it was supposed to be a Comedy and the distributor (New Line) pushed for editing it into a horror. Neither were achieved.

No wonder I never heard of this movie back in 1985 when it came out.

I should have guessed from the opening minutes of the film when "the Stuff" is found, how badly that was acted.

The Stuff is one of those movies where it's so completely terrible, that it HAS to be good... A cult classic on the same lines as Attack of the Killer Tomatoes.

• Like 1

On 09/04/2023 at 20:59, FloatingFatMan said:

The Stuff is one of those movies where it's so completely terrible, that it HAS to be good... A cult classic on the same lines as Attack of the Killer Tomatoes.

Or Killer Klowns From Outer Space. So terrible that you have to see it to believe it.

Hausu is another one that comes to mind...The whole thing with the bananas, we were in stitches over it.

• Like 1

On the subject of bad films, I just watch "65." I wanted Jurassic Park, and I got a lot of running around in a forest. Almost no dinosaurs, and Jurassic Park did them better.

But it did make me think. If you want a film about people connecting in the wilderness, you have to check out "Hunt for the Wilderpeople." It got me emotionally, and the terrain of New Zealand is pretty nuts! Oh, and it has Sam Neill, so there's your link to Jurassic Park. ;)

• Like 1

On 09/04/2023 at 18:53, Nick H. said:

On the subject of bad films, I just watch "65." I wanted Jurassic Park, and I got a lot of running around in a forest. Almost no dinosaurs, and Jurassic Park did them better.

But it did make me think. If you want a film about people connecting in the wilderness, you have to check out "Hunt for the Wilderpeople." It got me emotionally, and the terrain of New Zealand is pretty nuts! Oh, and it has Sam Neill, so there's your link to Jurassic Park. ;)

I watched that Friday night in my theater,it wasn't THAT bad, I think you just set your expectations too high.. But they should have switched the 2 females around

Spoiler

The 1st one was on screen for a couple mins and made me care, the other one I couldn't have cared if she got eaten by a dinosaur.

On 10/04/2023 at 02:16, Warwagon said:

I watched that Friday night in my theater,it wasn't THAT bad, I think you just set your expectations too high.. But they should have switched the 2 females around

Ok, let me rephrase:

I was expecting a film about a modern man surrounded by dinosaurs fighting for survival. I got Adam Driver looking after a kid, and very little screen time involving dinosaurs.

The premise was awesome, the execution...not so much. As I've pointed out already, if I wanted a film about estranged people bonding there are far better films out there without the allure of a dino-film (see "Hunt for the Wilderpeople" for my latest favourite on that subject).

Maybe I walked in with the wrong expectations, although I had almost none. But what I got was...meh. Just my take, everyone has their own thing.

On 09/04/2023 at 21:28, Nick H. said:

Ok, let me rephrase:

I was expecting a film about a modern man surrounded by dinosaurs fighting for survival. I got Adam Driver looking after a kid, and very little screen time involving dinosaurs.

The premise was awesome, the execution...not so much. As I've pointed out already, if I wanted a film about estranged people bonding there are far better films out there without the allure of a dino-film (see "Hunt for the Wilderpeople" for my latest favourite on that subject).

Maybe I walked in with the wrong expectations, although I had almost none. But what I got was...meh. Just my take, everyone has their own thing.

My mom just watched it and she sent me this message

It was just stupid gratuitous dinosaur effects. Plot... Get from point a to point b. That was it. I'd give it a 2

But I didn't care about any of them.  The setup was all of 5  minutes to make me give a ####/care about him only because he had a girl at home who was sick and he'd be gone 2 years.. nope. Don't care.

On 10/04/2023 at 05:02, Warwagon said:

My mom just watched it and she sent me this message

It was just stupid gratuitous dinosaur effects. Plot... Get from point a to point b. That was it. I'd give it a 2

But I didn't care about any of them.  The setup was all of 5  minutes to make me give a ####/care about him only because he had a girl at home who was sick and he'd be gone 2 years.. nope. Don't care.

Minus the comments on the amount of dinosaurs, I'd be inclined to agree.

The Super Mario Bros. Movie - Super Mario Wiki, the Mario encyclopedia

It was good and the kids will love it. To me, it felt very rushed. It's made for kids and hard to get a kid to sit through a 2-hour movie, so I understand they had to tell the story in 90 minutes. Sara asked me what the funniest part of the movie was for me. I said,

"Honestly, it's still the Mario plumbing commercial they showed already, where the woman is reading a script and looked confused as she said "And the only thing they haven't drained is my bank account" 🤣 .. still makes me laugh.

5 / 10

• Like 1

I finally got around to watching Avatar : The way of water the other day. I can see why it took him so long to get around to doing it, as a lot of it is set underwater (what is it with Cameron and underwater stuff!!). Its pretty much the same faire as the first one, but still, its worth it for the visuals alone....just stunning!

7/10

• George P pinned this topic
  • 1 month later...

Nefarious (2023)

"I thought it was easily the best movie on demonic possession ever made" - Fr. Carlos Martins (a real life exorcist) (source = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOvMyZRKwug (a 16 minute video))

but what makes it better than your typical horror variation with a similar theme it is focuses more on the psychological aspect (which Sean Patrick Flanery's performance carries) instead of the usual BS movies like this do. he [Fr. Carlos Martins] basically dissed another movie that came out this year 'The Popes Exorcist', starring Russell Crowe, which basically had little to do with the person it was based on (i.e. Fr. Gabriel Amorth (1925-2016) (who was an exorcist in Rome)) etc and instead went the typical Hollywood horror variation route that's a dime-a-dozen.

at the end of the day, based on my initial viewing of Nefarious, currently ill give it a... 6/10 (which is my minimum score for a Thumbs Up). but I won't be surprised if this grows on me a bit with repeat viewings.

p.s. https://www.catholicworldreport.com/2023/04/27/if-you-dont-believe-in-the-devil-declare-war-on-him-and-find-out-what-happens/  ( Writer/director Cary Solomon and priest/theological advisor Fr. Darrin Merlino talk about the making of the film Nefarious )

image.jpeg

Operation Fortune: Ruse de Guerre (2023) IMDB rating 6.3 Stevie rating: 6.0 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7985704/

Hugh Grant and Aubrey Plaza saved this for me, it went on a little too long, but it's largely forgettable and an otherwise good 2-hour filler. Felt like Jason Statham phone it in mostly, I've never seen him act any other way than he does in all his films :p 

Watch it on Amazon Prime if you have it.

• Like 1

I re-watched The Secret of NIMH on laserdisc! Had to flip the disc a few times but well worth it. A great family movie. 9.5/10