• Internet Explorer
    • IE Alternative (MyIE2, etc)
    • Netscape
    • Safari
    • Konqueror
    • Lynx
    • K-Meleon
    • Other

I've said it before in the Opera wins best browser of 2004 award thread, and I'll say it again (but shorter) again.

Both browsers are great. I used Opera for ages, because it had features I could not leave behind when I used Firefox. But now for the first time, I uninstalled Opera, and made my best effort to customize Firefox as much as I needed and wanted to. Now I can't remember what was so good about Opera that made me stay with it. Weird, eh.

I was originally planning to switch to Firefox when 1.0 was released......but Opera crashed 2wice in one day for me and I got mad and went fire eyes and head spinning and uninstalled Opera, downloaded Firefox.

Now i'm a firefox junkie. hehe.

I use 4 browsers (in order of use)

Firefox:laugh:

IE6

MYIE2

Opera

all 4 are good, but i like firefox interface

BTW nobody has voted for netscape LOL :p :rofl:

Both browsers are great. I used Opera for ages, because it had features I could not leave behind when I used Firefox. But now for the first time, I uninstalled Opera, and made my best effort to customize Firefox as much as I needed and wanted to. Now I can't remember what was so good about Opera that made me stay with it. Weird, eh.

Yeah... I used to use Opera and thought it was really great. I tried Phoenix, as it was back then, and found it slow and didn't know what the fuss was about. I started to find Opera more annoying as so many sites wouldn't work and it would crash (forcing me to load up IE too often), so I gave Phoenix a try again and loved it (once I found the mouse gestures plugin). Now, with the past several major Firefox builds (0.7, 0.8, 0.9) it has become a huge amount more responsive and faster, as well as adding really great features.

There are only a few things I can fault it on: the default skin for 0.9, 0.9.2, is really poor imo; the profiles can get corrupted and causes problems with extensions; and that when downloads are complete you can't click on the MSN style popup that appears to launch the file.

Yeah... I used to use Opera and thought it was really great. I tried Phoenix, as it was back then, and found it slow and didn't know what the fuss was about. I started to find Opera more annoying as so many sites wouldn't work and it would crash (forcing me to load up IE too often), so I gave Phoenix a try again and loved it (once I found the mouse gestures plugin). Now, with the past several major Firefox builds (0.7, 0.8, 0.9) it has become a huge amount more responsive and faster, as well as adding really great features.

There are only a few things I can fault it on: the default skin for 0.9, 0.9.2, is really poor imo; the profiles can get corrupted and causes problems with extensions; and that when downloads are complete you can't click on the MSN style popup that appears to launch the file.

I wish it did that, instead of opening Download manager or browsing there...

Firefox

I changed to Firefox 3 or 4 months ago. Mainly for security reasons but also for the tabbed browsing, the pop-up blocker, it's small, it doesn't hook to Windows, the download manager and it's easy to use.

i have never gone back and read the first few pages of this thread...i started to get confused when i saw so many people encouraging IE5/6....then i looked at the date of their posts, and it was waaaay back in sept. 2001. :D

[edit] oh, and firefox here :laugh:

Someone probably HAS mentioned Avant, but a long time ago. Avant if I'm not mistaken relies on IE's core, and therefore carries it's flaws and weaknesses.

IMO, Firefox is good if you are used to the Internet Explorer style browser. In fact, if you know how to use IE then it does not take very long to work out Firefox.

However, I switched to Opera back before Mozilla was Firefox and it still sucked (tried several browsers, including netscape and even the horrid Neoplanet). Now I'm so far converted to Opera's style that I find even Internet Explorer strange to use.

It was all timing. I might be gagging over Firefox if I had changed browsers only recently. But my descent into alternate browsers happened to soon for Firefox to pick me up ;) I've tried using Firefox several times, but I just can't get a feel for it....

IE 5/6 is easily going to win, because it is what nearly everyone uses.

Wow, how things have changed since 2001. Actually, back in 2001, I would have said the same. Now Mozilla/Firefox is the clear winner. Question: has this pole been reset since 2001?

What an old thread.

Wow, how things have changed since 2001.  Actually, back in 2001, I would have said the same.  Now Mozilla/Firefox is the clear winner.  Question: has this pole been reset since 2001?

What an old thread.

i said the exact same thing like 5 replies up or so in this thread...

Guess what people... after testing an upcoming project of mine on a fresh install of Firefox, well lets just say IE's had it's day!

I've been sticking with IE for years now and thought I would never leave it but the day has finally come.. bye Internet Explorer, i'll miss ya buddy.

Apart from other minor niggles, I dislike the way that Firefox displays it's Favourites/Bookmarks.

I like to keep all the Folders together & then display any loose urls underneath, similar to IE, Opera displays like this aswell.

If someone knows how to view Favourites/Bookmarks that way then I'd really appreciate guidance. :)