Titanic tourist sub goes missing

On 20/06/2023 at 15:32, spikey_richie said:

The current estimate is roughly 40hrs of oxygen left... 

i'll go with zero hours left when they lost comm to it

On 20/06/2023 at 20:41, DocM said:

Oops...

Capitalist, where profits matter more than safety and lives.

On 20/06/2023 at 23:36, Matthew S. said:

Capitalist, where profits matter mo7re than safety and lives.

How does that explain Soyuz 1 or Soyuz 11?  Chernobyl?

Cutting corners exists in all economic systems because it's human nature. Inexcusable, but common.

On 21/06/2023 at 08:56, SidVicious said:

OK? The CEO and operator of the sub was a 61 year old white guy. I am pretty sure "50 year old white guys" was not meant to mean to be a  litmus test for employment but more a "mindset" they were not looking for as most of the employees (from the video anyway) were in fact male and white.

Edited by Good Bot, Bad Bot

sounds like they are hearing more "noise" but they aren't sure where it's coming from? they have to have some clue if they are picking banging up

On 21/06/2023 at 16:49, neufuse said:

sounds like they are hearing more "noise" but they aren't sure where it's coming from? they have to have some clue if they are picking banging up

Tonight's news said that several teams have detected noises from different locations, which should allow rough triangulation. Let's hope so.

As far as him not wanting to hire experienced  submariners, that's his loss... Possibly literally. Idiot.

On 22/06/2023 at 07:48, neufuse said:

99% chance they were dead an hour into this... be you anything rapid decompression

Or they are hung up on something, or were hit by debris. A while back a submersible was almost hit by a piece of propeller falling off.

It's also possible they were free-floating and had some other systems failure. By now the galvanic timed ballast releases should have dissolved, dropping the ballast. The vehicle would have popped up to the surface and hasn't been spotted. Unlikely.

On 22/06/2023 at 12:01, Nick H. said:

BBC news just reported that a debris field has been found.

US Coast Guard will have a news conference at 1500 Eastern

On 22/06/2023 at 12:01, Nick H. said:

BBC news just reported that a debris field has been found.

If the debris are likely from the unit, I'm assuming that means an implosion happened:/

On 22/06/2023 at 17:32, ATLien_0 said:

If the debris are likely from the unit, I'm assuming that means an implosion happened:/

Well there's not really much to take from it until they investigate further. As @DocMsaid, they will provide an update in ~ 2hrs30mins.

If it is the sub, and if it imploded, all I can think is, "at least it should have been quick."

Edit: latest report from the BBC:

This report carries huge caveats.

It may be something, it may be nothing.

But the US Coast Guard has not posted many tweets over the past few days, so it may well be significant.

Speaking to experts this week, many worried that the Titan may have suffered a catastrophic implosion as a result of a hull failure.

Such a scenario could explain the debris. But, again, this report may turn out to be nothing.

The seafloor around the Titanic wreck is littered with all sorts of debris, not least from the great ship itself.

• Like 3

On 20/06/2023 at 20:41, DocM said:

Oops...

I think it's pretty morbid and insensitive for you to post this...  This isn't a movie; these are real human lives lost, dude...  

On 22/06/2023 at 14:02, The Rev said:

I think it's pretty morbid and insensitive for you to post this...  This isn't a movie; these are real human lives lost, dude...  

It's an example of what could happen with such a failure, which some people may have trouble visualizing. Titanic & The Abyss director & explorer James Cameron is one of the few who would portray such a failure near accurately, having been part of many submersible missions including 33 to Titanic itself. 

On 22/06/2023 at 19:02, The Rev said:

I disagree. By your train of thought Saving Private Ryan should not have been put to film. Or has enough time passed for that to be OK?

Submarines have implosions. Hollywood has allowed us to experience what that might be like without being physically present. There are films based on true events that make me think, "good god...I'm glad I wasn't there."

But there is nothing wrong with posting a reenactment of what has possibly happened.

Also, why do you target the clip of an old film that shows the harrowing outcome of a situation, but not the memes/jokes made after? Those are specific to the situation...

On 22/06/2023 at 15:06, primortal said:

My heart goes out to their families :(

Well I hope it was quick for them, 

Listening to a podcast earlier, this industry will rebound, and likely won't go away. Folks are addicted to this kind of exploration. I just hope we see some sort of regulation