Titanic tourist sub goes missing

On 22/06/2023 at 15:09, ATLien_0 said:

I just hope we see some sort of regulation 

You'd think there would be some sort of a emergency 'beacon' or ballasts to propel the sub to the top would be defacto.  But being they operated in international waters from what I heard regulations don't apply.

They used a game controller as way to steer the sub 👀

On 22/06/2023 at 20:13, primortal said:

You'd think there would be some sort of a emergency 'beacon' or ballasts to propel the sub to the top would be defacto.  But being they operated in international waters from what I heard regulations don't apply.

They used a game controller as way to steer the sub 👀

That's a bit disingenuous. The military use game controllers.

And apparently there were emergency measures in place - dissolving bricks that would bring the sub to the surface - if the crew or equipment were no longer operating.

But an implosion is something you can't really resolve...

• Like 2

First the engineers he terminated for telling him that it was unsafe and for other various reasons were right on the money.  It was unsafe, the structure of the sub was not able to handle the pressure at the depths it was to reach.  Secondly if you are offended by the meme I posted above use it as a time of reflection as this accident was caused by greed, stupidity, and a blind sense of adventure. 

• Like 3

On 22/06/2023 at 15:18, Nick H. said:

That's a bit disingenuous. The military use game controllers.

And apparently there were emergency measures in place - dissolving bricks that would bring the sub to the surface - if the crew or equipment were no longer operating.

The military does but something that's really important like steering a sub/ship?

Oceangate used a Logitech F710 wireless controller, https://www.theverge.com/2023/6/20/23766998/oceangate-titanic-submersible-tour-logitech-f710

Looks like the bricks didn't work :(

Then this little tidbit,

Granted I'm playing arm-chair engineer here but I think they could have done better with handling "what happens in an emergy".

On 22/06/2023 at 14:39, Nick H. said:

I disagree. By your train of thought Saving Private Ryan should not have been put to film. Or has enough time passed for that to be OK?

Submarines have implosions. Hollywood has allowed us to experience what that might be like without being physically present. There are films based on true events that make me think, "good god...I'm glad I wasn't there."

But there is nothing wrong with posting a reenactment of what has possibly happened.

Also, why do you target the clip of an old film that shows the harrowing outcome of a situation, but not the memes/jokes made after? Those are specific to the situation...

Umm...  I think it's all pretty messed up... This just happened to be the first one I noticed that was particularly offensive....

On 22/06/2023 at 14:09, ATLien_0 said:

Well I hope it was quick for them, 

Listening to a podcast earlier, this industry will rebound, and likely won't go away. Folks are addicted to this kind of exploration. I just hope we see some sort of regulation 

It would have been insta-death.  They might not have even realized something was wrong before lights out (possibly heard a noise and then...).  Regardless, they did not feel any pain.

On 22/06/2023 at 14:26, primortal said:

The military does but something that's really important like steering a sub/ship?

Oceangate used a Logitech F710 wireless controller, https://www.theverge.com/2023/6/20/23766998/oceangate-titanic-submersible-tour-logitech-f710

Looks like the bricks didn't work :(

Then this little tidbit,

Granted I'm playing arm-chair engineer here but I think they could have done better with handling "what happens in an emergy".

Not really sure the controller matters, when your just making slight/gentle adjustments in that 3d environment.  In other words...if it works it works.  Obviously, the pressure hull and/or glass are an entirely different story...

On 22/06/2023 at 21:50, Jim K said:

Not really sure the controller matters, when your just making slight/gentle adjustments in that 3d environment.  In other words...if it works it works.  Obviously, the pressure hull and/or glass are an entirely different story...

You wouldn't feel this way if you owned a Logitech Hub, like me 😛  It was wireless, probably only for the effect to look cool... so much can go wrong with a low quality wireless controller.

"We did this extremely fast"

Unless you like the thrill, I don't see the point of going all the way down there only to look at the Titanic through a video monitor. I mean, I'd just fire up my projector and watch the vide recordings of the wreckage on a 140-inch screen chair from the comfort of my recliner.

• Like 1

"These men were true explorers"

They were not explorers, they were sightseers. The Titanic has already been fully explored and it should really be left alone. It's a grave site and memorial, not a theme park attraction.

I work from home mostly and i have kept BBC or Sky News on the background since sunday. I thought this is just horrible and all the time hoped they have surfaced and might be found.

However today i was in kind of a shock when I noticed what I haven’t seen on the news. In Greece 600 people were on board a ship with 100 children when it capsized. Most of them died.

They were idiots to pay 250k to get joyride into Titanic with that sub and no one should cry for them IMO.

Edited by Joni_78

On 22/06/2023 at 14:18, Nick H. said:

Especially not at 6000psi (not sure of the actual number but it's up there)

On 22/06/2023 at 16:42, Joni_78 said:

They were idiots to pay 250k to get into that sub and no one should cry for them IMO.

I do because they and people like them; rich, poor, and most of all the ancestors from who we are descended, harbor within an itch we cannott scratch - best expressed by Herman Melville in Moby Dick,

"I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote. I love to sail forbidden seas..."

When I was a kid we marveled over the adventures of explorer Thor Heyerdahl aboard the Kon-Tiki, and the astronauts and cosmonauts.  Carl Sagan also spoke about this itch when he talked about wanderers...

Edited by DocM

On 23/06/2023 at 00:07, DocM said:

I do because they and people like them; rich poor, and most of all the ancestors from who we are descended, harbor within an itch we cannott scratch - best expressed by Herman Melville in Moby Dick,

"I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote. I love to sail forbidden seas..."

When I was a kid we marveled over the adventures of explorer Thor Heyerdahl aboard the Kon-Tiki, and the astronauts and cosmonauts.  Carl Sagan also spoke about this itch when he talked about wanderers...

Are you Elon?

Seriously I get what you say about the itch but when we do it and die pushing the limits it should not be a worldwide tradegy or tradegy at all. That’s what we wanted to do.

I would like to say though about my comment of ”idiots” I feel bad for Paul-Henri Nargeolet. I don’t understand why he went into that sub.

• Like 2

On 22/06/2023 at 21:36, Rigby said:

"These men were true explorers"

They were not explorers, they were sightseers. The Titanic has already been fully explored and it should really be left alone. It's a grave site and memorial, not a theme park attraction.

I agree that "explorers" is perhaps the wrong word to use. They were tourists on an excursion.

On 22/06/2023 at 21:42, Joni_78 said:

I work from home mostly and i have kept BBC or Sky News on the background since sunday. I thought this is just horrible and all the time hoped they have surfaced and might be found.

However today i was in kind of a shock when I noticed what I haven’t seen on the news. In Greece 600 people were on board a ship with 100 children when it capsized. Most of them died.

They were idiots to pay 250k to get joyride into Titanic with that sub and no one should cry for them IMO.

I'm not sure that we should say that we shouldn't cry for them.

There is a fixation on their wealth, and I understand that. A big argument that I've seen is why they spent all that money on a "holiday" when most of us could think of plenty of other things to spend the money on. Paying off debts, giving to charity...and with the financial situation at the moment it is easy to focus on the fact that each person paid $250,000 to be where they were.

To bring it back to the Titanic, do we turn around and think of the people onboard as fools or idiots? I don't think that we do. And yet the higher class passengers weren't onboard to make a new life or change things up for themselves and others. They were there to be part of the latest thing, a top-of-the-line carrier connecting one continent to another in luxury...and "safety."

I don't hold their wealth against them in this regard. Their eagerness and naivety caused their demise, but their loss of life is still something to mourn.

On 23/06/2023 at 00:19, Joni_78 said:

Are you Elon?

Seriously I get what you say about the itch but when we do it and die pushing the limits it should not be a worldwide tradegy or tradegy at all. That’s what we wanted to do.

I would like to say though about my comment of ”idiots” I feel bad for Paul-Henri Nargeolet. I don’t understand why he went into that sub.

And also that 19 yo kid. At that age you don’t really understand what you are doing.

On 22/06/2023 at 14:02, The Rev said:

I think it's pretty morbid and insensitive for you to post this...  This isn't a movie; these were real human lives lost, dude...  

FTFY

It's not morbid or insensitive at all.

Risk and neglect are two different things. They took a risk, but at the same time neglected their own safety by not having a working communications link, and going down in a glorified Pringles can.

They ######ed around and found out.

received_595782362703642.png

On 23/06/2023 at 00:34, Nick H. said:

I agree that "explorers" is perhaps the wrong word to use. They were tourists on an excursion.

I'm not sure that we should say that we shouldn't cry for them.

There is a fixation on their wealth, and I understand that. A big argument that I've seen is why they spent all that money on a "holiday" when most of us could think of plenty of other things to spend the money on. Paying off debts, giving to charity...and with the financial situation at the moment it is easy to focus on the fact that each person paid $250,000 to be where they were.

To bring it back to the Titanic, do we turn around and think of the people onboard as fools or idiots? I don't think that we do. And yet the higher class passengers weren't onboard to make a new life or change things up for themselves and others. They were there to be part of the latest thing, a top-of-the-line carrier connecting one continent to another in luxury...and "safety."

I don't hold their wealth against them in this regard. Their eagerness and naivety caused their demise, but their loss of life is still something to mourn.

That’s true but what I tried to say is that there weren’t 500 adults and 100 childen on that sub.

If all of them would have been  billionaires in that migrant boat then most of us would not have known that there is a sub missing with 5 persons on board.  

I do think this whole thing is just horrible, especially for the families but somehow this media attention makes me sick. I do understand though why #billioinaires #dive #titanic #lostcommunication

Edited by Joni_78

On 22/06/2023 at 17:19, Joni_78 said:

Are you Elon?

I had that itch before Musk was born.  Thanks to dad and my uncles I knew my way around the woods and water at a very young age. 

Mostly agree. You prepare as best you can then take the risks. What happens, happens.  As for the worldwide response, thank the mass media. If it weren't for them we wouldn't know who these people were. That knowledge creates empathy, another human tendency.

I don't either. He was by far the most experienced person in Titan and should have known better. 

• Like 2

I did hope for the best for all these days, but i guess  this was the best way to go instead of drifting somewhere with low oxygen and no one will find you. Nargeolet said many times that if he would die down there this is the way he would like to go because it’s like 2 nanoseconds and no one woulnd’t even know that something happened.

• Like 2

FWIW

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/story/2023-06-22/titanic-james-cameron-titan-submersible-deaths-oceangate-submarine

James Cameron says Titan submersible passengers likely had warning just before implosion

“Titanic” director James Cameron said during an ABC News interview that one of his longtime friends was among the passengers on the tourist submersible Titan and that sensors likely warned of the disaster just before it occurred. All five aboard were killed in a “catastrophic implosion, officials said.

>

“This OceanGate sub had sensors on the inside of a hull to give them a warning when it was starting to crack,” he told ABC News. “And I think if that’s your idea of safety, then you’re doing it wrong. They probably had warning that their hull was starting to delaminate, starting to crack. ... [W]e understand from inside the community that they had dropped their ascent weights and they were coming up, trying to manage an emergency.”

The director of the 1997 blockbuster “Titanic” is a longtime member of the diving community, has experience designing submarines able to withstand the depths that the Titan could not and has ventured down to the wreck of the Titanic 33 times himself.

>

On 22/06/2023 at 22:35, Joni_78 said:

And also that 19 yo kid. At that age you don’t really understand what you are doing.

Really?  When I was 19, I'm pretty sure I knew exactly what I was doing, especially when I did anything remotely risky...

• Like 2

On 23/06/2023 at 00:11, FloatingFatMan said:

Really?  When I was 19, I'm pretty sure I knew exactly what I was doing, especially when I did anything remotely risky...

Considering the human brain is not physically mature until around age 25...  I can assure you, you weren't operating in peak mental condition...  Juuuust sayin. 😉  

• Like 2