Titanic tourist sub goes missing

On 23/06/2023 at 05:46, The Rev said:

Considering the human brain is not physically mature until around age 25...  I can assure you, you weren't operating in peak mental condition...  Juuuust sayin. 😉  

I'm one of the serious, thoughtful ones.  You know, the type that sat quietly in class, did his studying, didn't get into trouble, and ended up doing far better in life than my classmates ever did.   I've been operating at peak mental condition since I was like, 5.   Juuuuuust sayin. ;) 

• Haha 2

On 22/06/2023 at 21:50, xrobwx71 said:

Especially not at 6000psi (not sure of the actual number but it's up there)

Good guess. Approximately 5,400-5,500 PSI. 10 meters of water above you is 1 bar. The depth is about 3,700-3,800m down. Convert 370-380 bar to PSI and you're not far off.

On 23/06/2023 at 04:39, Nick H. said:

I disagree. By your train of thought Saving Private Ryan should not have been put to film. Or has enough time passed for that to be OK?

Submarines have implosions. Hollywood has allowed us to experience what that might be like without being physically present. There are films based on true events that make me think, "good god...I'm glad I wasn't there."

But there is nothing wrong with posting a reenactment of what has possibly happened.

Also, why do you target the clip of an old film that shows the harrowing outcome of a situation, but not the memes/jokes made after? Those are specific to the situation...

Everyone on that vessel is a candidate for the Darwin Award.

Those people are mega rich. Surely they had the resources to perform due diligence on the safety of the vessel.

I may be attacked for this but I'm struggling to give a f**k. 

Edit: I do however feel for the loved ones of these people. just to be clear.

On 23/06/2023 at 08:49, foolsfolly said:

Everyone on that vessel is a candidate for the Darwin Award.

Those people are mega rich. Surely they had the resources to perform due diligence on the safety of the vessel.

Edit: I do however feel for the loved ones of these people. just to be clear.

I'm somewhat with you. They took a risk, knowing there was danger involved. I heard the waiver form they have to sign mentions death 3 times on the same page!

And who foots the bill for all the resources piled in to search for these people?

• Like 2

On 23/06/2023 at 09:39, spikey_richie said:

I'm somewhat with you. And who foots the bill for all the resources piled in to search for these people?

The same people who always foot the bill when selfish people get themselves into trouble indulging in needlessly dangerous activities for fun.

• Like 3

On 23/06/2023 at 09:56, FloatingFatMan said:

The same people who always foot the bill when selfish people get themselves into trouble indulging in needlessly dangerous activities for fun.

The tax payer :/

• Like 3

James Cameron gave an interview where he goes into detail about what he knew.

Keep in mind, he holds the record for deepest solo dive at 35,787 feet (10,907.878 meters) into the Challenger Deep. 

On 23/06/2023 at 09:49, foolsfolly said:

This does not change the fact that there are more than 48 million kangaroos in Australia and about 3,457,380 inhabitants in Uruguay. That means if the Australian kangaroos decided to invade Uruguay, every Uruguayan would have to fight about 14 kangaroos and that's a fight they just can't win. We lack perspective beyond our first world concerns. Pray for Uruguay....

Another man with a lot of money making his own mind up instead of relying on actual science fact.

It's hard to feel sorry for people who willingly went along for the ride, I know I would want to know about if it was safe or not, and if you have to sign a waiver that says the trip could cost you your life I want to point out that it isn't the same as riding a bus or being in a traffic accident,. because those are accidents. A sub being used for a purpose it wasn't designed for isn't an accident, it's nothing short of stupid.

It's like the story about the lawyer guy who would scare new interns by running into a 24th storey window to prove how safe it was, YES it was safe for the first few times you did it, but it wasn't designed to be crashed into multiple times, and as a result the window still did not break, but the rubber seal gave way. Just another Darwin award candidate.

General Macarthur did not break rules at 2.5 miles/4 km below sea level. 

On 23/06/2023 at 04:56, FloatingFatMan said:

At this point the US taxpayer... because apparently the US NAVY knew it imploded right around the time it did, they heard it on their sensors and knew it was consistent with an implosion and let this massive search go on without saying it until after the wreckage was found... so they dragged their feet telling people what they knew

On 23/06/2023 at 13:00, Steven P. said:

Another man with a lot of money making his own mind up instead of relying on actual science fact.

It's hard to feel sorry for people who willingly went along for the ride, I know I would want to know about if it was safe or not, and if you have to sign a waiver that says the trip could cost you your life I want to point out that it isn't the same as riding a bus or being in a traffic accident,. because those are accidents. A sub being used for a purpose it wasn't designed for isn't an accident, it's nothing short of stupid.

It's like the story about the lawyer guy who would scare new interns by running into a 24th storey window to prove how safe it was, YES it was safe for the first few times you did it, but it wasn't designed to be crashed into multiple times, and as a result the window still did not break, but the rubber seal gave way. Just another Darwin award candidate.

there's a reason they dont use carbon fiber in subs... but hey he broke the rule lol

• Like 2

On 23/06/2023 at 20:16, neufuse said:

At this point the US taxpayer... because apparently the US NAVY knew it imploded right around the time it did, they heard it on their sensors and knew it was consistent with an implosion and let this massive search go on without saying it until after the wreckage was found... so they dragged their feet telling people what they knew

They did pass the information on...

image.png.71c86174b562c86fce9743be79d354b4.png

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-us-canada-65967464

On 23/06/2023 at 15:22, FloatingFatMan said:

They did pass the information on...

image.png.71c86174b562c86fce9743be79d354b4.png

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-us-canada-65967464

odd US media this morning was saying they "failed to pass it on until days later" but then the US media always does such a bang up job of reporting facts right............

Edited by neufuse

On 23/06/2023 at 20:35, neufuse said:

odd US media this morning was saying they "failed to pass it on until days later"

"US media"... says it all really... :rofl: 

• Like 3

On 23/06/2023 at 15:16, neufuse said:

>

It could be because they had to go up through the chain of command, including the White House, before releasing the information and the language to be used. Very often they're hesitant to release information which could potentially inform adversaries of "sources and methods."

On 23/06/2023 at 21:35, neufuse said:

odd US media this morning was saying they "failed to pass it on until days later" but then the US media always does such a bang up job of reporting facts right............

On 23/06/2023 at 21:40, FloatingFatMan said:

"US media"... says it all really... :rofl: 

Trump and some far right "republicans" would be really proud of how you perceive the media right now.

In all likelihood the U.S. Navy passed on the data, but the search and rescue commander decided that it wasn't definitive enough to call it at that point, which is also exactly how the Navy described it. I am not a submariner myself, but I do know that sounds travel for hundreds of miles and are almost impossible to locate accurately. It's how whales can communicate over hundreds of miles.

It's anything but "fake news" guys, but like I said.. I am sure some far right republicans would be real proud of a job they've done this past 8 years to make some people immediately call the US media fake news the moment the facts are not cast iron clear.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 23/06/2023 at 23:11, Steven P. said:

Trump and some far right "republicans" would be really proud of how you perceive the media right now.

In all likelihood the U.S. Navy passed on the data, but the search and rescue commander decided that it wasn't definitive enough to call it at that point, which is also exactly how the Navy described it. I am not a submariner myself, but I do know that sounds travel for hundreds of miles and are almost impossible to locate accurately. It's how whales can communicate over hundreds of miles.

It's anything but "fake news" guys, but like I said.. I am sure some far right republicans would be real proud of a job they've done this past 8 years to make some people immediately call the US media fake news the moment the facts are not cast iron clear.

I uh, didn't call the US media "fake news", and my low opinion if them is not a recent thing.  I've never had much of a high opinion over US news media, because it's never been about news for them. They never check their facts before running with a story and rarely post retractions later when it's revealed they got something wrong again because they have no oversight. It's always been a ratings game for them.  I prefer networks where ratings aren't such a big thing. 

Places like Al Jazeera, Reuters, and to a lesser extent these days, the BBC, are my main go-to's for actual news.

Also, bear in mind that I'm not American and don't actively look on US news sites, so I the only real place I see US media news stories is on here...

• Like 3

On 23/06/2023 at 18:33, FloatingFatMan said:

I uh, didn't call the US media "fake news", and my low opinion if them is not a recent thing.  I've never had much of a high opinion over US news media, because it's never been about news for them. They never check their facts before running with a story and rarely post retractions later when it's revealed they got something wrong again because they have no oversight. It's always been a ratings game for them.  I prefer networks where ratings aren't such a big thing. 

Spot on

Places like Al Jazeera, Reuters, and to a lesser extent these days, the BBC, are my main go-to's for actual news.

Pretty much. My list is longer but diverse.

Also, bear in mind that I'm not American and don't actively look on US news sites, so I the only real place I see US media news stories is on here...

You're doing pretty well. The US news media has two things going against it 1) biased and 2) corporate ties between the media and other businesses and government. The latter is the most troubling.

A perfect example in Detroit is the close connection between the Detroit News, Detroit Free Press, and the auto companies. Extremely incestuous to the point where you have to parse every story in that light. 

In DC the problem is ties to entrenched unelected fifedoms in government and the agencies.  Anyone, in either party, that rocks the boat gets the bull's horns.

• Like 2

On 23/06/2023 at 18:11, Steven P. said:

well Fox news did say this also so... 🤣

On 23/06/2023 at 19:18, DocM said:

Even a broken clock is correct twice a day.

not always, broken doesn't always mean fixed time... what if the hands are jumping back and forth? then it could technically never be correct 😆

On 24/06/2023 at 12:52, neufuse said:

not always, broken doesn't always mean fixed time... what if the hands are jumping back and forth? then it could technically never be correct 😆

Now you're delving into economic policy 🤣

On 23/06/2023 at 17:11, Steven P. said:

Indeed.

It's near impossible to have an intelligent discussion with those so easily duped. People so proud to say they stand on their own, but scream in horror when some billionaire cries that the sky is falling. Billionaires have NOTHING to do in life. Not a got damn thing. So.. fill the time with pissing people off, controlling them, gaslighting and just straight up playing on you fears until you don't know whose brain you're thinking with. "Fake News" wasn't even a coined term until a world class loser of a, and yes an actual "fake" billionaire.. convinced so many people that everyone else was out to get them.

Now we have one convincing enough people to let him plop on down to an infamous graveyard .. taking the lives of others because his ego got the best of him. And it's costing the families dearly. But yeah.. it's all about the US media. 

triple facepalm.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 24/06/2023 at 02:44, Steven P. said:

This does not change the fact that there are more than 48 million kangaroos in Australia and about 3,457,380 inhabitants in Uruguay. That means if the Australian kangaroos decided to invade Uruguay, every Uruguayan would have to fight about 14 kangaroos and that's a fight they just can't win. We lack perspective beyond our first world concerns. Pray for Uruguay....

I've had a joint now too Steven and I have but one question.

How did the Australian kangaroo's get to Uruguay?