The Morrowind Support Thread

I got this problem in Morrowind (with Tribunal & Bloodmoon installed) that the game can suddently quit when im in the forest hunting. I always got to save every 10th second and its very annoying. Anyone know what the problem can be?

That sounds like the sort of problem someone was posting about in here a little while ago.

Morrowind is an excellent game, though it can be very unstable at times. I often experience crashes when Im loading/saving games.

All that one can really reccomend is the advice given before; check that the game is fully patched up to date, and try lowering graphic settings. Again, failing that, perhaps a reinstall...

What does the error say?

The sign plugin does work, but it gives me an annoying error on start. This is what it says in my warnings.txt:

One of the files that "RealSignposts.esp" is dependent on has changed since the last save.

This may result in errors. Saving again will clear this message

but not necessarily fix any errors.

One or more plugins could not find the correct versions of the master files they depend on. Errors may occur during load or game play. Check the "Warnings.txt" file for more information.

Texture "Textures\Tx_WG_dirtroad_01.tga" count 3.

Texture "Textures\_land_default.tga" count 3.

Texture "Textures\menu_thick_border_bottom_right_corner.dds" count 2.

And in other news I found this naked NPC north of Caldera and he said some witch stole his clothes and I had to help him. Now the terrible part is, I lost this naked guy somewhere in the wilderness and I have no idea where he is. So now there is a naked guy wandering around Gnarr Mok swamps somewhere here I saw him last. I searched for half an hour, but I do not think I am ever going to find him again. :rolleyes:

The sign plugin does work, but it gives me an annoying error on start. This is what it says in my warnings.txt:

Ok. It just means that the plugin was designed for a previous version of morrowind but will still function fine.

Add this line to your morrowind.ini file under general.

AllowYesToAll=1

This will allow you to skip through any error messages quickly.

Does anyone know the general location of the Firemoth Island fortress? I just need the direction in relation to a nearby town. For example just NE of Seyda Neen because I cannot find it anywhere located on the map.

Wow, look at all the replies... "Track this topic" doesn't seen to be working for me >_<

I have a couple suggestions...

One of them is to patch, not sure if the triple pack includes the latest bloodmoon pack, but check the version and then see if you need a patch.

Last I checked, there were no patches for the trilogy install... But I'll check again to make sure.
The only other thing I can suggest (and you probably want to wait for others to post their suggestions) but is to uninstall and reinstall Morrowind. I've had a few really strange problems with Morrowind in my time which could only be fixed by uninstall and reinstall. It's a last resort, really.

Done, didn't help.

Oh, one more thing! If you have applied any mods, you might want to disable those and see what happens.
No mods running whatsoever... I haven't even begun to the play the game, I wanted to get a feel for it before modding it and I haven't even been able to do that.
You may also want to lower some of your settings under video. If they are set too high the game is more prone to failing.

I'll do that... I just had them at the default settings while experiencing this problem.

Thanks for all the help... now I gotta get the game disc back from my friend... :3

Last I checked, there were no patches for the trilogy install... But I'll check again to make sure.

If you bought the Morrowind GOTY (which includes Morrowind and it's two expansions), there is no patch. If you bought Morrowind and then Bloodmoon individually (Tribunal's presence is irrelevant), then you need to patch to v1.6.1820.

Wow, look at all the replies... "Track this topic" doesn't seen to be working for me >_<

Done, didn't help.

No mods running whatsoever... I haven't even begun to the play the game, I wanted to get a feel for it before modding it and I haven't even been able to do that.

I'll do that... I just had them at the default settings while experiencing this problem.

Thanks for all the help... now I gotta get the game disc back from my friend... :3

Yeesh, that's horrible. There may be a corruption in the save game file. Did you start a new game when you reinstalled? That's the only thing I can think of! Poor guy, Morrowind is a great game, it's too bad you've started off with such problems. I hope it gets better for you! :yes:

Does anyone know the general location of the Firemoth Island fortress?  I just need the direction in relation to a nearby town.  For example just NE of Seyda Neen because I cannot find it anywhere located on the map.

You need to speak with Sellus Gravius in Seyda Neen to travel to the Firemoth Island fortress. Sellus is the man whom you gave your papers to when you were first starting out. He can be found in the censis and excise offices.

Once you accept the quest to travel there, you will find a boat docked outside waiting to take you.

Keldyn, you should really post a day-by-day blog type thing of your character. I thought of doing it so many times but I never committed. It seems like something that'd make the roleplaying aspect of the game even more enjoyable.

I think I'll try it with a brand new Khajiit Roof-Hopping Battle-Mage. Mwahaha.

AeronPrometheus: Question. At what point does it crash? When you launch the game or when you go to start a new game?

The reason why I ask that is it might be the copy protection that's preventing you from playing. Copy protection and some rare/old CD-ROM's and/or proprietary-ish type drives don't get along very well. Sometimes these technological relationship problem manifests itself as the software reporting the CD not being in the drive when it is, and other times, and possibly in your case, it crashes the program. I know I've heard a lot of people go through similar/same issues with copy protection.

There's two ways you can test this theory. You can:

a) Download Alcohol 120% or Daemon Tools, make an image of the software and try launching Morrowind via. the image (preferably with another CDROM/DVDROM than the one on your laptop, then copying the image onto your laptop via network).

OR

b) You can download a no-cd crack which disables the copy protection on the executable entirely. -- the better option IMO --

Just very quickly, I know the walls have ears here so if a mod is reading this, I am in no way advocating the circumvention of copy protected material.

By the way Aeron, check your PM's.

Alright, I am in a real bind right now. I am at the Skeleton Mage or Lich King whoever he is, but every time I hit him no life comes off. How do I beat him?!

Whoops forgot to mention that I am in the tomb at Firemoth Fortress trying to fight him. :D There are scrolls on the side, but they are useless and his life refills way to fast every time I hit him.

Keldyn, you should really post a day-by-day blog type thing of your character. I thought of doing it so many times but I never committed. It seems like something that'd make the roleplaying aspect of the game even more enjoyable.

I think I'll try it with a brand new Khajiit Roof-Hopping Battle-Mage. Mwahaha.

Yes. I did consider doing that, but then I wondered just who would actually be interested in reading it. lol

My present character is a little too developed now, so perhaps when I start over i will give it a shot.

Yes. I did consider doing that, but then I wondered just who would actually be interested in reading it. lol

My present character is a little too developed now, so perhaps when I start over i will give it a shot.

I'd be interested! :D

Oh, and I love your signature and avatar, Keldyn. :happy:

Yea you should start over and write about your day to day life as a Bard. Then you can write about all the awesome songs and poems you come up with as you wander around. :D

Edited by jmole

If you bought the Morrowind GOTY (which includes Morrowind and it's two expansions), there is no patch. If you bought Morrowind and then Bloodmoon individually (Tribunal's presence is irrelevant), then you need to patch to v1.6.1820.
I bought the GOTY pack and installed EVERYTHING in order.
Yeesh, that's horrible. There may be a corruption in the save game file. Did you start a new game when you reinstalled? That's the only thing I can think of! Poor guy, Morrowind is a great game, it's too bad you've started off with such problems. I hope it gets better for you!

I am very anal about installations, so anal that aliens could use me as a human probe :). If I uninstall things I leave no trace of it on my computer. I uninstalled and reinstalled the thing so many times my head hurts. Each time starting up a new game. Each time getting crashes when entering a town or a large room.

AeronPrometheus: Question. At what point does it crash? When you launch the game or when you go to start a new game?
Look up. :p
The reason why I ask that is it might be the copy protection that's preventing you from playing. Copy protection and some rare/old CD-ROM's and/or proprietary-ish type drives don't get along very well. Sometimes these technological relationship problem manifests itself as the software reporting the CD not being in the drive when it is, and other times, and possibly in your case, it crashes the program. I know I've heard a lot of people go through similar/same issues with copy protection.

This is a fairly new drive SONY VAIO PCG-FR130 that uses a CRX810E DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo drive. But I think I'll try a noCD patch to see if that doesn't help.

Also in case you were wondering my display and audio drivers are all up to date. Windows XP itself is very up to date too.

Please do, I'd be interested. Got the GOTY edition for XBOX so it might be a little easier to play it more, as I won't be hunched over a laptop 10/7 :p

Okay... Thank You BananaMan, BananaMan's Girl, and Keldyn very, very much.

Thanks to your help (And that noCD trick) Morrowind finally runs without crashing on my computer, yay! I visited Balmora for the first time last night @_@.

Mods run fine, saving and loading is fine, everything works :)

Keldyn, you mentioned a list of mods a few pages back and found most of what you had. I am still looking for The Lighting Mod, Real Sign Posts, and the Morrowind List Merger (So far the mods I'm using aren't clashing so it's not critical). If you could help me locate those I'd be much obliged.