Neowin's NHL 2004 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread

Tampa had their parade and Calgary had their rally. 30 000 people were at the Calgary rally and 20 000 people were at Tampa's stanley cup parade and 13 000 people were at the forum which equals to 33 000 people. Tampa had only 3000 more people at their Stanley cup celebration than Calgary's cupless rally. One more reason why hockey shouldn't be in Tampa. NOBODY in Tampa CARES!!

Yah this seasons over I think its time this thread be unpinned and let it fall into the valley's of neowin.

:happy:

Great Season & Playoffs everyone.. see ya in October (if there is an october :/)

The disputed goal/non-goal in Game 6 would have been a really controversial ending to the season, which nobody wants to see like the controversial ending of the season back when the Wings won the Cup over the Sabres and Hull was standing in the crease with his foot in Hasek's face.

It was good that the refs called it a no-goal and made an actual sure as sh-it goal go in.

Tampa had their parade and Calgary had their rally. 30 000 people were at the Calgary rally and 20 000 people were at Tampa's stanley cup parade and 13 000 people were at the forum which equals to 33 000 people. Tampa had only 3000 more people at their Stanley cup celebration than Calgary's cupless rally. One more reason why hockey shouldn't be in Tampa. NOBODY in Tampa CARES!!

shut the hell up

The disputed goal/non-goal in Game 6 would have been a really controversial ending to the season, which nobody wants to see like the controversial ending of the season back when the Wings won the Cup over the Sabres and Hull was standing in the crease with his foot in Hasek's face.

It was good that the refs called it a no-goal and made an actual sure as sh-it goal go in.

i thought that was Dallas/Buffalo and if i recal, the foot was like a few inches in the crease but no where near the goalie... back then they had that stupid rule where if anyone from the scoring team had to be clear of the crease and couldnt even be 1 inch in the crease otherwise it was no goal.. stupidest rule EVER

how about the fact that their hockey team is relatively new... that theyre in the SOUTH where hockey is 4th behind football, baseball and basketball and the fact that they have 2 other major league teams that have a greater following since hockey ain't that big. I say 33,000 ppl is f---ing great for a hockey team in the tropics, Hell, i saw the parade and i saw a few people in tears (happy tears :)). What more could you ask for?

how about the fact that their hockey team is relatively new... that theyre in the SOUTH where hockey is 4th behind football, baseball and basketball and the fact that they have 2 other major league teams that have a greater following since hockey ain't that big. I say 33,000 ppl is f---ing great for a hockey team in the tropics, Hell, i saw the parade and i saw a few people in tears (happy tears :)). What more could you ask for?

It's because Hockey is the 4th sport in Tampa that it doesn't deserve to be there. Do you know why there's 24 American teams in the NHL? Because the NHL believes that the only way to expand the game was to move south. Let me tell you something, apparently it's not working, Pittsburg is screwed, so is Phoenix and many other teams. Sure there are some American teams that are doing very well, like Colorado (who didn't have to ever advertise their regular season games until this season), Detriot, and Philadelphia. The bottom line is the the NHL should really market their game to people who really care about this game, people who would work overtime just to buy a season ticket, people who will watch their team half-way across the world, people who love hockey. In Calgary's incredible playoff run, CBC HNIC had set a record for the second most watched game in its history (Around 3.3 million tv sets were tuned in, that's over 10% of Canada's population. Not including people who watched the game in pubs.), while ABC and ESPN's ratings were at a all time low. NHL, take care of your fans and the game will take care of it self. Don't try to shove the game to where it doesn't belong.

It's because Hockey is the 4th sport in Tampa that it doesn't deserve to be there. Do you know why there's 24 American teams in the NHL? Because the NHL believes that the only way to expand the game was to move south. Let me tell you something, apparently it's not working, Pittsburg is screwed, so is Phoenix and many other teams. Sure there are some American teams that are doing very well, like Colorado (who didn't have to ever advertise their regular season games until this season), Detriot, and Philadelphia. The bottom line is the the NHL should really market their game to people who really care about this game, people who would work overtime just to buy a season ticket, people who will watch their team half-way across the world, people who love hockey. In Calgary's incredible playoff run, CBC HNIC had set a record for the second most watched game in its history (Around 3.3 million tv sets were tuned in, that's over 10% of Canada's population. Not including people who watched the game in pubs.), while ABC and ESPN's ratings were at a all time low. NHL, take care of your fans and the game will take care of it self. Don't try to shove the game to where it doesn't belong.

so whats your point? Hockey is also #4 in Denver, New York, Detroit, Boston etc.. do those cities not deserve hockey? hell,3 of them are the Original Six teams. Canadian teams are in trouble too, ottawa filed for bankruptcy last year, wasnt calgary and/or edmonton threatening to relocate? what about quebec city and winnipeg? Vancouver was losing a tonne of money a few yrs ago. So dont give me that BS. The fact is that Tampa had a losing record up to a few years ago and the people still supported the team, now look what happened, they won the cup and 30,000+ fans went out to celebrate Tampa's victory and youre just bitter that it wasnt in calgary.

Edited by bayrider

They beat your team. Get the knot out of your panties!

i thought that was Dallas/Buffalo and if i recal, the foot was like a few inches in the crease but no where near the goalie... back then they had that stupid rule where if anyone from the scoring team had to be clear of the crease and couldnt even be 1 inch in the crease otherwise it was no goal.. stupidest rule EVER

yeah, it was when hull played for dallas.

yeah, it was a stupid rule.

BUT, EVERY SINGLE GOAL that playoffs where any part of any offensive players skate was in the goal crease was disallowed. they got every single one right. up until the last one, where they couldn't review. that series was never officially decided, and that was the worst thing i've ever seen happen in the nhl in my 13 or so years of watching...

TORONTO -- A new World Hockey Association is set to start playing in October with at least six teams.

Commissioner Bobby Hull, the star player of the WHA of the 1970s, and other businessmen announced Wednesday that teams in Halifax, Nova Scotia; Quebec; Detroit; Dallas; and Orlando and Jacksonville, Fla., have buildings in which to play.

Two Ontario teams, in Toronto and Hamilton, are expected to join them shortly when they secure arena leases.

"A lot of them are in a situation right now where with this announcement they can go ahead and be selling season tickets by the first of next week," Hull said at a news conference.

The NHL's future is murky as its collective bargaining agreement with the players expires Sept. 15.

WHA team owners were frank in their belief that a labor disruption in the NHL would help their league gain fans looking for alternate sources of hockey.

"I'm convinced the CBA creates enough of an uncertainty to give us an opportunity," said Mario Frankovich, one of the owners of the Hamilton franchise and also chairman of the league's board.

The first WHA began in 1971 and became a rival to the NHL as it lured Hull from the Chicago Blackhawks and brought Gordie Howe out of retirement to play for the Houston Aeros with his sons.

The two leagues made a deal in 1979, with Edmonton, Quebec, Winnipeg and Hartford getting absorbed by the NHL and the WHA folding.

A 76-game season beginning Oct. 29. is planned for this edition of the WHA.

The league will have no red line, no-touch icing, touch-up offside and 3-on-3 overtime followed by a shootout.

what do you guys think of this? i kinda like the rules...

IM not a fan of the shootouts the game shouldnt be on one player and a goalie. Its almost like deciding a game on who can skate around the rink the fastest