NV40 3DMark 2003 scores revealed

NV40 3DMark 2003 scores revealed

Nvidia set to satisfy the willy wavers

By Paul Dutton: Monday 05 April 2004, 08:12

IF PEOPLE - read the ATi fanboyz who bothered to flame us - thought we were overconfident in this article, estimating the huge performance jump Nvidia were going to make when introducing its sixteen pipeline NV40, then they're going to have to think again.

Numerous sources have confirmed that a Futuremark 3DMark 2003 score of12,535 has apparently been demonstrated by Nvidia on its pre-production engineering samples.

To put this in perspective, this story is brought to you by a tweaked AMD Athlon 64 FX system based on a Gigabyte GA-K8NNXP-940 mainboard with 1GB of Corsair XMS DDR, and is equipped with the current king of 3D gaming cards, an ATI Radeon 9800XT. This rock steady, real-world system benches a strong 7382 under 3DMark 2003 Build 340 at default settings, and indeed anything that can deliver a score over 7000 is pretty rapid.

Squatting on top of Futuremark's Top 20 'Hall of Fame'ous willy wavers is a heavily overclocked 4.5GHz P4 ? seeming to need freezing to -85?C to attain this frequency - with a well overclocked ATi Radeon 9800XT. This system, apparently, marks up a score of 10,008.

So, if what we're hearing about Nvidia's NV40 is true, then its sixth generation desktop 3D graphics accelerator is shaping up to be mighty.

Of course we can hear the critics cry "how come the last Futuremark 'Approved Drivers' to be used with Build 340 of 3DMark03 with Nvidia 3D accelerators are the ageing version ForceWare 52.16?"

That's a good question as these were released way back in October 2003, and the current Nvidia Forceware 56.72 was released just last week on April 1st., and the fourth driver release since the 52.16's which Futuremark have not approved for 3DMark03.

And we agree ? this does cast some doubts on the validity of any 3DMark03 score achieved with any later Nvidia device driver, but today's news sure is more than interesting.

In back rooms at the CeBIT Messe, we heard talk of 3DMark03 scores of "over 10,000 3DMarks" for both ATI's R420 and Nvidia's NV40 but, for various reasons, we weren't particularly confident in our source. However, in light of today's news, we'll mention that that same source said that the ATI R420 was somewhat slower, though "not by much".

Sources close to ATI have said that a score of 10,000 3DMarks for ATi R420 "would be a dream", indicating that R420 Revision: CeBIT 2K4 wasn't pulling this level of numbers.

Perhaps we should all now be expecting briefings by Nvidia's competitors that 3DMark03 isn't now a valid indicator of 3D graphics performance?

L'INQ

Willy Wavers

Source: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15169

<Watches all the Ati Fans come back to nVidia> HEY, Stick with one damn video card company you poor loser! :)

lol, i wasn't talking about the layout, i just mean the little "we have what you want..." flash on the front page. sounds like they are cooking up something to me. could be wrong

I really don't have any faith in 3DMark 03 as a benchmark anymore... show me real world performance. And one article isn't really much to go on...

And ATI's drivers are fine, and have been for quite a while now... know what you're talking about before you say things like that.

I have an ATi Radeon9800 Pro but I'm not a one eyed ATi Supporter, if nVidia brings out something better, then I will buy that. :)

The next few months with new chipsets / processors (PCI Express) and DDR2 etc... are really going to be very exciting. All I need now is a bag full of money :laugh:

Ker: "nVIDIA made the same talk with their FX card....haha " <-- Looks to me you said an oxymoron... Saying nvidia said this and nvidia didn't really say this with nv40.. PWNED.

EDIT: Don't use that kinda language towards me... Thanks. :)

saweetness apparently has a thing with nvidia. ati (or anyone else) hasn't done anything for the 420, and everybody is getting there panties in a bunch because the nv40 beats a 9800xt. get real, people... this is like comparing a 9800xt to a ti4200. can we wait for the 420 and the nv40 to actually be on the market before posting fud threads like this to say "nvidia winz, ati fanboyz r lozerz for real LOL OMG LOL!!!111!"

btw, first post.

I am saying its ironic that nVIDIA made talk like this when the FX card was going to be released and now some fanboy website is doing it for the new card. No where did I say that this article came from nVIDIA, just use some common sense.