Dell 2001FP

me? :unsure: no, i've looked very carefully, every pixel is working.

****!!! i was just writing this and i noticed a black dot in the middle of the screen, scared me, but it was only lint or something :|

Right.  Tis a fine monitor.  Now you just need two more!! :D

Working on those babies in a dual setup is absolutely amazing! I would never switch back.

dual1.jpg

dual4.jpg

:yes:

I dont know why i am looking under the table?:rofl::? btw great monitors(Y)(Y)? ahh i hope i get rich some d:/ :/? still in college right now

Well under the table there's my subwoofer, 5-port switch, and my pimped out Vintage Gaming Rig. All original mid-90's hardware that runs all DOS and Win95-based games I grew up on. I painted it glossy blue and metallic silver. It's connected to the right-hand 2001FP's analog input.

vgr.jpg

VGR Specs:

-Soyo 5BT board (430TX chipset)

-64MB PC100 SDRAM

-PentiumMMX 200MHz CPU

-STB Lightspeed128 graphics card (Tseng Labs ET6000 chipset and 2MB VRAM)

-8.4GB WD Caviar

-32x Creative CD-ROM

-Realtek 8139C network card

-Creative SoundBlaster 16 SCSI-2 CSP sound card

-3.5" and 5.25" floppy drives

-removable HDD drawer

-ATARI sticker and original IBM PC/AT logo badge (can't do without this one!)

Vintage power:laugh:au:laugh:au:laugh:augh:

Edited by altus

Cost me ?590 from eBay..

You paid for the monitor and then you did a review for Neowin....

I would be more than happy to write reviews if companies can throw free stuff my way! :DD

Nice review but brief. If the Dell monitors can go head to head against Samsung and beat them, I'll consider getting one of their monitors. The S&H fee is about $100 though. Sigh.

I thought the Dells would be el-cheapo monitors. Guess not. Thanks!

Dazla,

Just a quick question mate, I too have been so close to ordering the same monitor off 2 guys that regularly advertise on Ebay, the guy you got yours from and another guy that's based in Scotland that gets them imported.

Just wondered if you knew if either of these people can do a dead pixel test on them before they despatch them?

The worry I have is that you pay ?600 and wait for it to come from the USA and pray it doesn't have any, it's not like you can walk it back into say PC World and make up an excuse and get a refund and try to get another etc.

Do you think it's just a case of 'luck' if you get a good one or is there anyway to ensure you get a good one, especially as there coming from the US.

Cheers for your time and enjoy your new monitor:))

]EGG[

I don't think they will offer a dead pixel test, but to be honest a single dead pixel won't be majorly noticable when there's millions of them crammed into a 20" display. It's just a risk you take :/ I was lucky I didn't have a single dead pixel.

We just bought the 2001FP from Dell. Got it within a day via Airborne Express...There is 2 dead pixels it seems we've noticed so far. One shows up on the XP bootup screen in the black area, and the other you can see in a certain shade of white.

Not sure what were gonna do yet, its a excellent looking monitor, very happy with it otherwise.

We have it hooked up to a 2.ghz P4, Geforce 4 MX 400 atm..so only Analog connector. On my main comp I got a Radeon 9700, so im hoping to try it out with the DVI connector soon.

:devil:

I got a refurb E172FP from Dell and it has 2 dead pixels ... one of them is red and is near the middle ... VERY annoying.

Anyone know what Dell's dead pixel policy is? And where do I call up or e-mail to get an exchange? I bought it off DFO....

I have this display. It is a nice screen, but gets very grainy at moderate distances which I find annoying. You really have to sit far back for it to be perfect. Also, the backlighting is commonly uneven on this display (On black screen the corner appears brighter than the rest)

PS Dell will replace the monitor free of charge if you find any dead pixels, despite their stated policy of 7 dead pixels.

Got mine for $750 off dell.com

I also have the 2001FP, recently purchased, but I've noticed that there is some horizontal banding and color gradiation going on. For example, With the start menu expanded, it should look solid gray. In my case there is gray, but every other line has a slightly lighter shade. It's different with any color. It bothers me enough as a graphic artist that I can't work with the output. I know all my video settings are correct and I've tried it with multiple computers, dvi and vga. I've gone through about three of the same lcd's from dell, all with the same results. My 2000FP looks absolutely spectacular, and I was hoping to upgrade to the smaller footprint model, as the pixel response is faster, etc.

Has anyone noticed these same problems? I've seen on the dell threads that there are alot of people with the same problems...

PS Dell will replace the monitor free of charge if you find any dead pixels, despite their stated policy of 7 dead pixels.

Really? Should I e-mail support@dell.com about it?

I got two of these as well :D

twins.jpg

Both over ebay from a UK seller called ericbunny. First one was great no dead pixels, the second one I bought seems to have 3 dead pixels only two of them normally showup.

Has anyone experienced Dell UKs support offering for ebay customers?

Damn PR., that's nice! Why do you have two keyboards and mice? Two computers or something?

Yer one games machine, one web/email general shuttle and a mess about PC. :)

I tried to find a keyboard and mouse switcher or at least a keyboard switched but couldn't find anything. :(

We have TONS of those where I work. Actually pretty cool having control of 8 comps on one keyboard/mouse/monitor. :D

We have 8 port, 4 port, and 2 port boxes.. all from Belkin. They are really simple to use and setup, and I find myself hitting "Scroll Lock - Scroll Lock - Up Arrow" all the time at home now. (Key combo to switch computers)

Here is what you -could- get. A bit pricey imo, not to mention you'll have to pickup 2 sets of cords.