The End Of the Oil Age?

Hah.. er, yes, we will run out of it. Its gotta come from somewhere, and judging by the billions of years of plantery evolution that its taken to create all the oil we are so rapidly consuming, it HAS to run out eventually!

Or are you taking the point of view, it won't run out in our lifetime, so its not our problem?!

Surely you jest. Bush is the man for the job? What, is he going to magically pull a few billion barrels of oil out of his ass or something?

Theres nothing any of us can do.. what really needs to happen is for fuel & motor companies to start HEAVILY investing in alternative technologies and actually making them affordable & mass producable.

I'd say being able to run diesel cars on vegetable oil with some kind of spirit in there is a pretty good starting block? Surely we could mass produce the vegetables needed to develop that oil...

The problem with solutions like this is that it takes a lot of energy to produce the vegetables and the oil. Every step of the way in producing anything, relies on oil. Oil fuels a lot more than our cars and trucks.

Yes it's a good starting block, but we need to start now. It will take a lot of work to build an society and infrastructure that uses alternative energy sources. In order to build that we need to rely on the infrastructure that's in place now. This infrastructure depends heavily on oil ebery step of the way. This infrastructure will soon start crumbling.

It's a big catch 22 and I just don't see us solving it.

Hurray! Now people is about to realize that oil isn't like the water comming out of the tap in the kitchen... the water will never cease to exist, but the oil will sooner or later.

This small factoid was in todays Daily Mirror (UK rag) ... The world's oil reserves could be exhausted by 2040 ...

Ya the same thing was in the Toronto Star (biggest daily newspaper in toronto) business section a month or so ago, too bad it was a pretty small article and on the 3rd or 4th page

Hah.. er, yes, we will run out of it. Its gotta come from somewhere, and judging by the billions of years of plantery evolution that its taken to create all the oil we are so rapidly consuming, it HAS to run out eventually!

Or are you taking the point of view, it won't run out in our lifetime, so its not our problem?!

lol - oil didn't take billions of years to create. Either God created it when he created the earth, or since that time - only a few thousand years ago.

God will take care of us - and if inded it is to run us out of oil, so be it. I am not going to spend my life worrying about it, though.

Me either. So what if we run out? We'll buy electric or hydrogen cars.

God shall not forsake his people. That's us, in case you didn't know.

Yeah exactly what everyone else said, I dont plan on trying to finish uni,school, whatever as soon as possible and stockpiling stuff.

lol - oil didn't take billions of years to create. Either God created it when he created the earth, or since that time - only a few thousand years ago.

God will take care of us - and if inded it is to run us out of oil, so be it. I am not going to spend my life worrying about it, though.

I'm sorry Boog, but I just had a huge laugh at that one.

All of you religious peeps, in 30 or 40 years when oil IS gone, I wonder what you'll be doing then. As civilization collapes on itself and the world we know ends. (And if you don't think it will end, just think about everything you do every single day and how it revolves around oil)

Unless the governments of this planet and all those big oil companies/car companies/ etc etc work to fund alt. research and what not, this will happen within most of our lifetimes. I'll only be about 65 or 70 when this happens. But you know what, these greedy ******s will never do it. Why? Because they are happy making the coin now and could careless.

You wanna talk about a real axis of evil? Ford, GM, Exxon, etc.

So the answer to an energy crisis would be what? Pray to God to make more oil?

You'll forgive me if I not betting on that working, I mean you have to forgive me right?

All of you religious peeps, in 30 or 40 years when oil IS gone, I wonder what you'll be doing then. As civilization collapes on itself and the world we know ends. (And if you don't think it will end, just think about everything you do every single day and how it revolves around oil)

The real irony, that sounds remarkably like "FIRE AND BRIMSTONE!" to me

Oh I give up you've all lost it

Edited by DivADPArADox

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Be courteous to fellow board members, try to respect the fact that others share different beliefs

Hmm....where oh where have I seen this before?

While the thought of the world running out of oil is scary... this is the best perspective by far. I totally agree.

On the other hand, God always instructs us to be prepared... and so it is important that people prepare for such events. Stock up on things you need, etc etc.

EDIT===

Its incredible to me how many faithless people on Neowin will bash someone of faith in God! Why? Whats the point? You believe what you believe, and that is something you will have to deal with... but don't take it out on others who have faith in more than what the world has to offer.

So the answer to an energy crisis would be what? Pray to God to make more oil?

You'll forgive me if I not betting on that work, I mean you have to forgive me right?

The real irony, that sound remarkably like "FIRE AND BRIMSTONE!" to me

Oh I give up you've all lost it

lol - the both of you...

I have seen God provide 5 million dollars to build a school -

I have seen God provide $3000 worth of grass seed

I have seen God change the heart of those who you would think unchangable.

God can provide oil - and can sustain it, if it is His will...

lol - the both of you...

Holy crap on a stick!

I swear, should it ever happen that your stupidass god really exists, and I happen to run into him on the heavenly tribunal or whatever, I will fsck him sideways up his ass as revenge for spawning a hellbreed of an annoyance that calls himself BOOGMASTERDAN on the internet.

Go do your bible thumping somewhere else, you're really pushing it, pal.

Holy crap on a stick!

I swear, should it ever happen that your stupidass god really exists, and I happen to run into him on the heavenly tribunal or whatever, I will fsck him sideways up his ass as revenge for spawning a hellbreed of an annoyance that calls himself BOOGMASTERDAN on the internet.

Go do your bible thumping somewhere else, you're really pushing it, pal.

Sheesh, what happened did a priest crap in your corn flakes this morning?

Talk about overreacting.

Take a look at the whole Area 51 forum. Pretty much 66% of his recent replies can be summed up as "Teh Bible > y'all". If not more. So there you go. At least thumpers like adonai and semifamous do it decently, not straight in the face like that BOOG dude.

Well one point for those with christian beliefs is in what ever the last chapter (revelations?). The reason is the best guess when armageddon is supposed to happen is right around the time oil is supposed to run out. so all religious people arnt nuts. but as far as a 'god' who will look after me and everyone else, i highly doubt that. and if we as in humanity, are truly his chosen, why do we insist on killing each other through war, gang turf, etc. that in itself would be a grevious sin and grounds to be shunned from heaven no matter what the cause.

also the reason this is such an important topic is because oil is not only used in petrolium, but used in pharmaceuticals, plastics, industrial production, etc. its used in almost every facet of life, somewhere along the line oil is used. to totaly remove oil would cause everything to come to a complete stop unless something is started now, and even now might be too late to start up a completely new industrial revolution. this is because oil will be needed to start this process, such as in the creation of infrastructure, machinery, etc.

yea well

ive seen god's name being used to kill

ive seen it used to justify war and prejudice

ive seen it used to exclude others

god has never helped anyone, to do so would make you dependent on him, havent you seen bruce almighy?