S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow Of Chernobyl

Wow very nice, but DX9 features are getting on my nerves, especially the "bloom" or "soft focus" feature, every damn game and his dog is using it, when i walk down the street i dont see everything in soft focus......

These look even greater in action.

Although I am still noticing some "blurry textures" that Saint Dark pointed out to me a while back.

This game has decided me. I plan to buy a full feature DirectX9 graphics card. And I'm open to suggestions.

It must be a full featured Dx9 card, it must cost me less than $300 AUD, I must be able to get it here in Australia (preferably from Canberra). It must perform equal to or greater than my Asus GeForce 4 Ti 4800 8x....

It can be NVIDIA or ATI, although NVIDIA is preferable (it's a personal opinion thing).

Any good suggestions?

Edited by Chode

hmm imo the screens are a bit bulky or smt, but I'm not worried since I played the dx8 based leaked alpha and it was just incredible :p

hmm imo the screens are a bit bulky or smt, but I'm not worried since I played the dx8 based leaked alpha and it was just incredible  :p

Despite the fact that it was a Dx7 renderer, outdated by two years, had next to no netcode, no physics engine, no vehicles, no weapon/ammo pickups, no missions, no scripted sequences, placeholder sounds/music, and shooting enemies would commonly result in crashing ;)

BTW, cool name, and welcome to the forums.

It must be a full featured Dx9 card, it must cost me less than $300 AUD, I must be able to get it here in Australia (preferably from Canberra). It must perform equal to or greater than my Asus GeForce 4 Ti 4800 8x....

A 9800 Pro is easily the best card to get atm. Unless your willing to dish out the money for a 6800 or X800.

A 9800 Pro is easily the best card to get atm. Unless your willing to dish out the money for a 6800 or X800.

My price limit is $300 AUD :(

What about the 9600xt? Is it good or not? (never thought I'd ask you that question ;) )

My price limit is $300 AUD :(

What about the 9600xt? Is it good or not? (never thought I'd ask you that question ;) )

It's a very good card but honestly I would recommend the 9500 Pro if you can find one. Another option would be the 9800 SE, just make sure it has a 256 bit memory bus. They're just as fast as the 9600/9500 if not slightly faster. They can also be softmodded to enable the 4 disabled pipes, effectively making them a 9800 Pro once you overclock as well. Sometimes you get a bad batch which produces artifacting though, it's kind of a gamble. But the card is still good even if you don't want to risk it.

I'm not sure how much $300 AUD is worth in USD but over here you can get the 9800 Pro for $200, which is only about $25-$50 more then a 9600 XT. Is that not the case over there?

those are some hell ugly looking guys , but yeah the pictures are sweet , will this thing be comin to a ps2 or is it just for pc , coz mah pc wont be able to play all that goody goody stuff ( in plain simple words mah pc sux just like your old neighbour)

$300.00 Australian = $206.19 U.S.

Another thing I should have mentioned is I want it to be good, straight out of the box. I'm not an overclocking fan, coz I never know how long I will be using the component for...and I rather the 2 year warranty my supplier gives me.

So...how is the 9800SE straight out of the box? And is it a full feature Dx9 card?

edit - I might have more time than I thought...the initial stages of a rumour have begun, stating that it will be delayed to March 2005... of course, I know this started with Gamestar.de a while back. They came up with this figure themselves, as they believed that what they were been shown by GSC was nowhere near complete...

I dunno what to think. I hope for September (I dream of July :) ), but dread for March.

According to techbuy.com.au the only 9800 that is under $300 AUD is the 9800SE...but that things performance looks fugly. :no:

Here are some random prices for random graphics cards on that site (for some reason, it seems that NVIDIA is cheaper than ATI's on that site)

ASUS V9570-TD GeForce FX5700, 256MB DDR, TV/DVI: $287.10

Gigabyte GeForce FX5700-Ultra, 128MB-DDR-II, TV/DVI: $322.85

GeCube Radeon 9600XT-D3 256MB 4ns DDR: $283.30

PowerColor Radeon 9600XT 128MB TV/DVI-I: $261.60

PowerColor Radeon 9800 PRO 128MB TV/DVI-I: $409.20

Abit Radeon 9800XT, 256MB, TV/DVI, AGP8X: $742.40

So....in my price bracket I've got a 128MB 9600XT, a 256MB 9600xt, and a 256MB GeForceFX 5700.

Edited by Chode

Stalkers engine really looking something special.

The leaked alpha run really well on a 1.7 celeron with intel extreme intregrated.

And thats saying ALOT.

So....in my price bracket I've got a 128MB 9600XT, a 256MB 9600xt, and a 256MB GeForceFX 5700.

Out of those three the 9600 XT 128 MB is the one to get. Stay away from 256 MB models, they use slow 4.0ns ram.