WeatherAlert

It has whatever the weather.com map list has; if weather.com doesn't have the 300 mile, than neither will the program. I know this was the case with some places I tested. What's your zip?

You have the latest version of the framework? When did this happen (when you started it, changed settings, etc)? If it were a problem with the program it should look something like this

post-88-1087528604.jpg

Edited by darkmark327

yup, I have the latest version of the framework. I opened the program around 4 pm, minimized it and left home till 10, came back, maximized and this happened.

yup, I have the latest version of the framework. I opened the program around 4 pm, minimized it and left home till 10, came back, maximized and this happened.

Damn, it's unfortunate that the error didn't give a stack trace. I leave it on all the time without issue. Do you have the radar imagery turned on? Any idea what that second window (just underneath the error) was? It looks almost like a messagebox. Have you turned off balloon tips by any chance (not that that should cause a crash)? If you're using alerts what are the thresholds (and would alerts have been triggered by your conditions today)?

Edited by darkmark327

I had the radar imagery turned off. The second window was the program window, I had it set to show forecast display -> next to main display. And I don't have the balloon tips turned off.

Alright, I think I know where the problem might be located. I'll try and fix it. I still can't understand why there was no stack trace, which would of course have pinpointed the problem immediately (in fact I think that 2nd window was a message box showing me a caught exception)

Just figured I'd give an update: seems that the radar stuff is giving all sorts of problems when the program is left running for a while. I have to iron that out before tackling the rest.

alright, also the alerts still do not work for me and I have the box checked for it to warn me. My area has had numerous threats in the past two weeks and I didn't receive any of them through your program. I know there were threats because they were scrolling across the weather.com page. nonetheless keep up the great work!

You seem to misunderstand the alerts feature; weather.com doesn't provide me with those actual "alerts", mine are only based on the current condition.

Sorry guys but I've been quite busy; I recently got a full time job, so that makes things more difficult. Also, I am getting another HD and am migrating to a RAID XL configuration which will require me to wipe my drives; I do have spare drives which can fit everything (a 120 & an 80), but not until I compress all of my recorded TV shows which have been piling up; that has been taking pretty much the rest of my time. Nevertheless, I've made a few updates in the past couple of days:

- fixed: sunset / humidity in today's nighttime forecast are sometimes switched

- fixed: errors with program being left on a while (it all had to do with the radar)

- added ability to force updates: to do so you must navigate to HKCU\Software\Solsoft\WeathAlert\Program Options and create a new string value "EnableForcedUpdate" set to "true"...there will then be a menu entry under preferences

- added feature for bug reports (when exceptions occur hopefully it will allow you to send me an error report; of course I won't know how effectively it works unless there are some exceptions, which I've curtailed)

I am in the process of adding the auto-update feature; once that part is finished I will release this update.

Alrighty, I've released the update with the above improvements. Now there is a check for updates feature; you can find it in "About".

As always, I welcome your comments.

Great job!

Questions/Suggestions:

1) is it possible to have a way to collapse the Weather.com stuff (similar to a sidebar or the Weather Today panel that Weatherbug uses)

2) An option to show a tool bar to switch the displays on and off instead of menus would be nice too.

3) If transparent text in the tray is not possible, how about a configuration to change the text and background colors?

The above are not show stoppers though. I have now replaced Weatherbug with this one. Thanks for a great program!

Great job!

Questions/Suggestions:

1) is it possible to have a way to collapse the Weather.com stuff (similar to a sidebar or the Weather Today panel that Weatherbug uses)

2) An option to show a tool bar to switch the displays on and off instead of menus would be nice too.

3) If transparent text in the tray is not possible, how about a configuration to change the text and background colors?

The above are not show stoppers though.  I have now replaced Weatherbug with this one.  Thanks for a great program!

1) The Weather.com guidelines force me to show the stuff at all times; perhaps I'll make another clandestine option to alter that

2) I'm not quite certain what you mean; do you mean something like the screenshot below (but laid out in one row)?

3) That sounds simple enough.

Top app!! whats the performance hit like??

I doubt there's much of one; I know memory use is somewhat high, but it's managed well enough; if you need the memory the .net framework will cut down.

Old school weatherspy! (this was the original, vb version)

post-88-1089138413.jpg

Edited by darkmark327

BTW another small update, this time for the tray; now only one icon that goes back and forth between the condition and temp (if you choose) instead of two icons, not that I suspect many people use the condition icon tray anyway. Good chance to try out the auto update feature if you've actually downloaded that before I replaced it with the new one.

OK I added the ability to change the colors for the temperature tray icon...enjoy. I've also made a few more changes to auto-updates

Edited by darkmark327