A Dolby 5.1 or better Winamp Guide

System Requirements for this Topic...

A Dolby Pro-Logic Compatible Sound Card or AC97 Codec.

At-least 4 Speaker Quadraphonic Setup or 5.1 or better Headphones ~ you can use this for just Stereo, but you cannot use the Center Channel to Surround Option with any real effect.

You Also Need Ears

I have 5.1 sound and 5.1 headphones, But MP3s sound better in simple 2.1 output... sigh, How can 5.1 sound good when winamp is playing in 2.1?

I set out to fix this problem.

Heres what i have to say :D

Lets start of with a picture, Winamp Setup

Ok you have your DFX .. this isn't free, but ime sure you can Get around that slight Issue ;) ( u don't NEED DFX, but Damn the bass and Fidelity helps allot to get that Wonderful SOund !! )

And you have your Realtime Dolby Pro-Logic Encoder.

And off-course you cant run both without a good DSP Stacker.

Now just make sure DFX is first on the list in DSP stacker, otherwise the sound wont be as it should be, you want DFX to do its processing THEN the sound be Dolby Pro-logic Encoded ;) otherwise DFX messes up the sound, you simply do this with the Up and Down Arrows in DSP Stacker.

The Dolby Prologic Encoder will use DPL 1 or 2 Depending o nwhat your card supports, the SOund is Upmixed to whatever Surround sound setting your card is using, This Sounds Incredible !!! you wont want to listen to your MP3s any other way.

Heres some Setup Recommendations.

If you have simple Stereo Speakers, Disable Enable Center channel to surround. You can enjoy the Bass redirection to make the bass more Sub-woofer like, With high quality headphones.. the Bass will sound like a real Sub ;)

With 4 speakers or 5.1 Setups, use as is in the Screen-shot.

With 5.1 or better Headphones Same as 4 or 5.1, and you will enjoy the Almost as Sub-woofer Bass from your Headphones ;)

so you need DFX for that :(

EDIT: What version of DFX is best for that (give precise number plz)

the latest, DFX 6.400

I edited my post to Say that u don't need dfx, ide simply highly recommend it to enhance the bass so it sounds better with the Bass Redirection and improve the MP3 Fidelity so u can bask in the Surround sound with total Clear Sound :woot:

Well, I have a Audigy 2 and Z680s and this doesn't work for me sadly...

EDIT: Fixed, Darn Creative drivers switched settings to 2.1 and I changed them although Winamp didn't update...

Edited by Finsta

Well, I have a Audigy 2 and Z680s and this doesn't work for me sadly...

EDIT: Fixed, Darn Creative drivers switched settings to 2.1 and I changed them although Winamp didn't update...

Im using Audigy 2 Platnum and Creative inspire 5.1's and im never going back :D

Edit: Heh you edited just as i quoted :whistle:

ok now.. seems to me you know a lot about uhm.. sound :p

i have a question now : when i play my mp3's in Vice City.. they sound so much better.. powerfull bass, loud.. i mean.. i can't get that effect in winamp.. i have nVidia Soundstorm and that's more then i need.. i only have a 2.1 setup cause that's enough for me.. no need for fancy 5.1 in my room.. :p

so does this have to do with EAX or so?

No, it uses ProLogic to create reverb. EAX is really great when you have 4.1 or 5.1 sound. EAX provides environmental effects for sounds, such as echoes in high halled rooms...etc The Plugins are DSP and Prologic plugins and have nothing to do with EAX. For Creative users: Disable CMSS when using this as it'll just try to reverb the source and make it sound like sh't

No, it uses ProLogic to create reverb. EAX is really great when you have 4.1 or 5.1 sound. EAX provides environmental effects for sounds, such as echoes in high halled rooms...etc The Plugins are DSP and Prologic plugins and have nothing to do with EAX. For Creative users: Disable CMSS when using this as it'll just try to reverb the source and make it sound like sh't

ah ok... i tested it and you where right.. in windvd i also get that same sound..

so any prologic plugins for winamp? :shifty:

ah ok... i tested it and you where right.. in windvd i also get that same sound..

so any prologic plugins for winamp?&nbsp:shifty:y:

Realtime Dolby Pro-Logic Encoder.

Was posted in the first post. Although, if you have a 2.1 system there's no need for this. This is only used if you have a Quadraphonic(4.1) or 5.1 sound system as the 2.1 system is just stereo with a sub.

I have a Audigy2 ZS, 680-Zs and just just got the awesome Senhiser HD580 Headphones :woot: :woot: I must say its sounds a better now. good job :)

Realtime Dolby Pro-Logic Encoder.

Was posted in the first post. Although, if you have a 2.1 system there's no need for this. This is only used if you have a Quadraphonic(4.1) or 5.1 sound system as the 2.1 system is just stereo with a sub.

even with my 2.1 i still it sounds better then then without prologic.. i would have played all my mp3 in windvd.. too bad it's not meant as an mp3 player.. for that we got winamp :happy:

even with my 2.1 i still it sounds better then then without prologic.. i would have played all my mp3 in windvd.. too bad it's not meant as an mp3 player.. for that we got winamp:happy:y:

Agreed.

Do you have some type of echo effect? I do with mine and I have a Audigy 2, almost the same card just with some added stuff.

u know what i do. i just realised that. its the DFX. i guess u have to play with the settings to get the right sound.

This is surround emulation though is it not ? What if my mp3's were ripped from a 5.1 Audio CD ? I think mp3's need upgrades :-( Are there any audio formats that support 5.1+ that I can rip a cd to ? My computer doesn't have 5.1 but my tv does and i have fiber optic audio output on my xbox and i use xbox media center to play stuff on the nicer system heh, stream them from my computer

This is surround emulation though is it not ? What if my mp3's were ripped from a 5.1 Audio CD ? I think mp3's need upgrades :-( Are there any audio formats that support 5.1+ that I can rip a cd to ? My computer doesn't have 5.1 but my tv does and i have fiber optic audio output on my xbox and i use xbox media center to play stuff on the nicer system heh, stream them from my computer

Yes, but it would be over a gig. Rip the cd in raw AC3 :D

ok i dont need the DFX. it sounds much better without it. besides i also got a small amp for the headphones. it has filters and a processing unit to clear up the sound. the dobly enocder does help a lot though.

@SintaX

how did u get a optical out on ur xbox?

ok i dont need the DFX. it sounds much better without it. besides i also got a small amp for the headphones. it has filters and a processing unit to clear up the sound. the dobly enocder does help a lot though.

@SintaX

there is a special cable you can buy for it :)

it's called the: Xbox Digital AV cable set

@SintaX

Buy the Advanced AV pack for it, which supports HDTV, uses Component Video and L+R but it has an optical out port on it for dolby digital dts, also the svideo kit has that too i believe, i used my brothers fiber optic wire from his PS2 and it works fine :-D i didnt wanna spend 40$ for a Monster Cable brand optic cable heh

Doch, everything sounds horrific with all these plug-ins... maybe because my sound drivers already have all these options anyway ? :)