A Dolby 5.1 or better Winamp Guide

:D

Had to register to say a BIG THANKS to Visentinel,

excellent guide, what I have been wanting to do for ages,

Lucky I stumbled across this place, :)

Just one point to make, if these instructions make no difference for you,

you might like to check that the Winamp plugin for Directsound output is set to use your sound card rather than the Primary sound driver.

Well it worked for me, :)

The sweeper

KB 5.1 Channel Output Plugin is another great plugin. (and... :D , it's an Output, not a DSP Plugin)

Configure output for different decoding settings such as Matrix Decoder, Dolby Surround, and Dolby Prologic II.

You can configure speaker output left, right, center as well as rear left and rear right.

Also has a master volume slider for more juice if needed.

dolbybig.jpg

Holy crapoly!!!!

I just ran Enhancer while listening to some opera mp3s. I can't believe what I used to be listening to, hahahaha.

I tried enhancer and it sounds awesome, but it messes with my "always on top" setting, any ideas?

Hide damn Blade DolbyMp Encoder window:

CMDOW "Blade DolbyMP Encoder - v0.9Beta" /hid

of coruse you need cmdow

would be nice if you could just right a plug in that runs that at start up

anyone care to?

For Emu10k based cards, Such as Sound Blaster Live 5.1, I would also suggest the KX Audio Drivers. It gives you ALOT more options to add better sound that the original Creative drivers. Its an awesome thing and I couldnt live without it. It can be found at www.kxproject.com..........Laters :)

or you can all save youself the trouble and if you have 5.1 correctly configured with windows, then goto preferences-->plugins-->output-->directsound

then in the plug in, select your sound card from the menu, click hardware acceleration. restart winamp, and goto the output plugin again and see if winamp recongizes your 5.1.

here is my screenie for reference. but nice guide nontheless. (Y)

post-107-1091723974.jpg

or you can all save youself the trouble and if you have 5.1 correctly configured with windows, then goto preferences-->plugins-->output-->directsound

then in the plug in, select your sound card from the menu, click hardware acceleration. restart winamp, and goto the output plugin again and see if winamp recongizes your 5.1.

here is my screenie for reference. but nice guide nontheless. (Y)

(Y) Exactly what I use. No plugin needed!!

i used to use Dynamic Surround sound for an output plug-in...and it sounded pretty good...so i tried your guide with that plugin off (used directsound output) and it wont work. I just get some echoing in the center and the fron speakers....the rear speakers wont even work...i have a Z-640 and use the onboard sound on my P4C800-E Deluxe....thx

only plugins that i run for winamp are the ones that come with winamp and one that enables me to use my Wintv PVR250 remote with winamp.

i've got a audigy 2 ZS and use the equailzer setting at rock, got CMSS 3D enabled at CMSS 2, Bass management - bass volume to set high. All spekers voume set to high and 3DB. Got the winamp Rock preset on. Got my Philps a.3.610 (flat pannel 5.1) set to game which give more bass and the treb and fade are left alone with on the speakers.

Thats my set up and love it alot and alot of songs just sound f'ing amazing

Gr8 tips.Certainly works for me.

Btw,guys a few days ago i found another gr8 dsp plug-in called oss 3d.Singleplug-in works for whole bunch of media players.And offers gr8 sound.

For more info check this

Thanks again for the tips.

Not much different here. Kinda hard when already have a $200 sound card, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro.

Plus CSS working fine here. No echos or anything. That and I'm using 7.1. :)

you should try enhancer

I have the ZS PP as well, and i hear a BIG difference with it on, especially if you have good speakers

my rear speakers sound better than with just an output plugin...but i still to have the plugin for all my speakers to work...

well anyways, how come the DSP Stacker freezes my winamp?? it sometimes just freezes when Winamp is open...and after it's installed, my winamp wont even open....right after it opens, it freezes...anyone whats wrong??

• 3 weeks later...

For all of you with soundcards and surround sound on their winamp, here is my advice. Figure your windows settings for 5.1 like everyone has said, however try a plug in with it. Go onto winamps website and locate the original "Simply Surround" plugin. Add this to your winamp and then doctor either your speakers directly or your winamp equalizer to cover for the extra treble tone you get, and you will really be enjoying your system. Especially if it is in a smaller enclosed area.

I've got a Yamaha DSP AZ2 amp (fully digital suround sound) and a digital out on the motherboard from the 5.1 onboard sound, I don't have a soundcard. :blink: Of course the sound will be offset, but I can stick it in 8 channel stereo, that'll cure it. Who needs an Audigy :cool:

Found this on /. too:

http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=article&dId=695

Edited by johndoh

• 3 weeks later...
If you have the Z-680s why don't you just use the PL2 Music setting on them instead of a plugin?

I have these speakers and was wondering the same thing myself...