Msn/Hotmail Ups Storage Space

As with the others that posted screenies...... this one is the main Hotmail post-login screen, and you'll notice in the lower corners ....

Lets see... hotmail has over 28 million users. so i'll just use 28 as a ballpark. and every account just went up 248 megs.

That is 6944 Terrabytes of space added onto just their EMAIL servers?! Bloody amazing...

It also says we are getting MSN Calendar back for free.

Ryan

I've never used that feature. Never even knew about it. Is it alot like the calendar in Outlook or something?

Lets see... hotmail has over 28 million users. so i'll just use 28 as a ballpark. and every account just went up 248 megs.

That is 6944 Terrabytes of space added onto just their EMAIL servers?! Bloody amazing...

they're predicting that only a small fraction will be using anything like the amount of space that will become available to them so they won't be adding anything like this amount.

Hotmail's 250mb is better than Yahoo 100mb however I don't like 30 days account expire thing on Hotmail. I still like Yahoo better.

Main issue with the free Yahoo service is that it still attaches an advertisement to every email you send. That is pretty lame.

I've never used that feature. Never even knew about it. Is it alot like the calendar in Outlook or something?

yes with the advantage that you can make it public and share it with other people.

Main issue with the free Yahoo service is that it still attaches an advertisement to every email you send. That is pretty lame.

uhmm doesn't Hotmail do this too :wacko: ?

i think the best question is: can you use this calendar with outlook or only through the web interface?

i think the best question is: can you use this calendar with outlook or only through the web interface?

I guess you are right.

I only use Outlook Express 6 currently. With it, I can create a Hotmail folder to check my 2 meg hotmail account and never have to logon to the web site at all. I hope that feature is still there after the upgrade to 250 meg.

I think it would be equally great if you could access the calendar for free with the full version of Outlook, just like you can access the email for free without having to logon to the web site. That way you could do all if it right there within Outlook and not have to mess with logging onto the Hotmail site and dealing with advertisements.

I hope someone can confirm what up after the changes are made.

Thats assuming every user will max out their limit! very unlikely

They don't have that 30 day erase thing on the INBOX, right? Only the SENT stuff?

One of the cool things about using Hotmail in Outlook Express is that it is easy to drag and drop from your inbox/sent folders over to local folders on your hard drive, so you are covered either way.

Currently they have two options, but both are only for MSN Premium subscribers. MSN Connector for Outlook automaticaly syncs your online information with Outlook. So under "Calendar" in Outlook you have your local one and one called MSN.

The other option is ActiveSync or something. You have to run it manually, but it syncs with your local calendar / contacts / tasks... etc... so you don't have two Calendars and Contact lists under outlook.

I don't know if these will become available for normal subscribers, but my guess is no :(

They don't have that 30 day erase thing on the INBOX, right? Only the SENT stuff?

One of the cool things about using Hotmail in Outlook Express is that it is easy to drag and drop from your inbox/sent folders over to local folders on your hard drive, so you are covered either way.

For free members, all your information will be erased if you don't log in after 30 days. This was done to combat the millions of dorment Hotmail accounts that sit there. Hell, I have over a dozen that I will never use again :D

Currently they have two options, but both are only for MSN Premium subscribers. MSN Connector for Outlook automaticaly syncs your online information with Outlook. So under "Calendar" in Outlook you have your local one and one called MSN.

The other option is ActiveSync or something. You have to run it manually, but it syncs with your local calendar / contacts / tasks... etc... so you don't have two Calendars and Contact lists under outlook.

I don't know if these will become available for normal subscribers, but my guess is no :(

Outlook Connector and Intellisync will remain premium features. :cry:

Here is another news story, this one making some things even clearer:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/busi...3770_msn24.html

Key stuff:

As part of its new offering, Microsoft will also do away with the extra storage packages it had offered Hotmail users, which ranged from $19.95 a year for 10 megabytes of storage to $59.95 a year for 100 megabytes.

Instead, users can pay $19.95 a year for MSN Hotmail Plus, a service that offers 2 gigabytes, or 2,000 megabytes, of online storage ? virtually infinite storage space, Microsoft said. For those accounts, it will replace the e-mail banner advertisements with simple text-based advertisements. These users will also be able to send attachments of up to 20 megabytes.

seems they keep changing their minds one min its 25mb next its 250mb. They prob read the posts here about 25mb accounts and changed their minds.

seems they keep changing their minds one min its 25mb next its 250mb. They prob read the posts here about 25mb accounts and changed their minds.

I never saw anything about 25 meg at all for the free service. I wonder where people got that from. Maybe I missed something.

I never saw anything about 25 meg at all for the free service. I wonder where people got that from. Maybe I missed something.

Ya was a news article on the main page a while back mate :)