Uxtheme installation under Windows XP/2003

Thnx insanekiwi for this guide because the neowin patch didn't work, because I can't reboot in save mode @ my laptop (Acer Aspire 1710).

I got one warning when I replaced the original uxtheme.dll, but when I rebooted it works so np.

Thnx (happy guy now :D)

the uxtheme patcher only works for xp gold and sp1 :yes:

little sidenote: i got an emai lfrom vortex todaysaying he liked my idea and thanked me for giving credit to him.

nice guide.

I however, usually just get the Uxtheme.dll for the widows version I have, boot to safe mode. rename the existing uxtheme.dll to what ever you decide. I do uxtheme.doc. then quickly drag and drop or copy pastse the target one in the folder. Reboot to normal mode, done. I then access my display and see if it took or not.

fortunnately, I use image files, so I don't have to do it oftten, just when I apply SP2 versions.

thanks so much for this guide, it really helped me!

welcome to neowin Nenne :fun:

it's good to see that my little guide is being used by some people :yes:

when u download the new dll from that site (step 1) u download a .rar file..... do u drop the .rar file into the replacer?

i think that .rar is kinda like a zip file... im not sure tho. If it is, would u plz direct me to the program i will need in order to unzip it...

sorry for the stupid questions... thanks for your time.

when u download the new dll from that site (step 1) u download a .rar file..... do u drop the .rar file into the replacer?

i think that .rar is kinda like a zip file... im not sure tho. If it is, would u plz direct me to the program i will need in order to unzip it...

sorry for the stupid questions... thanks for your time.

it's all on page #1. the program, the dll where and howto. you just need to read :yes:

I haven't got a clue which file to download from the server that you mentioned...... it doesn't list my windows version. Here's a screenshot of what I see when I type 'winver'

oh what shall I do? :) . The neowin patch doesn't work for me.

post-107-1091047194.jpg

All in the clear now, I've discovered the '5.1' gives it away a little ;-).

Please though - how do I edit my posts I just make? I can't see an 'edit' button anywhere.

Yo kiwi do you mind if i quote this and add that you were the author and all that good jazz? I need this guide on dsites.net to be stickied so people can stop asking me about it :D

Yo kiwi do you mind if i quote this and add that you were the author and all that good jazz? I need this guide on dsites.net to be stickied so people can stop asking me about it :D

sure man. i got your PM. use this guide and make people happy :yes: (and understand it)

Thank you kiwi. This guide is awesome and this forum has tons of great computer information. The guide opened up a whole new world of themes. :)

I'd just like to know if there is anyway to modify the icons without using a third part application? Also can you modify the start up screen?

uhm, what do you mean by icons? desktop/explorer icons? the whole shell32.dll? or filetypes?

do you mean the windows startup screen?

Well I guess all the icons. I've seen some really nice ones, but I can only put them when they are themes and not all Visual Styles come as themes, but as appearences. I think I'm refferring to the shell32.dll. I don't know what it is, but I think it is the icons correct?

you can exchange icons manually one by one or use 3rd party software like iconpackager which changes all the file and "location" icons like control panel, network etc.

if you want to mod your system totally then you're right about the shell32.dll. basically it's the same procedure as with the uxtheme.dll :yes:

basically yea. you need a shell32.dll that will work on your windows version (for example sp1 etc). always backup your orginal files tho :yes: