Uxtheme installation under Windows XP/2003

hmm, I've upgraded to WindowsXP SP2 (norwegian) and I can't seem to find the norwegian uxtheme.dll (patch),

so I installed styleXP, but I couldn't change visual style. wtf is wrong?

any norwegian members with norwegian OS here that could help me, or anyone else?

i don't think there's a norwegian dll file (yet). but people tell me the swedish or danish version *may* work aswell.

http://67.21.149.118:8080/repository/Patch...ndows%20XP/SP2/

if it doesn't work, stick with stylexp.

584761358[/snapback]

I tried both danish, swedish and also the english dll file, that didn't work,

and that wasn't the only thing that didn't work,

styleXP can't seem to change any of my visual styles,

and I can't even use Luna, so I'm stuck with Windows Classic :(

damn microsoft, I hate you, you always have to make things so difficult :angry:

you should try contacting vortex. maybe he is already working on a norwegian version.

584764993[/snapback]

Nice Guide :D think ive told u that before aswell lol.

so weird....I replaced my dll file again (the 8th time) with the swedish patched version, and it worked, I can now use visual styles again :D

and also, before that I noticed that the original dll file was the old version (sp1) even though I had upgraded to sp2. :s well anyway, it works now and I'm happy :p

Hi. God i feel such a noob to be posting this but i don't know what version of windowsi have. Well, this is what i get when i type winver into run:

winver.jpg

So what version of windows do i have here and which file do i download? http://67.21.149.118:8080/repository/Patch...e/Windows%20XP/

I feel like a total noob but really im not....i just did an A-Level in computing.

Any answers would be great, thanks :)

:ninja: I think this guide should be updated with information for people who cannot write to / delete their uxtheme.dll.

XP keeps a bunch of copies of uxtheme.dll and even if you somehow succed to delete it and copy your downloaded uxtheme.dll it will recognise it as alien and automatically copy over it - no questions asked.

It doesnt help to reboot into safemode with commandprompt. Xp still has it's failsafe precautions enable then.

The Solution: The only way to go about this problem is to boot your computer with the installation cd and choose repair in the installation menu. Then you can finally remove windows uxtheme.dll and replace it without the pesky automated XP integrity protections.

There IS another way to go about this that is far more simple: Just find the option that disables XP to take actions of it's own and prevents the user to overwrite systemfiles. However - I havent yet found this option - I only know it to exist somewhere.

If you know how to do it the somple way, please tell me!

1) you can do this w/o safemode, just use the patcher, it replaces the file

2) "There IS another way to go about this that is far more simple: Just find the option that disables XP to take actions of it's own and prevents the user to overwrite systemfiles." this feature is called windows file protection aka wfp. replacer sneaks around that aswell.

3) you need admin rights to replace the file, of course it doesn't work if you have a restricted account.

1) you can do this w/o safemode, just use the patcher, it replaces the file

Nopse, the patcher doesnt work for everyone appearantly. And you cannot do it in safemode either. For some people it works, for some it doesnt. I am guessing it has something to do with different language dists of XP . I cant figure out what else would be different... I mean, all the file versions and version of XP is correct. But then again, XP was never logic :D

2) "There IS another way to go about this that is far more simple: Just find the option that disables XP to take actions of it's own and prevents the user to overwrite systemfiles." this feature is called windows file protection aka wfp. replacer sneaks around that aswell.

Yes I know. I am looking for the setting which disables it, thanks thou.
3) you need admin rights to replace the file, of course it doesn't work if you have a restricted account.

584820788[/snapback]

I didnt write I was logged into a restricted account for a reason; cause I wasnt. ;)

the neowin patcher only works for english versions.

my guide shows howto use a replacing program in combination with your localized uxtheme.dll file. if there's none available in your language it not my or the programs fault. it won't work then.

for finding a guide on howto disable wfp please use google ro the forum search function.

thanks.

the neowin patcher only works for english versions.

my guide shows howto use a replacing program in combination with your localized uxtheme.dll file. if there's none available in your language it not my or the programs fault. it won't work then.

for finding a guide on howto disable wfp please use google ro the forum search function.

thanks.

584820913[/snapback]

I stand corrected... I completely missed the replacer.exe thing step in your guide, sorry. :blush:

I tried the 2.5 patcher and it didn't work. So I need to find that file. I'm not sure of which one I should get. I have Version 5.1( Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158). Once I have the correct uxtheme.dll file, I go through the guide. Is that replacer program pretty easy to use?

Thanks for the help. This is my first visit to this site.

welcome to neowin man.

you need the uxtheme file for sp2 final aka rtm ("Version 5.1( Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)")

the replacer app is very easy to use. just goto page #1 and do it step by step.

By SP2 final do you mean SP2 RC2? I'm not sure which one to get because none of them match the numbers I found when I typed winver in the cmd. There are 3 EN files, which I guess mean english.

I went through the entire guide and found the right uxtheme file. Someone else had asked for the same one. I got it running, and now I have to learn about dock icons. Here is the first theme I am trying.

Thanks for the help and the guide.