Uxtheme installation under Windows XP/2003

update: https://www.neowin.net/comments.php?categor...ftware&id=24302

Windows X has released the latest update to the Neowin UXTheme Multi Patcher now at v2.5.

The Neowin UXTheme Multi Patcher allows you to use any 3rd party msstyle theme on Windows XP/SP1/SP2 or Windows Server 2003 (with Themes enabled) by patching the uxtheme.dll (dynamic link library).

* ChangesAdded network installation warning

* Updated Windows XP Service Pack 2 compatibilities (Works on all languages)

get it here: http://download.neowin.net/nw_uxtheme.zip

my guide is useless now then, i hope it helped some people ;)

my host (freind of mine) disappeard, he#s in the airforce and can't look after his doamins atm. hope to be able to contact him soon. oh well, doesnt really matter. vortexs' site works just fine. no need for a mirror.

Yeah, you trying to be the uxtheme man doesn't work :no:

Also why are you obsessed on using the replacer when it works 99.99% of the time replacing the file manually? Its also much more fun as well :whistle:

why are yo utrying to be a mod addict instead of posting helpful comments?

and replacing the file manuyll doesnt work since windows uses it. you need to boot into safe mode :whistle:

now go and admire creamhackered again...

Im posting from his closed and I already have 10 shrines for him which I worship 30 times each day :blink:

Also no this is how you do it:

1) Rename uxtheme.dll to uxtheme.dll.old

2) Put the new uxtheme.dll into C:\Windows\System32

3) Reboot and delete uxtheme.dll.old

And I am giving helpful comments, actually telling these people what they are doing to their computer instead of giving my system32 files into the hands of other people. Also you don't need to go anywhere near Safe Mode...oh well some people never learn :no:

I followed insanekiwi guide but it didn't work. Nothing happened, after I rebooted I right click on my desktop and clicked on the appearance tab but didn't see my themes that are in the folder that insanekiwi said they would be in, so I click on the theme tab and still nothing. I have enclosed a picture of what version build of xp I have. I was wondering if someone can direct me to the correct file I need, I think I might have downloaded the wrong uxtheme file.

fpi.jpg

Dynasty Illusions, patching the uxtheme.dll file doesn't bring up any files. What you need to do to get the themes to show up on the system properties is to put the files into C:\Windows\Resources\

The .theme file needs to be in C:\Windows\Resources\ and the .msstyle file and other files need to be in a folder

e.g.

C:\Windows\Resources\Dynasty.theme

C:\Windows\Resources\Dynasty\Dynasty.msstyle

If that is not easy enough to understand, as sitting here i am confusing myself as well, just download a theme and double click the.msstyle file (this should bring up the system properties box) and then just click OK. The theme should work. If it doesn't then either me or insanekiwi can get you the link to the Neowin Uxtheme Patcher by WindowsX to automatically patch the uxtheme.dll for you or to send you the correct uxtheme.dll which should work :)

Can't edit now and yes sorry i posted that from a Windows 2000 PC which had the files in C:\WINNT and no Resources folder so i couldn't check...oh well :whistle:

Awesome! It works :D ! After the restart, I applied a theme. Then I restarted to see if the theme would stay and it did! Thanks for guide and so long Style XP :happy: .

Yeah, same here and StyleXP never was any good :)

same. i hate the fact to pay/use for a 3rd party program only to get themes working under xp.

Help!

I cant run the cmd file :( Its registered as a "Cybiko Command File".

i have never heard of "Cybiko Command File". not even google gave me an answer. please post a screenshot.

What cmd file :blink:

Larneys Guide:

1) Rename uxtheme.dll to uxtheme.dll.old

2) Put the new uxtheme.dll into C:\Windows\System32

3) Reboot and delete uxtheme.dll.old

:whistle: