How good is your antivirus?

Question

Since most would like to argue bout what is the best antivirus. I decided to open this thread solely for testing your preferred antivirus. This is a compilation of a group of hackers.

*************WARNING*************

THIS IS NOT FOR THE SCAREDY CATS. THERE ARE ALL VALID VIRUSES. DO NOT OPEN THEM OR EXTRACT THEM TO ANY LOCATION. SAFEST METHOD TO TEST YOUR ANTIVIRUS IS TO SCAN THE COMPRESSED FILE. I WILL NOT TAKE ANY RESPONSIBILITIES FOR YOUR ACTION.

Here's a link to download an archive file containing the viruses. READ THE WARNING BELOW BEFORE CLICKING HERE

TEST THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK

If you dare to take this challenge, do post the screenshots of the antivirus in action and please do not use any Photoshoping skills to manipulate the results.

Try to post at least the following information for others to evaluate

1) Program/scan engine version (Exm NAV 2004, AVG 6 Paid Version, SAV 9.0.0.338 and etc)

2) Any settings you changed

3) Screenshots (Optional as proof)

EDIT: Contrary to the filename which tells you 455 viruses, no it is not. Actual total is 593. If your antivirus detected them all, well done.

Edited by dreamthief

OK...

My antivirus software is KNOWLEDGE! (Like not using IE/OE, not opening anything I didn't expect, and keeping Windows up to date.)

And my knowledge says I'm not going to download those viruses and put them on my computer because that's rather suspicious.

I do use AVG as a backup tho, just in case.

pillock.

1) not everyone *knows* as much as you do :rolleyes:

2) most people out there get tricked into downloading viruses, they're not spread by admins/experts, it's usually users.

i use OE and all of the machines i admin use IE - we've had 1 instance of a virus in 18 months, by someone using a disk with blaster on, it was caught by norton.

AVG didn't do too bad. It did let you download the file suggesting it doesn't scan in compressed files in the background, mind you i'm using the free version.

But 556 Viruses detected, way more than that norton :p.

post-12-1088276060.jpg

NOD32, Version 1.784 (20040610). Here's the result. I got a friend with NOD32 updated with the latest virus definition. Same results as below.

Do an update and try again. Your sigs are old.

Well like I said I stoped counting at around 500 with Norton AV 2004 and btw it removed access to files before they could be open.

I'll see if I can upload it somewhere. Hope they don't find out it's a virus though. I'm only gonna leave it up for 24 hours btw if I do get it up.

pillock.

1) not everyone *knows* as much as you do :rolleyes:

2) most people out there get tricked into downloading viruses, they're not spread by admins/experts, it's usually users.

i use OE and all of the machines i admin use IE - we've had 1 instance of a virus in 18 months, by someone using a disk with blaster on, it was caught by norton.

hmm i hope you don't mean me :p . But i did give warning.. in CAPITAL. As i said, it is perfectly safe if you have an antivirus installed.

Look at earlier posts, some GOOD AV didn't even allow the download to complete.

This is just to proof some points.

1) A good AV will not allow you to download the file. (Unless you purposely turn it off like myself)

2) Even if you scan the archive, it should detect all the viruses and remove the file. SAV did it automatically without me choosing any options (i did not change any settings, all at default). NOD32 detected it and asked me what i should do with it (not a very good procedure is it? for newbies anyway)

I'll see if I can upload it somewhere. Hope they don't find out it's a virus though. I'm only gonna leave it up for 24 hours btw if I do get it up.

Why don't you double zip it or something, so they will have to extract the compressed virus file.

I don't know if AV can scan though the 2nd compressed file, if not then it shouldn't trigger their AV if they have one.

I don't understand why my results with Norton 2004 would have been so much lower than others with Norton. I have the lastest dat files, b/c I ran liveupdate right before I did the test. My results really bother me. Anyone have any ideas?

@Neotech

Read carefully my first post. Actual total is 594

@digitalslacker

Maybe you should update your SAV to version 9. DId significantly better. I am using it. detected 589.

@nuka_t

duh.. it's a windows virus. Hmm i didn't explicitly state that... :blush:

@alpoinacan

Read carefully, i stated... i checked with my friend with UPDATED virus definition. still same results. I dont mind you correcting me. Try it out.. post me the screenshots to prove me wrong.