How good is your antivirus?

Question

Since most would like to argue bout what is the best antivirus. I decided to open this thread solely for testing your preferred antivirus. This is a compilation of a group of hackers.

*************WARNING*************

THIS IS NOT FOR THE SCAREDY CATS. THERE ARE ALL VALID VIRUSES. DO NOT OPEN THEM OR EXTRACT THEM TO ANY LOCATION. SAFEST METHOD TO TEST YOUR ANTIVIRUS IS TO SCAN THE COMPRESSED FILE. I WILL NOT TAKE ANY RESPONSIBILITIES FOR YOUR ACTION.

Here's a link to download an archive file containing the viruses. READ THE WARNING BELOW BEFORE CLICKING HERE

TEST THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK

If you dare to take this challenge, do post the screenshots of the antivirus in action and please do not use any Photoshoping skills to manipulate the results.

Try to post at least the following information for others to evaluate

1) Program/scan engine version (Exm NAV 2004, AVG 6 Paid Version, SAV 9.0.0.338 and etc)

2) Any settings you changed

3) Screenshots (Optional as proof)

EDIT: Contrary to the filename which tells you 455 viruses, no it is not. Actual total is 593. If your antivirus detected them all, well done.

Edited by dreamthief

I'm think of downloading NOD32 because of the bad AVG7 pro outcome

Can someone tell me a few things

1. Why has it got such a silly name

2. What is the interface like. AVG's has always been ugly - is it better?

3. Is it low on memory, and quick to start up / do things

4. What are the automatic updates like. how often and does it update the program w/ virus defs

Thanks guys

he he he.... :no: no, I am making a point, for some people, what is more important than having a good AV, if is not up-todate definitions!! Even when you have the same AV Program, they all get different results!!! ;)

Do you realise that you just posted your username and password for your ftp? I advise you to remove it. Upload it using Neowin's File attachment if you dont know how to properly hide your details.

Do you realise that you just posted your username and password for your ftp? I advise you to remove it. Upload it using Neowin's File attachment if you dont know how to properly hide your details.

Well why did you have to alert everyone to this fact. That was a bit of a crummy thing to do, when you could have just PM'ed him

That really sucked man :no:

NAV2004 25-06-04 virus defs Found 590 out of 598, 300 repaired

my guess is that NAV doesn't detect all the virii as some are old and not around much, also, it probably detects virus like activity and stops them anyhow

Dude, I don't pay for that account, and what can you find on that ftp?... pictures posted? I mean, be my guest! thank tho... but is not like I have National Security Documents in there!!

4. What are the automatic updates like. how often and does it update the program w/ virus defs

Thanks guys

1) I have no idea

2) Somehow similar, argumentative issue.

3) Definitely low on memory, scan is fast and no heavy load on the computer

4) It depends but on average, daily, http://www.nod32.com/support/info.htm. You just have to update it through an interface, similar to Norton LiveUpdate.

There's a trial version. You can download it and test it out first. BTW i am using SAV and NOD32, on different computers. Here's the post earlier [Linky]

Missed 10 but still a good score.

Thanks guys

1. It's originally an acronym from a different language... will have to look tha tup

2. Interface is pretty usable

3. One of the fastest AVs hands down (but lacks in unpacking, and trojan detection)

4. Updates quickly, from several times a day, to a couple times a week (usually daily)

I think what this "package" should be, is passworded.

1) I have no idea

2) Somehow similar, argumentative issue.

3) Definitely low on memory, scan is fast and no heavy load on the computer

4) It depends but on average, daily, http://www.nod32.com/support/info.htm. You just have to update it through an interface, similar to Norton LiveUpdate.

There's a trial version. You can download it and test it out first. BTW i am using SAV and NOD32, on different computers. Here's the post earlier [Linky]

Missed 10 but still a good score.

Cheers mate.

Just one more thing. Does SP2 RC2 Shield Detect it?

Well why did you have to alert everyone to this fact. That was a bit of a crummy thing to do, when you could have just PM'ed him

That really sucked man :no:

Haha... it was actually posted in Toxixx's 15k post count. I just relayed it here. No biggies. Everyone knows bout it. I just thought i post it here, he/she might realise it since he is still posting in this thread. Sorry, didn't mean to do any harm.

And besides A1Capone posted it wasn's his/her account. So we are all good. :)

@Colin-uk

You seriously need to check out your AV. LOL... others did get AVG to scan it.

@StaticFish

What do you mean by SP2 RC2 Shield? There's no antivirus included FYI. MS just added a firewall and if that is what you are asking, No firewall cannot block nor detect it. Only AV can get the job done.

@mihir

Don't use the "Knowledge" AV like the previous poster. More and more viruses or worms spread without you having to double click or physically executing it to infect your computer. MSBlaster is a good example. You will be surprised IF one day your computer is loaded with viruses. That time dont say i "didn't told you so". :p

I think he means does the security centre thing detect its status etc? I'd also like to know?

Security centre is just one stop place for users to configure and view all the security tools settings like whether the installed firewall (any commercial firewalls) is turned on or even installed on the computer or the AV virus definitions are updated/requires updating.

If blocking of malicious Java Script exploits spreading through IE, then the answer is yes, it helps in a way. But viruses is still not detectable without an AV.

Personally between the two, i would suggest NOD32. It's easier to configure than Kaspersky. Kaspersky UI is quite a horror if you ask me. Maybe before making a purchase, download a trial version and test out the trial version.

Security centre is just one stop place for users to configure and view all the security tools settings like whether the installed firewall (any commercial firewalls) is turned on or even installed on the computer or the AV virus definitions are updated/requires updating.

If blocking of malicious Java Script exploits spreading through IE, then the answer is yes, it helps in a way. But viruses is still not detectable without an AV.

Yes.. i know what it is ;)

But it dosnt answer the question. Does the RC2 AV protection detect NOD