Official WWDC 2004 discussion

I can't believe some of you guys. Apple ripped off probably one of the most envied pieces of software available for OS X in most eyecandy circles, and you all applaud them for it? Way to support your independant software developers.

And don't even get me started about Launchbar or Rocketlauncher...

Edited by gawdflesh

comparable lcd's, well kinda...

[Apple 30"]

• Brightness
    270 cd/m2
  • Contrast ratio
    400:1
  • Response time
    16 ms

[benq FPFP231W]

• Brightness
    250 cd/m2
  • Contrast ratio
    500:1
  • Response time
    16 ms

[samsung 243T-Silver]

• Brightness
    300 cd/m2
  • Contrast ratio
  • Response time
    N/A

[samsung 323T-Black]

• Brightness
    450 cd/m2
  • Contrast ratio
  • Response time
    22 ms

Umm, don't refer to it as WinFS as though Microsoft came up with the idea of metadata. The concept has existed for ages.

What we do know is that it didn't take Apple five years to implement it.

Exactly. I guess this confirms the rumors that the file system developer from BeOS has been working on OS X.

does anone know if a Powerbook G5 was announced, I've got e second interview with Apple for the new store opening on regent street and fingers crossed I'll get it, just wanted to know if I should wait till I can get staff discount on the G5 or get the G4 with my Dixons staff discount now! Uni is coming...

does anone know if a Powerbook G5 was announced, I've got e second interview with Apple for the new store opening on regent street and fingers crossed I'll get it, just wanted to know if I should wait till I can get staff discount on the G5 or get the G4 with my Dixons staff discount now! Uni is coming...

Trust me, if it was, you would *definitely* know.

I can't believe some of you guys. Apple ripped off probably one of the most envied pieces of software available for OS X in most eyecandy circles, and you all applaud them for it? Way to support your independant software developers.

no actually Hypercard was around long before Konfabulator was, plus Konfabulator was never patented so it's quite hard to rip it off.

An RSS reader in a webbrower is pretty common these days.

What is Launchbar?

I'll give your Konfabulator but even that is copying from Desk Accessories, At Ease and DesktopX (from stardock).

Meaning what? So Apple is meant to hold back on implementing metadata searching just because LaunchBar exists? Come off it.

Tell ya what, you take the same attitude when MS kills off AppRocket with WinFS, and you get not to be called a raging hypocrite. Deal?

Not that I have money for any of this, but I'm just thinking:

1x30" LCD needs 2 DVI connectors, 1xGF6800U = 2 DVI, so if you want to dual monitor you need 2xGF6800U, banded with SLI or some similar thing?

Is GF6800U in G5 PMacs PCI-Express or AGP8, 'couse I thought only PCI-E cards get SLI bridge, when NVidia releases nForce4 with 2xPCI-E 20x. BTW what exactly does it need 2 DVI's for? The power doesn't come through them, I thought, so what's so huge that can't fit through 1 DVI?

Well that's subjective, wasn't really his point though :)

True, but most people here agree.

I used to love LB, but as soon as somebody mentioned QS I noticed how much better it is.

Not that I have money for any of this, but I'm just thinking:

1x30" LCD needs 2 DVI connectors, 1xGF6800U = 2 DVI, so if you want to dual monitor you need 2xGF6800U, banded with SLI or some similar thing?

The 30" Display uses one Dual-Link DVI Connector. The Card has two Dual-Link DVI Ports. That means you could use two 30" Displays AFAIK.

A Single-Link DVI Port can only go up to 1920x1080, Dual-Link can do more.

I hope mac takes over microsoft :D

I hope not. As a matter of fact, I like how Apple has a smaller market share. Keeps us safe and clean.

An RSS reader in a webbrower is pretty common these days.

What is Launchbar?

I'll give your Konfabulator but even that is copying from Desk Accessories, At Ease and DesktopX (from stardock).

Launchbar is just another launching app like Quicksilver, BUT it is the one that resembles the new feature in Tiger.

Dashboard is a complete ripoff.

If you want to see another rip, press cmd+tab on your Panther box. Then head over here. Look familiar?

This also happened with Watson and Sherlock 2. Apple is no stranger to ripping off its third party developers. If I was a developer, I would be ****ed, but I would also feel somewhat proud that my idea was good enough to even get stolen by Apple.

I hope not. As a matter of fact, I like how Apple has a smaller market share. Keeps us safe and clean.

Couldn't agree more. Oh yeah, just went to the Apple website and saw the new 30-inch (yeah I know, I'm late). Damn! That new monitor looks nice! But to require an Nvidia 6800 Ultra just to use it? :whistle: Anyway, I like how they changed the look so it fits nicely with the G5.

Sorry if this has been posted before, but did anyway record the keynote? or know where we can get it?

I have a couple of links i got off appleinsider of where it's supposed to be being put on the apple website, but it's not there atm.

Dashboard is quite a ripoff but i hope Apple can work with the Konfabulator ppl and make it even better

LOL i noticed the number on the calculator in the dashboard demo too

And Core Image only works on DX9 cards ( yes i know i am using a MS term on a opengl OS)

Supported graphics cards:

* ATI Radeon 9800 XT

* ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

* ATI Radeon 9700 Pro

* ATI Radeon 9600 XT

* ATI Radeon 9600 Pro

* ATI Mobility Radeon 9700

* ATI Mobility Radeon 9600

* NVIDIA GeForceFX Go 5200

* NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 Ultra

And BTW I HATE another new UI style

Automator looks useful

Smart folders is a very good idea

And this is nice :

The upgraded kernel, based on FreeBSD 5.x, provides optimized resource locking for better scalability across multiple processors, support for 64-bit memory pointers through the System library and standards-based access control lists. The system enhances network services via a next-generation launch daemon and centralized application logging. Tiger also features command-line access to Spotlight for searching application metadata and enables many common UNIX utilities to handle HFS+ resource forks.

Apple got the metadata search engine to work first in the OS. Hehe MS take that :p