Official WWDC 2004 discussion

From what I can tell, it looks like apple is introducing even more GUI inconsistencies into the OS. We already have half of the operating system in Aqua and the other half in brushed metal, and now it looks like there is a new style that is a mix between the two.

Look at the window on this page. Also check out the new System Preferences Window. It looks like Aqua pasted onto a brushed metal window. I really hope they get some of these things figured out before the release. They still have six or more months to fix everything.

On another note, I actually like the way the new menubar looks.

From what I can tell, it looks like apple is introducing even more GUI inconsistencies into the OS. We already have half of the operating system in Aqua and the other half in brushed metal, and now it looks like there is a new style that is a mix between the two.

Look at the window on this page. Also check out the new System Preferences Window. It looks like Aqua pasted onto a brushed metal window. I really hope they get some of these things figured out before the release. They still have six or more months to fix everything.

On another note, I actually like the way the new menubar looks.

Actually, I think it's a really good compromise for those people bitching about the metal look. It's aqua-fied metal, and it fits a WHOLE lot better IMHO.

Actually, I think it's a really good compromise for those people bitching about the metal look. It's aqua-fied metal, and it fits a WHOLE lot better IMHO.

I wasn't actually saying that I didn't like the new style, just that three different window styles is too much. They need to pick one and stick with it. I really like the new direction that they are taking the GUI, they just need to clean up all the old bits that clash with the new stuff.

(I would also like to say that I am one of the bitchers. I HATE the brushed metal.)

Guys, instead of b*tching about the problems that Tiger will probably have, why not wait for the Preview release to move about and see what others have to say (or try it out yourselves) before slamming it.

I don't think Objective Development can complain about Spotlight, because Spotlight is just a natural hand-in-hand complement to the metadata search engine - you almost wouldn't bother having the metadata engine if you couldn't have Spotlight to put it to use.

As for Konfabulator.. yeah, that's a bit of a shame. It must be hard enough convincing smaller developers to write for OS X without killing some of them off each year. Dashboard doesn't look very impressive to me anyway, it really needs a lot of cleaning up by 2005 for it to be really compelling.

Metadata: Awesome :) Automator looks wicked!

UI inconsistencies: Gah, I'm SICK of UI inconsistencies. Everything from having more than one window style, to inconsistencies with the traffic widgets (hovering over them _sometimes_ highlights them, _sometimes_ it doesn't do anything.. harmless but irritating). Throwing another window style into the loop is a mistake unless they apply it across the board.

And WTF is with the glossy blue highlights on the two ends of the menu bar? Ugh!

Overall though, pretty cool.. and they have six months or more to tidy up the rough edges :)

i love all of it. as is to be expected :p

i don't wanna read 12 pages of wwdc discussion, so i'll just ask... is tiger gonna be free?

I VERY much doubt it, but it hasn't been mentioned, either way.

i love all of it. as is to be expected :p

i don't wanna read 12 pages of wwdc discussion, so i'll just ask... is tiger gonna be free?

I don't think it will be free :cry: just like panther.

And WTF is with the glossy blue highlights on the two ends of the menu bar? Ugh!

I kinda like them... Altho the left one (where the Apple Logo is) kinda worries me. I am just waiting for Redmoanians ( :laugh: ) to suggest Apple copied the 'Start' Menu! :laugh: :unsure:

I kinda like them... Altho the left one (where the Apple Logo is) kinda worries me. I am just waiting for Redmoanians ( :laugh: ) to suggest Apple copied the 'Start' Menu! :laugh: :unsure:

it looks good.

oh and they copied "system tray" on the left too :p

I Knew it!

I just knew they would try and get ahead of Microsoft's WinFS storage and search technologies. There it is in "Spotlight".

Although it was a no-brainer that they would do this ahead of Microsoft, what know will happen is Steve Jobs is gonna' get a kick out of how Microsoft is "copying" them, "again". Although they are the first on the operating system field to include rich searching at the operating system level (Aplauding), I doubt they thought it up first. They saw Microsoft coming (and to a lesser extent Google), UH OH, and set to work immediatly on their own soultion.

I just knew it

I Knew it!

I just knew they would try and get ahead of Microsoft's WinFS storage and search technologies. There it is in "Spotlight".

Although it was a no-brainer that they would do this ahead of Microsoft, what know will happen is Steve Jobs is gonna' get a kick out of how Microsoft is "copying" them, "again". Although they are the first on the operating system field to include rich searching at the operating system level (Aplauding), I doubt they thought it up first. They saw Microsoft coming (and to a lesser extent Google), UH OH, and set to work immediatly on their own soultion.

I just knew it

Woop-dee-doo. I'm glad you just knew it.