Official WWDC 2004 discussion

I Knew it!

I just knew they would try and get ahead of Microsoft's WinFS storage and search technologies. There it is in "Spotlight".

Although it was a no-brainer that they would do this ahead of Microsoft, what know will happen is Steve Jobs is gonna' get a kick out of how Microsoft is "copying" them, "again". Although they are the first on the operating system field to include rich searching at the operating system level (Aplauding), I doubt they thought it up first. They saw Microsoft coming (and to a lesser extent Google), UH OH, and set to work immediatly on their own soultion.

I just knew it

With new "iTunes-like" search capabilities, I'll probably never have to double click on the "Macintosh HD" icon again, hell, it even beats the Start Menu! I hope the performance is good though, the current search within the finder itself is very laggy.

I Knew it!

I just knew they would try and get ahead of Microsoft's WinFS storage and search technologies. There it is in "Spotlight".

Umm, don't refer to it as WinFS as though Microsoft came up with the idea of metadata. The concept has existed for ages.

What we do know is that it didn't take Apple five years to implement it.

Microsoft was the first to try and introduce it in the 90's with the Object File System (OFS) and failed. Now with WinFS they are trying again but Apple has succeded on their first try (unless they've tried before but kept it secret).

Elegantly designed Dashboard accessories animate in cool and interesting ways using the new Core Image technology built into Tiger. To change the color or font for a sticky note, flip the note around ? all Widgets controls are on the back to keep them out of sight until you need them. Configuring your Widgets is fun, too.

Complex transitions, movement and visual effects are just a few of the amazing visual feats that make Widgets as great looking as they are usefulDevelopers can build their own Widgets using the JavaScript language to take advantage of Core Image capabilities.b>

Wasn't Konfabulator java-based as well?

BTW I wasn't insinuating that Apple wasn't copying, or at least preempting MS. They were, but that's what competition is meant to be about. If you know a competitor is coming out with a certain killer feature, of course you're going to try and do it first and do it better. Metadata searching is going to become a standard feature of all major OSes anyway, so it doesn't really matter who got there first.. it matters who does it better.

Good point, but Apple is smearing it in everyboy's face.

*Just got this off a web site quoting some Apple poster at the WWDC: "Redmond, start your photocopiers" and "Introducing Longhorn".*

Metadata searching is going to become a standard feature of all major OSes anyway, so it doesn't really matter who got there first.. it matters who does it better.

Well said. :happy:

pbook g5 yes, pbook g5 no, pbook g5 yes, pbook g5 no........

I think that new display is ugly, but it goes with the powermac g5 tower.

Good point, but Apple is smearing it in everyboy's face.

*Just got this off a web site quoting some Apple poster at the WWDC: "Redmond, start your photocopiers" and "Introducing Longhorn".*

I believe Apple has been promising better Journaling and Searching mechanisms for quite some time. Whether they were copying Microsoft in terms of WinFS is debateable, I think Apple had this on their agenda for quite some time.

so why is everyone hatin on dasbhoard? i mean yea it's a ripoff of konfab and if that's why it's understandable, but it seems a lot of people just don't think it would be useful or good to have

so why is everyone hatin on dasbhoard? i mean yea it's a ripoff of konfab and if that's why it's understandable, but it seems a lot of people just don't think it would be useful or good to have

I could sure use that 1337 calculator lol,

I think Dashboard is awesome. Sure it looks a lot like Konfabulator, but it's awesome that it's going to be a part of OSX.