Tiger Or Longhorn

Which Will Be The Biggest Hit  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Which Will Be The Biggest Hit

• Tiger
    • Longhorn

Very true. But the Mac OS already went through that transition. At the same time Windows XP was out, we had our true modern day OS, in Mac OS X.

Mac OS 9 --> Mac OS X, was what XP --> Longhorn will be...

lol. true os. haha. apple didnt even make its unix base, on hte other hand, the NT kernel is 100% homegrown. true OS my ass.....

oh, and longhorn obviously. there is absolutely no comparison.

I have to admit that Longhorn did look good at what i saw of it, but with Mac growing all the time and with the power of the Pc's they are producing then we will give MS a run for its money.

I don't see the point of this thread. By the time Longhorn is released, Apple will probably have yet another Operating System upgrade in the works. Perhaps when that update is announced, you should make the comparison.

Moreover, I also don't see the point in comparing Longhorn or Tiger, both are still in the development process (especially Longhorn) and the victor could be either Operating Systems in the end. Making a poll about this right now is premature and foolhardy.

Finally, what was the purpose of constructing this poll? Was it an attempt to gather research in order to ascertain the probability of which Operating System will "win" when they are both released? Any educated person could figure out that drawing a statistical claim from the evidence concocted in this thread is inconclusive in the end.

and why not potatoes or tomatoes :/

one for mac the one is pc

so i say tiger is better if you own a mac and longhorn is better if you own a pc :blink:

No this is not foolhardy or premature, I wanted to see what people thought of both OS of what they have seen so far, we have seen so much and I wanted to know the opinions of members here not to start an argument or have people slagging off the poll, based on what we have seen from both of them i wanted to see who would which and why.Most of the answers have been constructive and mature but we always get the odd one having a go at people like myself who want to know this info.

Now that I've seen it, I would have to say Tiger. Longhorn hasn't made much progress in its time. It's projected to be really amazing, but I have yet to see anything cool come out of it. I can only really judge both when I see both as finals though.

Agreed. Microsoft hasn't shown us enough for us to really see what Longhorn will really be in the end. I do feel that my opinion will change as 2006 gets closer, but until then, my eyes are on the Tiger! :laugh:

This is a comparison between entire platforms (Mac vs x86), so it really isn't very valid.

What will be a hit on the Macintosh? Tiger, of course. And who knows, maybe by the time Longhorn goes gold and ships to the stores, Apple will be working on a new OS.

As for the PC side of things, it depends. People like what they have now and don't neccesarily like having to upgrade their machines to run a new OS (hardware upgrades + licenses = a lot of money for the average joe). Why do you think so many people still run the aging Windows 98?

well most people have tried the beta and alpha versions so i am asking what they think will be the best, if you have not tried any of them as yet then dont post or vote its as simple as that.

most people? i'm gonna have to say i doubt that.

since i don't care enough to go look at longhorn's feature list, and apple hasn't shown us everything new in tiger yet, i'll say tiger due to the new stuff (core image (Y)), but i may change later. 10.5 will likely be longhorn's true opponent, and then will be the proper time to ask this question.

lol. true os. haha. apple didnt even make its unix base, on hte other hand, the NT kernel is 100% homegrown. true OS my ass.....

Learn to read, did I say 'True OS' or 'True Modern OS' ? :rolleyes: Don't go trying to taint this thread buddy...

Who gives a crap if you're using Proprietary stuff, instead of technology, which is renown across the industry, and matured. How does using NT over UNIX base make Windows better? :laugh: Opinions are great, but they remain just that, without some facts... So enlighten me, please, or otherwise, stop living up to your avatar...

Yeah thats when you say about how many peole are running win95, thats amazing really.If MS were to drop their prices then they will have there hand on all the market but I would pay for the upgrade on the mac.

when LH is out Apple will be ready to release their next OS (the one after Tiger.

Can't really ask which will be a bigger hit...the company with the 95% (or somethign like that) market share will be the biggest hit...even if Tiger is better.

longhorn will ship long before 10.5 my friend. according to recent reports, 10.5 should ship in the early part of 2007, if not later. longhorn is still slated for late 2005, early 2006.

Edit: to neyo, apple uses the strenght and power and blablabla of unix as one of its selling pionts and they didnt even make it. and what about my avatar?

yes but we know MS are morrons when it comes to release dates, look at how many times they have put longhorn back.

longhorn will ship long before 10.5 my friend. according to recent reports, 10.5 should ship in the early part of 2007, if not later. longhorn is still slated for late 2005, early 2006.

Edit: to neyo, apple uses the strenght and power and blablabla of unix as one of its selling pionts and they didnt even make it. and what about my avatar?

Well having a UNIX base is a strength... Apple never said they made it. Apple never said they made the G5, but they argued they had the fastest 64bit desktop computer. What's your point? None. Oh ok! :)

This topic is what is expected to be better in the future...

Longhorn will be because there are many more people using a PC and not a MAC.

unfortunately,yes,but not for long ;)

yes but we know MS are morrons when it comes to release dates, look at how many times they have put longhorn back.

So the fact that they wish to spend more time developing an operating system, which the entire company's future is probably dependent on, makes them moronic?

No this is not foolhardy or premature, I wanted to see what people thought of both OS of what they have seen so far, we have seen so much

On the contrary, although we have had a look at some of the primary features advertized in Tiger, the primary features of Longhorn have yet to be tested by consumers. In fact, I have not even witnessed the WinFS or Avalon modules that are supposed to be a part of Longhorn. Moreover, Steve Jobs stated that Tiger would contain over 150 new features, can you count more than 75 new features that you've witnessed in the current build of Tiger? I think not.

First of all, I don't think you can compare Longhorn with Tiger. Longhorn will run on PC and Tiger will run on Mac. Or in my interpretation of this thread: Mac or PC. This always causes flame war.

As for now, Microsoft is writing a Mac OS X, meaning that Microsoft is building Longhorn like how Apple was building OS X before. For the first time, they include (probably) WinFS, a new search tech, new interface (not for the 1st time though) and 3D tech. However, I don't think the first version of Longhorn will be how impressing - like how 10.0 was. But for sure, after few update versions (if Microsoft can now get away from just patching security holes and actually include new features into their OS), Longhorn will be more solid and stable.

As for those trolls, please stop. If this kind of discussion always brings trolls or fanboys fighting/defending for their companies/OS, it's not worth to post on Neowin anymore!

Not 100% =)

NT is based on OS/2, which was co-developed by Microsoft and IBM.

your argument is flawed. i have a ibook g3 and i will need to "rush and buy a new computer to run it" because i dont have a dvd drive

It's not that difficult to add a DVD drive or combo drive to an iBook. Look around on eBay and you will find one for a decent price (I've seen combo drives that will work for well under $100, some even under $70).

nuka_t: this is not personal but hey, if you can't see things from different sides, please leave.

You don't like Apple at the very beginning. If you can't see things from different points of views, there's no point for you to participate in this discussion. Note what I mentioned in my post in page 3 of this thread! Longhorn will be big. However, it will not the totally stable yet in its first version. The developer crews in Microsoft are only human, so are those in Apple. They make mistakes and need maybe two or three updates to recover their mistakes and make the entire OS better and more usable.

If you still think that Apple just uses the entire unix base without changing it a bit, time to go back to university - or maybe they don't teach that in your university since some prof. dislike Apple and think OS X is toy just as pathetically much as you do.

_tux_: Do you know this is not final version? How do you know they aren't supporting CD install in final? In fact, they include both CD and DVD in iLife '04. Plus, do you want Apple to stop and wait for you to get a new computer?

So far I am more impressed by Tiger. Although I may be biased being a Mac user but so far I like the features better. To me Longhorn looks like XP but with a different GUI. Instead of creating an OS with lots of nice features it seems like MS is trying to out do Apple in the eye candy department.

By the time Longhorn ships we'll probably at least have a look at the beta to 10.5.

Obviously you haven't been keeping tabs on the alpha builds. In the latest (4074), Longhorn already has working implementations of WinFS (Spotlight), the Sidebar ("Konfabulator" aka Dashboard), Aero (Code Image/QE), and the new Command Shell V2.0 (like Automator... sort of anyways, but it's not part of Longhorn itself).

As for those who are saying that that Apple will have 10.5 or 10.6 out when Longhorn ships, I'm guesing you missed all the news about Apple stopping their 1/year developement cycle.

Obviously you haven't been keeping tabs on the alpha builds. In the latest (4074), Longhorn already has working implementations of WinFS (Spotlight), the Sidebar ("Konfabulator" aka Dashboard), Aero (Code Image/QE), and the new Command Shell V2.0 (like Automator... sort of anyways, but it's not part of Longhorn itself).

As for those who are saying that that Apple will have 10.5 or 10.6 out when Longhorn ships, I'm guesing you missed all the news about Apple stopping their 1/year developement cycle.

And how do you know Longhorn will definitely be shipped by 2006? And don't get me wrong. I have both Tiger and Longhorn installed. And seriously, man, you can't compare those tech to the other. They are _different_! I'm not saying which is better, but they _are_ different!