Tiger Or Longhorn

Which Will Be The Biggest Hit  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Which Will Be The Biggest Hit

• Tiger
    • Longhorn

those were false, and if any features were dropped, they shouldnt have been in longhorn in the first place.

I do remember hearing that they were scaling back the WinFS to only searching locally, not across the network, but I can't remember for sure if that was for client or server.

edit: And by the way, were you trying to imply that Microsoft wouldn't drop features in order to make a shipping date? They've done it before, why not with this?

null vote:

If operating systems continue to develop at their current rate I think linux will be way better than either than either of these.

Consider this,when windows 95 came out what was apple doing, and how about linux(umm... I think X ran)?

5 years later windows 2000 exists and around this time os X comes out, but do any of you remember what using linux was like(think kde 2, kde 3 beta, gnome 2 beta)?

~5 more years and longhorn is to be released, as well as tiger, where will linux be?

Thank you for pointing us to Paul Thurrot, the most unbiased computer user. :rolleyes:

I was about to say that. All the articles were from Paul. :laugh:

Source: Jeremy Mazner, Longhorn Technical Evangelist

Topic: What? They cut WinFS??

The line that got everyone thinking was Jay?s comment that.? ?The current plan calls for the file system to work on PCs but not extend to files shared over a corporate network.?? Note that although he writes this immediately following a quote from an internal mail, this sentence is not in fact a direct quote ? it?s Jay?s interpretation.? MaryJo Foley picked up the thread, and added her own interpretation that Microsoft is ?holding off on allowing WinFS to work over a corporate network?.

From what I read the 'dropped' feature was extensive WinFS support to work over many networked drives. Interesting read, don't know if it was posted.

I also think Tiger was a rushed beta to incorporate a better search feature to compete with Longhorn's WinFS and try and pull some PR stunt claiming Microsoft is just copying them again, as the banners suggest (imo anyways). Longhorn is really innovate, much more than any previous Windows release, I personally love the 3D UI system and can't wait until it's further along.

EDIT: After reading some threads I've decided to point this out.

1.) For those who say they haven't seen anything impressive from Longhorn yet. You obviously haven't even bothLink:

Link: Longhorn Concept Videos[VERYese are VERY impressive in my book, especially considering it's an alpha.

2.) Those saying Tiger is going to crush Longhorn. Isn't Tiger's only new feature atm a crappy beta search system? One that infact tries to copy Longhorn's?

I would like to bring to light the WinFX system.

1.) Indigo

2.) Avalon

3.) WinFS

* These 3 new features may not seem like a large lot of new items, they are infact very large portion of Longhorn and offer a great new User Experience, much more so than some knock off Longhorn search that isn't even finished.

Edited by DrThodt

I dont think that the spotlight was rushed at all, it is the only new feature in tiger that works perfectly. Dashboard is pretty stable to, but a lot of the new features still need a lot of work.

Agreed with PureEdit -- spotlight is n't rushed at all, DrThodt -- Longhorn is impressive (not very though), and csabo2 -- This thread is a waste of space in the Neowin DB... totally!

2.) Those saying Tiger is going to crush Longhorn. Isn't Tiger's only new feature atm a crappy beta search system? One that infact tries to copy Longhorn's?

I would like to bring to light the WinFX system.

1.) Indigo

2.) Avalon

3.) WinFS

* These 3 new features may not seem like a large lot of new items, they are infact very large portion of Longhorn and offer a great new User Experience, much more so than some knock off Longhorn search that isn't even finished.

Searchlight is reportedly based on a similar feature in BeOS (the original developer of which now works for Apple). It has obviously been in the works for a while, since it was already present in iTunes, among other places in the OS. Searchlight simply extends this to the entire Finder and other programs.

As for Longhorn's 3D subsystem, it is the one playing catch-up. Ever heard of Quartz Extreme?

As for Longhorn's 3D subsystem, it is the one playing catch-up.  Ever heard of Quartz Extreme?

Yeah, and now with Core Image and Core Video, they really have a lot of work to do.

Tiger has a lot of new things besides spotlight, this is just the one that is the most complete in the beta. They will probably still add more features, they promised 150 new ones.

Coming from a neutral standpoint, WinFX at the moment is still projected to be more advanced then Quartz Extreme and Core Image/Video. But you've gotta remember that Tiger will be out in the beginning of 2005, they'll be showing OS X 10.5 before Longhorn is even remotely near PC Worlds shelves.

dazzla, its avalon not winfx, but ya it is better than apples versions.

and that dosent matter for me, once the RC's start pumping out in 2005, i will use longhorn as my main OS(unless of course i get too addicted to linux :wub: )

Apples new ad's just upset me, they're total bs and targetted at (atleast imo) noobies trying to say Microsoft is copying them once again, when infact it's the other way around this time.

see thats what impresses me about OSX, they always deliver.

so, im not suprised if its better...microsoft needs to get their heads together again...they have been losing stamina i think (imo)

dazzla, its avalon not winfx, but ya it is better than apples versions.

and that dosent matter for me, once the RC's start pumping out in 2005, i will use longhorn as my main OS(unless of course i get too addicted to linux :wub: )

Well yeah, I was just getting at the 3 core elements as a whole are still in advance of what Tiger will have to offer from what Apple have showed of it so far. But they've got another release (or at least a preview of another release) before Longhorn hits shelves.

i think core image and core video is something thast gonna really revolutionize software thats comming to OSX after Tiger, because that kind of a powerful API adds for some amazing things.

see thats what impresses me about OSX, they always deliver.

so, im not suprised if its better...microsoft needs to get their heads together again...they have been losing stamina i think (imo)

well, if you look at the history of mac os x, then u would find, that apple was to ship os x in 99/00. theyt didn't. it was delayed 1 1/2 years. and the first version wasn't v. good. Apple had to go though 4 versions of os x to make the technology nearly as advanced as lh. Microsoft is trying to do this in one go. yes, apple was the first to do it. and thats not nearly as important as to who does the best.

for now, i am sitting on the fence.

and also, i really don't think lh would ship in 2006. is there even a beta going out this year?