does your school use mac?

does your school use mac?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. does your school use mac?

• yes
    • no
    • wtf is mac

Nope, we don't have any macs in school except a few students with an iBook.

Are school is farily newly built though (Sept. 2002) and we have all new IBM PC's, running XP Professional and a P4 2.X (i think its just 2.0, not sure tho).

All Machines have 256mb ram (Not sure of type, i.e. sd/drr), and on ur network account u get 5GB of space (Not bad, concidering its a school of 3500 students :pinch:

Aside from that, we have a laptop program that you can ether buy (2,500$) an IBM Laptop for your keeping or rent for 300$/year.

The school's application server on the network is loaded with up to date, quality stuff, I love it!

The laptop is used for class, and is connected via an 802.11(?) wireless network broadcasted all aroud the schoo building, and in the back fields at certian times. (Lunch basicially) - With them you can take notes on ur laptop insted of paper, do all ur assignments onthe laptop insted of handouts (you can get a "eHandout" if you will on the class assignments vitural buliten board on the school network)

The laptops are an IBM Thinkpad (Not sure of model number)

With XP Professional

CD-RW Burner / DVD Rom drive

40 GB HD

Built In Wireless NI antenna

ATI Radion 7200 32MB Video Card (Im pretty sure, its a 7XXX tho with 32MB :p)

and 256MB Ram.

sadly tho, no floppies in this one LOL

You're proabally saying WTF That much for that laptop? well aside from it being in Canadian Currency, the software is also priced.

- Microsoft Office 2003

- Macromedia Studio MX 2002

- TLE (Math Application)

and other things like Encarta and whatnot.

Overall we have a pretty good supply of quality technology here!

(This is a High School to b.t.w :) -- Grades 9 to 12)

Unfortunately... some of the high schools in my area do and everyone hates them. They aren't functional for the teachers and the students don't get a taste of what the real world uses... plus the homework they do on them is a good as garbage because they can't take it between school and home and work on it.... mainly because none of them have macs... yeah, so its a bum deal for everyone.

My high school had a mix of Windows XP and various Macs running Panther :D

UMCP (my soon to be college) has a mix of everything!

until about 98 all the public schools around here used L2s and power macs or whatever they were called. i remember seeing my first computer at school which was a mac. it was so cool looking when i was a kid.

my high school used macs... though even after osx, our school system decided to remain with the crippled os9. and when apple allowed teachers to get jaguar for free, one of the tech advisors spread fud around about how osx wouldn't work with os9 and blah blah blah... email wouldn't work...

99% windoze

but the video and film department has about 12 800mhz g4's with OSX with imovie and final cut pro on them.

I take video and film :D

My high school got ride of their macs back in 95 and got a bunch of gateway computers. The sad thing is that those gateway computers with 75mhz processors are still there.

my highschool had macs for our chem labs (da head of chem dep. was a mac freak..we had the old iMacs)

no my university..has both..new g4s and Pc ofcourse...

Almost exclusively Mac besides two PCs used as testing platforms for a few things. We have Xserve G4s for our servers, iBooks G3s for all the students, 15" AlBooks for the Tech and Principal/Assistant Principals, and iMac G4s/eMacs in the labs and library.

Unfortunately my School doesn't have Macs. Not like I would use them anyway, I bring my PowerBook to School everyday. There is also a friend of mine who has an iBook, but that's about it.

The School's computers are running Windows 2000/XP/98, but I can't stand them. They have some retarded way of blocking a lot of things and they probably keep logs and whatnot. When I have to use them for some reason I just pop in the Knoppix CD I always carry around with me, open a tunnel to my VPN at home and get to work. Virtually nothing can be traced. :p

I'd really like my School to buy some Macs but the so-called "System Administrator" is ignorant and keeps buying these crappy, overpriced PC's from an obscure provider.

My elementary school had some macs although they were pretty old like the one in this picture...At my high school now, we're still on Windows 98 with Novell Netware for 95/98 & Usernet :x

mad-macs-1.jpg