Firefox Or IE?

Firefox Or IE?  

361 members have voted

1. 1. Firefox Or IE?

• Internet Explorer
    • Firefox

If you're serious about security than you should not use IE. To give you an idea how vulnerable IE is (tested only on WIN2K) right click on your desktop: new: folder. Rename the folder to "NOTEPAD" (without the quotes). Open up IE and visit a website like google and with your mouse click on view: source.

I used Firefox for some weeks now, it looks cool and some functions are handy (like tabbed browsing), but the display of most of the websites I visited totally s***ed, so I just switched back to IE.

I hope firefox (or either IE) will kinda 'recode' so that the majority (although it could be poorly written to be correctly displayed in IE) of the websites will be displayed as it should be. RIGHT!!

PS I kinda switched to FF for the security issues, but I think I'd rather be 'unsafe' (despite the fact that I have all WU and firewall) than to look at not-so-properly-displayed sites. ;)

Opera has all the features of Firefox and is secure, moreover Opera renders pages somewhat like IE. I also found Opera to be a compact, efficient and a fast browser. Once you get started on Opera there is no going back. Opera has the ability to hide images on pages with just a mouse click which no other browser has. It has toolbars that searches Google, eBay, Amazon, PriceComparision, Download.com and others.

It supports a different profiles for different people logged onto the computer. I mean look no further. However in all fairness FireFox has come a long way and it will be worth the wait to see a free browser that is secure and fast. :happy:

If you're serious about security than you should not use IE. To give you an idea how vulnerable IE is (tested only on WIN2K) right click on your desktop: new: folder. Rename the folder to "NOTEPAD" (without the quotes). Open up IE and visit a website like google and with your mouse click on view: source.

I just tried this and dont see anything wrong! :huh:

Used Internet Explorer 5.2.3 for Mac.

Opera has all the features of Firefox and is secure, moreover Opera renders pages somewhat like IE. I also found Opera to be a compact, efficient and a fast browser. Once you get started on Opera there is no going back. Opera has the ability to hide images on pages with just a mouse click which no other browser has. It has toolbars that searches Google, eBay, Amazon, PriceComparision, Download.com and others.

It supports a different profiles for different people logged onto the computer. I mean look no further. However in all fairness FireFox has come a long way and it will be worth the wait to see a free browser that is secure and fast. :happy:

Get the AdBlock extension for Firefox, and you can block images with one two clicks (one right, one left). Also you can make your own search terms so that you type in ie. dict <word to look up>, and it'll get you the dictionary.com definition. You can do that with any website like download.com, eBay, anything.

And as far as I know, Firefox also can do profiles. It talks about profiles when you install a new plug-in, but I haven't had time to read into that.

Edit -- And that notepad bug is hilarious ^_^

anyone remember Internet Explorer before it was Microsoft????

IE before microsoft? i've used IE since 2.0 with windows 95.... it has always been microsoft. now if you're talking about mosaic, that's a different story.

I just switched to Firefox from IE and man what a difference. Pages load alot quicker, especially images and its so stable. Switching to Firefox is like switching from 56k to hi speed, you'll never go back :D

DIE IE DIE :devil:

I could never get Firefox to work with windows media player or sites that has wmv content, like yahoo launch. Anyone with solution, please post. Until then, I'm sticking with Avant/IE browser. Other than that, firefox is cool.

he should have at least a few thousand posts then... 40..eh? :shifty:

If the user that said that's username is "Kaptain Chumps gf" I think the "gf" would stand for "girlfriend" so it's a she.

I've never heard you say what browser you use StainD... so which is it? eh ;)

Firefox is ok. Quite a few of the users here on Neowin have issues with it, especially the latest build, but still is the 'best'. Go figure that one out.

When Firefox can empty the cache on Exit, then i may like the thing. Also, more options in the actual options list be great. I Cannot and Will not recommend this browser to any person whom is not computer literate, as to configure for alot of things, you have to change the user.js file or add to it. This is not good enough for new computer iliterate users.

Opera has my vote. Even though its not listed.

Edited by Davey

I log in to work remotely to check email via Outlook through IE. It works fine. Through Opera or Firefox and it just plain sucks. Same goes for accessing Microsoft's beta sites and passport. Until they fix that, I'm sticking to IE

It can see the source of that new folder in windows xp pro sp2 build 2149 too.

what is that mean?

this maybe help you some...donno why you'd want it to clear cache on exit but this will make sure no pages are shown in the location bar

http://tln.lib.mi.us/~amutch/pro/phoenix/location.htm

Reason why, dont need to justify it. :p Kidding

Opera can do it, IE can do it.

I just like to start on a clean slate every time i use it. I dont want to load my comp on boot and find 500mb(i know the size can be customized) but instead find a empty cache folder.

Also, is excellent for covering tracks whilst at work. I can set IE and Opera to auto delete any Temporary Internet files from IE and Opera's cache upon closing the program.

Edited by Davey

Not clearing when you close firefox but it makes if so it doesn't cache at all.

Type about:config in address bar

search for "browser.cache.disk.enable" set to false

search for "browser.cache.disk_cache_ssl" set to false

and I think that should do it

It can see the source of that new folder in windows xp pro sp2 build 2149 too.

what is that mean?

think about it for a while lol.

I like Firefox.. it's faster, has great popup blocking, Adblock extention rocks, tabs.. just... better. Not that I don't like IE, I think Internet Explorer is great too..

id say stay with ie, the recent influx of newbies to firefox is going to make virus makers and whatnot begin to work on exploits in firefox. but then again ive been using mozilla for about 2 years now.

the recent influx of newbies to firefox is going to make virus makers and whatnot begin to work on exploits in firefox.

they can go ahead and try