FireFox Vs Internet Explorer

Is Firefox Better than IE?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Is Firefox Better than IE?

• Internet Explorer
    • Firefox

I pity your ignorance :rolleyes:

and I your mis-direction...

anyway, I didn't get to finish typing out my post when the new Web Browser sub-forum got created... so here's my rantings updated.

i voted for IE. I've been there and done that with Firefox (or Firebird to be accurate) but didn't like it for tons of reasons... I'll name a few.

1. pathetic bookmark management. It doesn't even come close to what IE offers. I like my favorites in the order I like... not what Firefox dictates.

2. extremely slow startup time on first launch. I know I know, once I launch firefox, all new web pages will load as fast or faster than IE. But I don't like leaving browser windows open just for the sake of opening web pages faster. From a fresh boot, IE loads faster than Opera or Firefox.

3. irritating download manager. IE's is so clean and simple. And IE integrates FlashGet easily without a need for a special download extension...

4. lack of ActiveX support. Some of the sites I frequent need activeX to work.

5. tabbed browsing. For someone who has been using IE since 97, I'm so used to using Alt-Tab to change windows. And everytime I close a window I close it at the 'X' or right-click on the taskbar icon and close it from there. I know tabbed browsing is disabled by default in Firefox, but then (as a lot of FF shippers here say) why even use Firefox if not for the tabbed browsing.

6. extensions. Pathetic extension management. Can't uninstall extensions. can't see certain extension-plugins in the extension manager after installing them. Can't enable/disable any/all extensions without having to restart Firefox.

7. incompatibility with most pages coded for use with IE. Even if these IE-only pages aren't W3C compliant, blah, blah, blah, at least you can see them using IE. Firefox just shows me a single frame taking up the whole width of the page, with non-clickable buttons and non-scrolling scroll bars. Majority of web page designers still code their pages for IE, so until that changes...

I have no problems with security, pop-ups or ads as I have the necessary programs installed. I'd rather depend on dedicated security apps than on something which is integrated into another program.

IE Rules!

Started using FF at the 0.4 milestone and haven't looked back. Almost never use IE anymore. With the auto update feature enabled, I don't need to visit windowsupdate and with agent switcher installed with FF, I can view any site that requires IE.

IE has fallen behind in the terms of development. Competitors such as FF and Opera have figured out that they can get people away from IE by creating a product that doesn't have the flaws/exploits of IE, is W3C standard complaint, has tabbed browsing, handles css properly, and is fast. All of the things that IE is lacking.

I'm using IE, I tried FireFox, but I didn't like it.

As a webdeveleper, I like both browsers because of their html understanding. As you can see in my signature, I make pages for both (IE&FF), without using "MS JS", but personally, I HATE OPERA, because it's developers are too strict with HTML...

I think this two browsers will live together much time, but opera will "sink" in this battle, as netscape did.

^I agree with the slowness of Firefox, but overall, I have no problems with it. Either way, I still use MSN Explorer (which uses IE) and Firefox daily and I have nothing to complain about, though I use Firefox more often. I only tend to use MSN to check mail and browse a few sites. For everything else, there's Firefox.

Firefox is better then IE - the only reason being it's more secure, has a downloads manager, and themes :) but I'm not obsessed with it like some people, it really ****es me off when people's signatures say nothing but "get firefox" :rolleyes: it's not faster then IE though, I don't know how that idea came about...

I dont dislike IE, simply I want my pc to be better and use firefox, is that simple. I still use IE sometimes, but only for WU and some others sites and if ffx vanished I will be back using IE.

I would use Firefox over IE6 but would use Maxthon (avant/green browser) over both. It's some missing features in fox, and just the way IE loads a page that keep me using the 'IE engine.'

To each their own :beer: