The new 20gb iPod

It wont work. The 4G firmware is designed for the processor inside of them. (the cpu is different from the 3G)

But timdorr has got it to work on his mini even though the screen looks weird.

It wont work. The 4G firmware is designed for the processor inside of them. (the cpu is different from the 3G)

Really? Have you seen it personally or does he have some screenies?

they changed the cpu? odd.. i remember when the 3G came out reading there was no real reason the 3G firmware shouldn't work on 1 or 2G (though of course nothing ever came of that..) and do you have any details on how timdorr got it working? also perhaps the screen looks weird because its smaller therefore different resolution?

Do you have any documentation about the new CPU?

Oh man that is so sexy... Is that the white LED or the elusive blue LED?

Any chance on you making a sound recording of the physical sound the iPod makes when you click it? That might silence a lot of people's button clicking questions/doubts/etc - Myself included. :)

Hot hot hot... I can't wait to get one.

Awesome pics Toxikk!

Man, Apple really went down on the quality of packaging since 3G... everything just thrown into the box instead of there being a compartment.

And what's with that stuff they used instead of Styrofoam... I'm guessing it's recycled paper product, probably better for the environment, but it doesn't make a pretty presentation. :p

yeah the packaging was crap but the device is money.

i admit, the 3rd gen packaging was sweet. but, since they have two models and the prices are fair they can kinda get away with it. :/

Any chance on you making a sound recording of the physical sound the iPod makes when you click it? That might silence a lot of people's button clicking questions/doubts/etc - Myself included. :)

OMFG...

It's not even an issue, get over it.

OMFG...

It's not even an issue, get over it.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend. I guess i'm just a f**ktard.

I appologize for the stupid request. Ignore my ignorance. I retract my request.

yeah the packaging was crap but the device is money.

i admit, the 3rd gen packaging was sweet. but, since they have two models and the prices are fair they can kinda get away with it. :/

Did you have a 3G?

I played around with the 40 the other day, man that thing is a fatty. :D

Bought a 3G 20 GB about two weeks ago...then, to my surprise, they released the new 4G. So I returned my 3G to Best Buy in exchange for a 4G 40 GB for the same price. I wasn't crazy about the new look, but I had to get my money's worth and sacrificing looks for 4 hrs more battery and TWICE the space is definitely worth it.

The iPod is thicker that I thought it'd be, but it isn't a problem at all. Additionally, the click wheel isn't as bad as I had imagined. I do miss the touch buttons, but I'll live. I don't really mind clicking the four main buttons (Menu, <<, >> and Play), I just wish that the middle (select) button was a touch button. That would make this device perfect. However, I guess some people like to feel when they have selected something, so many may like this feature.

Like others have said, there aren't many new features, but if you are in the same situation as me and recently bought a 3G, it's worth making the exchange. That said, if Best Buy drops the price of the 3G 40 GB to below $399 in the next month, I will probably trade this one in for it.

Final note, there is not a firewire adapter included with this iPod...you can use USB 2 to charge it now, however. Very nice!

where did you get yours? i wanna make sure i get the blue backlight.

If I'm not mistaking... and if i am someone please correct me... the ones that are manufactured in China come with the blue light but as of yet I have not heard of any way to guarantee that you get one from China.

If I'm not mistaking... and if i am someone please correct me... the ones that are manufactured in China come with the blue light but as of yet I have not heard of any way to guarantee that you get one from China.

If you get to hold the box you can check the bottom of it for where it was made.

If you get to hold the box you can check the bottom of it for where it was made.

Score... Is it plain text where it was made or is it something you have to search for?

Also, I take it I was correct about the blue coming from China?

err, i mean shanghai.

beijin shanghai... its all over there. im a few beers deep.

it is nice and blue, and came in two days.

(Y) same here

Score... Is it plain text where it was made or is it something you have to search for?

Also, I take it I was correct about the blue coming from China?

It's in plain text, a little small next to some other info and the barcode. AFAIK China = bluish backlight but that was for the 3G, the 4G ones might all be the same.

err, i mean shanghai.

beijin shanghai... its all over there. im a few beers deep.

it is nice and blue, and came in two days.

i hope i fare the same ... i cant wait!

and is it me or does fedex's package tracking just suck? either that or my package has been in the same spot for 12 hours now ... AND THATS UNCALLED FOR! :angry:

I bought my 4g at an Apple Store here in the Chicago area and the backlight appears to be either a very, VERY light blue or white. The box says it was manufactured in China.

I bought my 4g at an Apple Store here in the Chicago area and the backlight appears to be either a very, VERY light blue or white. The box says it was manufactured in China.

The ones I looked at in the Apple store around here almost had a purple hue. Those crazy backlights. :laugh: