• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

The new 20gb iPod

jmc777    1
Any halp?

:)

If you don't have Firewire then you can only charge the 4G from either the mains or via USB 2.0.

dreamthief    0
As far as I know there's only a 1mm difference between the thickness of the 20GB 3G and the 4G iPod. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

You are partially correct if you are comparing 40GB version with the 3G Ipod. The 20GB G4 Ipod is much thinner. Most likely the larger hard disk capacity = thicker.

The size as described in apple.com

Ipod mini

3.6 by 2.0 by 0.5 inches

Ipod 20GB G4

4.1 by 2.4 by 0.57 inches

Ipod 40GB G4

4.1 by 2.4 by 0.69 inches

Ipod G3 was about/almost to 0.7 inches. So a few mm +/-

mrastudent    0
I 100% agree w/ you.

I will keep my G3 one and wait until Apple releases another ver. that comes w/ backlights on the buttons again. IMO this is a step backwards.

Do you look at the keyboard while you type, or the mouse buttons while you click? Why do you need the button icons to be lit when more likely than not you won't even b e looking at the iPod when using the buttons? I don't know about you, but remembering how to feel only FOUR buttons doesn't require litup icons for me.

Damn Xbox controller doesn't have lit up buttons ...

deepfriedmario    0

Keyboard keys and Xbox controls aren't the same as the iPod buttons. These pop up, so you don't need to look because we're pretty much use to just finding the bumps then press it. Unless the newest iPod buttons pops up from the device a tad then I find it hard to use the buttons without looking at it, especially at night when it's dark. But as it is a button now instead of touch, I think it would be easier than the third generation. I still have trouble at night trying to find the "pause" button with no backlight on as you're not real sure where it actually is. Well, that's me.

@jmc777: Yeah, the new iPod is about 1 millimeter down but I still think it's quite thin from the photographs I saw of them comparing the old iPods.

Argote    73
Do you look at the keyboard while you type, or the mouse buttons while you click? Why do you need the button icons to be lit when more likely than not you won't even b e looking at the iPod when using the buttons? I don't know about you, but remembering how to feel only FOUR buttons doesn't require litup icons for me.

Great post and it's true

Anyways, i've never liked the iPOD being white, it's kinda boring, you can get replacement faceplate/cover right??, brusehed stainless stell would be great, even if it adds a bit of weight/size

BTW am i the only one who didn't know iPOD's had backlights???, that was one of the big reasons holding me back from buying it (the other being cost, and the fact that my computer only has USB 1.1)

Will it work with USB 1.1, i mean the charge thing, also the Data transfer

PLZ answer my questions

P.S. does this new one finally appear as an external harddrive, or do you still have to use the Apple software???

Toxikk    0
IMO this is a step backwards.

indeed. :no:

Toxikk    0

it's not just that.

afaik, the wheel is "click" not scroll. i love the wheel on my 3g. i do not NEED lit buttons, but they are definitely a plus and were simply a great addition to the design.

without seeing one of these in person, it is hard to say. but i too will be waiting for another revision which will own this one. i am not too pleased with it.

that one "concept shot" with the blue lit buttons was HOT, and that is what i thought it was going to be like.

flow``    0

I like my 20g 3g more also..

the new ones look hard to use, while moving around the wheel it looks like you could easily press a button by mistake, especially while fast forwarding/rewinding through a track and accidentally hitting next/previous

Ginza    0
Bought one with the student discount -.-

Hopefully I made the right decision.

Hova.

I see that you ordered one of the new iPods with your student discount. How much did it come to? What was the difference in retail price? Did you save a lot?

I would love to know so i can decide whether to go ahead and buy a new 40GB iPod with the discount.

icdover    0

With my Student Discount the prices were... 269 and 369 for the respective models. I got the 40gig and payed for overnight shipping (but apple screwed up and dropped it off at the fedex location late so now it looks to be 2-3day shipping). And i ordered it from my work in NH where there is no tax :) Yay so even with the screwed up shipping im paying 384.

mdc    0
Keyboard keys and Xbox controls aren't the same as the iPod buttons. These pop up, so you don't need to look because we're pretty much use to just finding the bumps then press it. Unless the newest iPod buttons pops up from the device a tad then I find it hard to use the buttons without looking at it, especially at night when it's dark. But as it is a button now instead of touch, I think it would be easier than the third generation. I still have trouble at night trying to find the "pause" button with no backlight on as you're not real sure where it actually is. Well, that's me.

@jmc777: Yeah, the new iPod is about 1 millimeter down but I still think it's quite thin from the photographs I saw of them comparing the old iPods.

i agree, it would be awesome to have the buttons light up, but think about this. the buttons are on the 4 cardinal points of the wheel. the 3g buttons are different, you have to take your thumb off the wheel, thus losing your orientation on where the ipod you are. very possible to miss a button.

the new one, the 4 cardinal are on the wheel, so you never take your thumb off the wheel. i am sure you have a good idea where your thumb is on the wheel.

i'll post a mini review of the wheel as soon as mine arrives this morning.

mdc    0
I currently use a Creative MP3 player.. thinking of making the change to iPod...

I was just wondering, if I use Windows XP and I don't have a FireWire port or the iPod dock.

What are the options I can take to charge the iPod? Only by the AC adapter(plug in mains) and USB 2.0?

Will I need to purchase any extra accessories?

the dock is not necessary to charge it. you can use the ac adaptor (works well for me) or the usb 2.0.

you will need nothing else. the usb 2.0 cable comes with the ipod, and so does the ac adaptor, and so does itunes.

elmotan    0

This is my story......

I bought my first 3G 15G on 8 Jul 04. play with it until 16 Jul 4, heard about the impending announcement of the 4Gs, returned the 3G and now I just hold of the new 4G 20G ipod. :D

I haven't got time to really play with it yet, but the I am slightly disappointed with the look and feel of the 4G.

For the short period of time I had the 3G, I really started to love it alot. It looked real cool, state of the art and there were no moving external moving parts except the hold switch. Went for the 4G because it is new and should be way cooler, right?

Well, first of all, the click wheel looks cheap, IMHO. Also, there is a very small gap around the click wheel, ie is is a moving part. (which means that dust may get in?) It does not feel filmsy though, but looked cheap (have I mentioned that already?) :no:

No doubt, the battery life is suppose to be longer and the menu setup is suppose to be more intuitive etc, I am beginning to miss the 3G ipod.

Bottomline, based on looks alone, the 3G seemed like a newer design than the 4G.

I am now thinking of returning the 4G and get a real good deal on the 3G instead.

Any thoughts?

robniep    0
Out of curiosity, what things make you say yuck about the 4th Gen iPods?

I have read and heard that the mini's are not nearly as durable as the full-on iPod, but other than that and the battery expense, I have not heard too many bad things. But I'm not that knowledgeable about them really, so wanted to ask.

Thanks,

BK

Well the design of it looks very cheap IMO. When I saw it I thought it was just some of those cheap-o floor models they use like in phone stores (the fake ones) I didn't like that at all. The buttons are not lit either. I like to have a clear view of what the hell I am doing when I am driving at night. I mean Im sure its a good player, no doubt but I'd rather keep the G3. It's just my personal preference.

Stunod7    0

Okay - someone help me understand this. I've only looked at the 3rd Gen iPods, never touched a mini... Thinking about selling my iRiver (or maybe keeping it) and getting an iPod...

The click wheel... Does this wheel work like the 3rd gen wheel with the buttons moved on to the wheel or is the interface navigated by 4 buttons arranged in a circle?

Toxikk    0
Okay - someone help me understand this. I've only looked at the 3rd Gen iPods, never touched a mini... Thinking about selling my iRiver (or maybe keeping it) and getting an iPod...

The click wheel... Does this wheel work like the 3rd gen wheel with the buttons moved on to the wheel or is the interface navigated by 4 buttons arranged in a circle?

it still has the scrolling ability, you simply press one of the "sides" to do the action.

it is pretty neat-o actually. i played with my first ipod mini today.

uniacid    0

hmmm I still prefer my 3rd Gen 20Gb Ipod :)

Stunod7    0
it still has the scrolling ability, you simply press one of the "sides" to do the action.

it is pretty neat-o actually. i played with my first ipod mini today.

Okay, thanks for clearing that up for me... I think.

Eh, I need to get to downtown Chicago and play with one before I buy it.

Hell, while I'm there I'll go to the Sony Store and make love to the TV's.

JohnO    0

Stun, I went to chicago last christmas

The apple store there rocks!!

But the sony store was poo

just a few big tvs and playstations

also the prices were NORMAL

so much for superstore

Bearded Kirklander    0
Well the design of it looks very cheap IMO. When I saw it I thought it was just some of those cheap-o floor models they use like in phone stores (the fake ones) I didn't like that at all. The buttons are not lit either. I like to have a clear view of what the hell I am doing when I am driving at night. I mean Im sure its a good player, no doubt but I'd rather keep the G3. It's just my personal preference.

All sound cool. I think the lack of lit buttons was a battery saving thing, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for the reply. :)

rocks1985    0
P.S. does this new one finally appear as an external harddrive, or do you still have to use the Apple software???

the 4G iPod, like the 3G iPod, appear as an external harddrive for storing anything.

However, if you want to listen to music on the iPod, you have to use iTunes.

Ryne    0

I thought you don't need iTunes to transfer music to the ipod.

TrunksGoku    0
-FINAL BATTERY UPDATE: Well, my iPod has finally cut out after about 10 hours and 47 minutes of constant usage, on it's first charge. I had the EQ and Sound Check on, upped the contrast a bit, and the backlight timer was also set to 2 seconds. Every 30 minutes I would skip ahead 10 songs to reload the iPod's cache (and emulate actual usage.) Type of files played were mostly MP3's encoded between 192-256kbps. Final verdict: battery life now kicks butt! :yes:

:D :D :D :D

AWESOME~!!!

great to hear that the battery lasted that long with the backlight on like that

brn2prgrm    0
:D :D :D :D

AWESOME~!!!

great to hear that the battery lasted that long with the backlight on like that

Yup, it surprised even myself as it was slowly wearin' down. It just kept going, and going, and going...... you get the point! :D

timmayXL    0

hmm is there anything i can do to guarantee a blue backlight?