The new 20gb iPod

the ones made in Taiwan have blue lights the ones made in China have white.

Oh man! That is a bummer. I would hope they all had that cool blue backlight. Bummer. :(

I read in a article somewhere that the 4g and 3g ipods have the same battery and that the 4g get 4 hours more battery life because of better battery conservation which explains the lack of the back-lit buttons, but i personaly dont think you need the lights because all the controls are always under your thumb.

my 4g comes tommorow! :D

I think they made some other changes in how power is used. I believe you could dissable the lit buttons on the 3g(correct me if wrong).

Anyway you gotta love modern technology

fedexthumb.gif

lol.

What's inside the Free music for your iPod? iTunes freebies? And is 4g the first gen of iPods that have backlight?

-Big blue sheet that says "Free Music for your iPod" on one side, and then describes the free weekly singles on iTMS on the back (thought maybe they give ya an iTMS certificate.)

I like my 20g 3g more also..

the new ones look hard to use, while moving around the wheel it looks like you could easily press a button by mistake, especially while fast forwarding/rewinding through a track and accidentally hitting next/previous

I totally agree, that's why I love the 3G models, imo Apple didn't give enough to call this a 4G, 3.5 maybe.

@whoever asked

iTunes is needed to transfer the music but there are other programs that you can buy to do the job if you don't like iTunes.

@whoever asked

iTunes is needed to transfer the music but there are other programs that you can buy to do the job if you don't like iTunes.

there is a winamp plugin,dont know if it works but its a good idea ;)

@whoever asked

Then iTunes isn't needed ;)

Ok, decided to give the G4 a try before even returning it.

I just discover a feature that may be a power management thing or possibly a glitch?

While playing with the ipod, sometimes the ipod just goes to pause by itself. Called the tech support and they told me to restore the ipod. (Found out also that for the clickwheel ipod, there will only be a one time tech support and subsequent ones will be charged. Instead of the 90 days support previously. Huh?)

I was quite reluctant to restore it and so after troubleshooting it mself, I found that everytime I unplug the headphones, the ipod pauses. With the headphone connected, when I push the connector in some more, it also goes to pause. Perhaps this is a power saving feature? Or is it a hardware problem.

Can anyone could verify this?

I just discover a feature that may be a power management thing or possibly a glitch?

While playing with the ipod, sometimes the ipod just goes to pause by itself. Called the tech support and they told me to restore the ipod. (Found out also that for the clickwheel ipod, there will only be a one time tech support and subsequent ones will be charged. Instead of the 90 days support previously. Huh?)

I was quite reluctant to restore it and so after troubleshooting it mself, I found that everytime I unplug the headphones, the ipod pauses. With the headphone connected, when I push the connector in some more, it also goes to pause. Perhaps this is a power saving feature? Or is it a hardware problem.

A G4 is a MacPC :D....but yeah when I unplug the headphones it does pause.

While playing with the ipod, sometimes the ipod just goes to pause by itself.? Called the tech support and they told me to restore the ipod. (Found out also that for the clickwheel ipod, there will only be a one time tech support and subsequent ones will be charged. Instead of the 90 days support previously. Huh?)

Awesome, yeah! When playing something, I pulled out the headphones and about a second later it pasued by itself. Haven't had the problem where pushing em in makes it pause too, but this is defintely cool. Also, when the iPod is in sleep mode with the screen off, plugging in a pair of headphones wakes it up. Thanks!Feature List updated>

man the white backlight sucks. I have blue backlight on my dell dj and it looks much sexier, the buttons light up too :laugh:

Heh, I love my white backlight on my 3rd gen. Its light light light blue.

Btw, Dell DJs are so chunky and should not have been mentioned in the first place in this topic :p

the 4G iPod, like the 3G iPod, appear as an external harddrive for storing anything.

However, if you want to listen to music on the iPod, you have to use iTunes.

just want to clarify for my simple mind.

does the ipod plug and play into any windows xp machine and get recognised as a usb pen drive? this is for storing regular files on the ipod etc not for music reasons. because on thing i want in the portable mp3 player with an hd this big is the portable harddrive side of things and i dont want to be installing drivers as i cant do that on the uni computers.

btw i know its not apple but you guys should definately check out THIS mind you its not an ipod but damn good on features. but sells for the price of the 40gb model of ipod. but colour screen and support for digital cameras and radio is a bonus. remember this is australian prices!

please answer my question though.. i dont want you getting too distracted about this. i love the look and style of ipod its just a big investment so gotta think what suites me best. so far on features the h320 seems awesome and i can get it cheaper from china (the always smuggle things into the country from korea to avoid tax)

btw i know its not apple but you guys should definately check out THIS mind you its not an ipod but damn good on features. but sells for the price of the 40gb model of ipod. but colour screen and support for digital cameras and radio is a bonus. remember this is australian prices!

I'm just doubtful about battery life with a color screen...

just want to clarify for my simple mind.

does the ipod plug and play into any windows xp machine and get recognised as a usb pen drive? this is for storing regular files on the ipod etc not for music reasons. because on thing i want in the portable mp3 player with an hd this big is the portable harddrive side of things and i dont want to be installing drivers as i cant do that on the uni computers.

You do not have to use itunes, but you can not simply drag & drop songs like a usb flash drive. You have to use some form of software.

ok thanks for that but that was not my question... please re-read this cruicial part.

this is for storing regular files on the ipod etc not for music reasons.

and about the product i mentioned earlier.. the battery life is said to be 16hrs. although i dont know any1 with one who can vouch for that.

great :) thank you for that info

now i have a tough decision to make.. 20gb iRiver H320 with colour screen 16hrs playback, radio, digital camera support, voce recorder, remote, srs wow, etc for $585 AUD (get friend to bringback from china) or get the iPod 4g being sexy and popular in the 40gb size for $585 AUD (with student discount)

here is a link to the info on it from the official site:

http://www.iriver.com/product/info.asp?p_name=H320

and here is an image (that remote is from the old h140 i believe and is different to the one released with the h320):

0831.jpg