The new 20gb iPod

i dont know... i wouldnt even know where to start in findig accessories for it as its not as popular as the iPod. but the features it has are the ones i really wanted in the ipod (radio and longer battery for flights to china from melbourne)

edit: another question

should the ipods battery be drained often-ish b4 recharging to maintain its life? will over charging reduce its life? and will quik charging reduce its life? cause i wouldnt want to get much less than 10hours playtime with an ipod (with 192bitrate)

second edit the company that brings you iTrip also brings a portable device for all media players like sony md and iriver so the itrip factor isnt a problem.

god i just wish the price was a bit closer to the 20gb ipod.. then i'd be sold. i dont mind the extra 30g in weight and 3-4mm thickness for these features.

Edited by Fizical

id rather go for teh iriver than the ipod, iriver has much more features than the ipod for teh same price. buy an ipod if u wan to be with the current trend :/

i find this hard to believe. if you look at the picture in the far right it has video!!

in the suported formats it does state it supports mpeg1 and mpeg2 (which are video fomats also arent they) but the website doesnt say anything about playing videos on it. looks like after 31s of july im heading down to the store and asking about this.

if you look at the picture above of it in use it has text there and not video. but then there is this on the official site this image:

http://www.iriver.com/product/popup.asp?p_...t_img=product_2

i guess its like that sexy ipod with backlights we saw.. but if it does support it then i can watch my favourite simpsons episodes on one and im definately sold.

post-96-1090579019.jpg

Toxikk, I get the feeling you want the blue backlight... i do too :yes:

I'm considering just going to the Apple store in St. Louis on Monday, think if I'd buy a 20gb I'd be able to check it's light (or where it was made on the box)? I've never been in an Apple store.

should the ipods battery be drained often-ish b4 recharging to maintain its life? will over charging reduce its life? and will quik charging reduce its life?

http://www.apple.com/batteries/

Explians li-ion batteries charge cycle. My understanding is that it dosent matter how often you charge whether its through the cycle or not. the amount of overall use you have had with the battery is what wears it out.

Therefore if you are not going to be using it for a while you should keep it plugged in rather than in "sleep" mode - keeps the electrons moving but is not wearing out battery

Right. Question of the year:

Does the click wheel click? And if it does, is it annoying?

The best thing with the 3G iPod was that it didn't make any sound at all. So if the click wheel clicks, I'll stick to the 3G :p

Right. Question of the year:

Does the click wheel click? And if it does, is it annoying?

The best thing with the 3G iPod was that it didn't make any sound at all. So if the click wheel clicks, I'll stick to the 3G :p

I think you can specify whether you want it to click through headphones, in general, both or none.

I think you can specify whether you want it to click through headphones, in general, both or none.

I think they are referring to an actual, physical click. I've read in other threads that it does make a "click" sound, sort of like the click of a mouse button, but I'm not sure how loud exactly. I'll let you know when I get mine tomorrow.

I think they are referring to an actual, physical click. I've read in other threads that it does make a "click" sound, sort of like the click of a mouse button, but I'm not sure how loud exactly. I'll let you know when I get mine tomorrow.

Yeah, I meant a physical click.

I've just noticed another brilliant feature; albeit minor, that makes a big difference. With prior generations; if you changed the rating of a song on an iPod that change would get erased when you synced it with iTunes.

With the 4th generation iPod, that change is applied to the song(s) on your computer. Therefore you can make rating changes on your iPod then have those changes reflected on your computer when you resync it. :)

i don't know which iPod to get now... i guess if i already owned a 3G i'd keep it, but since i don't own an iPod i'll just go ahead and buy the 4G.

I've just noticed another brilliant feature; albeit minor, that makes a big difference. With prior generations; if you changed the rating of a song on an iPod that change would get erased when you synced it with iTunes.

With the 4th generation iPod, that change is applied to the song(s) on your computer. Therefore you can make rating changes on your iPod then have those changes reflected on your computer when you resync it. :)

I do that with my 3G...

Actually I just rated a ****load of songs yesterday on my iPod and synced them in iTunes for that very purpose.

I do that with my 3G...

Actually I just rated a ****load of songs yesterday on my iPod and synced them in iTunes for that very purpose.

Yeah I was going to say... :blink: That's been a feature for awhile now.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/

Explians li-ion batteries charge cycle. My understanding is that it dosent matter how often you charge whether its through the cycle or not. the amount of overall use you have had with the battery is what wears it out.

Therefore if you are not going to be using it for a while you should keep it plugged in rather than in "sleep" mode - keeps the electrons moving but is not wearing out battery

exactly. nickel-cadmium batteries had to be fully drained...but this is lithium-ion

Hey I just thought I saved enough money to buy the iPod 4G. Today I went to see try them out and was shocked to see that in fact the 3G ones look somewhat better with that acrylic backlit touch sensitive buttons and all that. Moreover, I think the 3G serves the philosophy (!) of having no non-moving parts better since the 4G has a clickable scroll wheel. I really do not know what to do, if it were only the looks, I would buy a powerbook instead of a toshiba but the performance matters too (maybe toshiba should hire some artists too :p ). I mean the battery life is just better in the 4G and the scroll wheel seems to work fine (though I am afraid some dust particles might get in). In fact the clickable scroll wheel has an albeit advantage as someone said before. Since the touch sensitive buttons work with capacitors, you must use a conductor (your bodies, for example) to use them, whereas a click is enough for the clickable one (you would not be able to scroll though). I mean we have clickable buttons everywhere (cell phones, notebooks and all that) and they seem to work fine, even after years. But after using my brother's 3G for a week, I am really in the middle now.

Do you (especially the ones who have bought the 4G) the clickable wheel ruins everything up or am I just paranoid or something like that? (I must be, look at this lengthy post and the numerous parantheses).

Edited by daimon

Do you (especially the ones who have bought the 4G) the clickable wheel ruins everything up or am I just paranoid or something like that? (I must be, look at this lengthy post and the numerous parantheses).

i've used a 2g 10gb, a 3g 15gb (a friends), and a mini...

the 2g has those 4 buttons around the wheel,

the 3g has the 4 touch buttons along the top,

and the mini has the clickable wheel.

of them all, i like the mini's the most, but i don't like how sensitive it is... you can go to push play or whatever, and adjust the volume accidentally. i hated the touch buttons because there was no tactile feedback. imagine using a keyboard where you just touched something... it didn't click, didn't move :x

i like the click-wheel, but as i haven't seen the 4g ipods yet, my first impression is that the brushed metal wheel is ugly.

i was just wondering, if your itunes collection exceeds the capacity of your ipod what happens? which sogs are put on the ipod?

it depends.

some people use those checkboxes... songs with checks are put on the ipod.

some people use the ratings... songs with higher ratings get priority.

you could also make playlists (or smart playlists) and only update those, not your entire library.

if you don't use ratings or the checks or playlists, i think itunes just 'guesses', based on the play counts of your songs.