*Official* New iMac thread

Personally, I like it. I will say they might have fared better had they put the speaker grilles on the front, under the monitor...but still. It's nice.

I'm also amused by the "It's (the space below the monitor) not annoying/ugly because it's necessary!" argument being put forth by many a mac fan in the comments section of the front page news post. Face it, many things are both necessary and annoying.

**cough**government**cough**

And to those saying, "They should have made it 2" thicker and not had the space underneath"...Let's think about that for a minute. The way it is now, you look at it and you KNOW that you're looking at an all in one computer. If you were to look at the iMac you suggest, you'd be looking at a regular ol' Apple Cinema Display with 4 inches of ass. The first impression would be completely different. People would still think something was wrong with it and on top of that, they wouldn't know if it was some kind of freaky monitor or a computer...

they could have made it 1-2inch thicker and taken the components from that area and moved them to the rear

edit: dupe post :(

Also, you have to remember that it's not liquid inside that computer case. You can't just alter the volume any way you see fit and expect everything inside to fill out the new space. I haven't seen the inside, but it's very possible that it just wasn't possible to fit everything inside a case that was 3" shorter but 2" deeper.

who knows.

I think the new iMacs are pretty nice and it's about time Apple start an agressive campaign to market Macs.

Personally I think when most people are buying a new computer, the choices they face are: Dell, IBM, HP and such. Apple is simply not even within their consideration. When I say most people, I don't mean people here at Neowin, I mean people who just use their computer to surf the net, check emails, chat and look at pr0n. They don't consider getting a Mac because they're not exposed to one. Apple should put more demo units in malls so that people can actually experience it for themselves. It's same with iPods: when I hadn't seen an iPod, I thought it's stupid to spend $299 on a music player; but when actually held one, I totally changed my mind.

The problem with Macs is that they are generally more expensive than PCs. But with the introduction of the new iMac G5 at such a low price, PCs will face some serious competition if Apple does a good job at marketing and advertising. The key to that, like I said, is to let end-users actually experience Macs. It's really gonna make a difference IMO.

That's just my two cents...

And where are the speakers supossed to be? :rolleyes:

I think they are those two little grey indents on the side. I think they are directed out the bottom of the unit.

I think they are those two little grey indents on the side. I think they are directed out the bottom of the unit.

yes, they are there. but he was talking about the other pic someone made with a not so big white bottom. go back a page.

yes, they are there. but he was talking about the other pic someone made with a not so big white bottom. go back a page.

I imagine they would just slide them up a little more. :)