SP2 RTM (WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU)

After almost everybody knows the "EventID 4226: TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts", I used a day to create for educational purpose a fix for this argumentative feature.

Unfortunately there exists no REG-key which could easily be set (would be so nice and easy, right? *smile*). The file TCPIP.SYS in the directory C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS and C:\WINDOWS\SERVICEPACKFILES\I386 has to be changed (system dependend eventually in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DLLCACHE, too).

Needed things:

- XP SP2 RC1/RC2/RC2-2 (Build 2096/2149/2162/2180)

- patcher (1.2)

- a small amount of time

http://www.lvllord.de/4226fix/4226fix-en.htm

what does 'dependend' mean. Anyone know what he is saying about the DLLCACHE folder?

it's just so much easier to wait til it's available to download from windows update. who cares if you got it first or not. i want the final final version that has no cracks or warez crap in it.

it's just so much easier to wait til it's available to download from windows update. who cares if you got it first or not. i want the final final version that has no cracks or warez crap in it.

What the fritz are you talking about? THIS IS THE FINAL VERSION.

:laugh:

does the rtm tag in the about windows dialog bother you that much? :(

does the rtm tag in the about windows dialog bother you that much? :(

LOL It's just a tag, it will not make any difference to how your pc runs. hehehehe ;)

,Aug 8 2004, 19:08] What the fritz are you talking about? THIS IS THE FINAL VERSION.

:laugh:

i know it's the final version but i feel better about getting it directly from microsoft's site rather than go through a listing of 10 torrents, 5 of which are from some german site.

forget it. i'd rather wait.

i know it's the final version but i feel better about getting it directly from microsoft's site rather than go through a listing of 10 torrents, 5 of which are from some german site.

It's your problem rather than the website's one.

my problem, what? that i can't find the right one because nerds are too slap happy and try to get the first thing out and/or mislabel things to look uber l33t?

nah, i've seen tons of topics about which version is right and all the trouble it's caused. like i said, i'd rather wait on it.

How to turn Winbeta into MSDN Do the following in Hex Editor"

1) Remove last 6888 bytes of Winbeta.

2) Goto offset 0x0128 and replace next 4 bytes with 0xBC 0xFA 0xA0 0x10

3) Goto offset 0x0160 and replace (not insert) next 8 bytes with 0's.

For those curious, the differences are as follows:

1) The last 6888 contain the actual digitial certificate.

2) This part contains the checksum/crc of the exe. This will be diff. because of 1 and 3.

3) This part contains an offset to the digital signature at the end. It is 0'ed out if not present.

hehe

So MSDN is simply missing the digital certificate which is the last 6888 bytes.

Fair enough, I guess :unsure:

But you do realise that file is from the microsoft web site? And it is original! Just checking.

my problem, what? that i can't find the right one because nerds are too slap happy and try to get the first thing out and/or mislabel things to look uber l33t?

nah, i've seen tons of topics about which version is right and all the trouble it's caused. like i said, i'd rather wait on it.

uber l33t ? :laugh: :laugh:

:omg: I really don't understand you. But whatever, yeah, wait.

what i am saying is that there are people and sites out there that will rush a file out there thinking they know what they are doing but in actuality they don't in order to say "hey, we are the first with it and get it here since we are so great!".

thus the problems with all the hash marks and the programs to check whether or not the service pack is genuine.

Visit the home page (www.neowin.net) and get the file from there, use the MD5 checker (with the app link they give you) and make sure your downloaded file matches the hash provided on the home page. :)

The correct files are.

Windows Beta

File Name: WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe

Size: 266 MB (278,927,592 bytes)

MD5: 59a98f181fe383907e520a391d75b5a7

CRC32: 46F12B1

MSDN

File Name: XPSP2.EXE

Size: 265 MB (278,920,704 bytes)

MD5: 94276421fa963122a4e434d3b14fdc01

CRC32: F76354CA

why is one slightly bigger?

it doesn't matter but im just curious

Please read a few posts back:

How to turn Winbeta into MSDN  Do the following in Hex Editor"

1) Remove last 6888 bytes of Winbeta.

2) Goto offset 0x0128 and replace next 4 bytes with 0xBC 0xFA 0xA0 0x10

3) Goto offset 0x0160 and replace (not insert) next 8 bytes with 0's.

For those curious, the differences are as follows:

1) The last 6888 contain the actual digitial certificate.

2) This part contains the checksum/crc of the exe. This will be diff. because of 1 and 3.

3) This part contains an offset to the digital signature at the end. It is 0'ed out if not present.

hehe

So MSDN is simply missing the digital certificate which is the last 6888 bytes.

why is one slightly bigger?

That's odd. The one listed above as BETA is the one officially available from the Microsoft Network Install Package directly from the Microsoft website. MD5 Hashes are identical. Hrrmmm... :huh:

,Aug 10 2004, 05:45] You're better than me then, I have the Final copy from windowsbeta. :p

Me too, but im confused thou i mean if this is final ppl are saying that the RTM tag should be removed making it well just rtm. Anyway i do think its final ill forget the file from winbeta an wait lol as i dont have a networked computer or more than one anyway. And yeh i wont be surprised if both files from WU5 carried the same tag lol.