Why should I upgrade to SP2?

I'm running 8 machines (4 desktops and 4 laptops) and after reading all of the nightmares about SP2, I've decided to put off upgrading to SP2 indefinately! :huh:

I did try SP2 RTM on one of my less important platforms and I must say the only difference I noticed was it slowed it down and Nero wouldn't run...

If I'm running Enterprise level A-V and firewall, why would I even want to put what appears to be a bad beta SP in systems that have been running flawlessly for over 2 years??? :wacko:

I understand a lot of people around here suffer from "upgrade lust" syndrome, but can someone tell me just one benefit of SP2???

Err.. how about it feels good to know you always have the latest version of something :D

It's like having a computer with always the latest hardware (assuming you have unlimited amount of $$$)

sp2's awesome :D

i would suggest slipstreaming n' doing a clean install- but the tailored windows update version should be fine just so u have kept your machine in shape and taken care of it :)

sp2's awesome :D

i would suggest slipstreaming n' doing a clean install- but the tailored windows update version should be fine just so u have kept your machine in shape and taken care of it :)

Hey, SP1 is awesome if you know how to tweak it!

IMHO, my machine is already in great shape...why would I want make my O/S incompatible with half of the programs developed pre-SP2??

:no: I have two machines I installed SP2 on, one has Xp pro, and the other Xp home, and I cannot recommend it. Sp 1 with all the udates is way more stable. I get right-click windows explorer file operation errors that crash and freeze the windows shell on both machines. I did a clean reinstall with a slipstreamed Sp2 Cd on one of the machines to see if it would help, but still, the same type of errors. So my recommendation is to stay away from it, far far away! At least till they figure out those bugs.

I have two systems. There are in my sig. Both of them were very fast and every single program ran great on them, without any conflicts. The Celeron 2.0 machine has 5.40 GB Program Files folder. So it has a lot of programs. The other machine is basically a backup machine with a MSN Messenger on it and Nero 6 Ultra. I installed SP2 on both of them and only saw a slight speed increase and a shorter bootup time. I also installed on it on my parents' system, which is similar to my Celeron machine, and saw the same results. It matters on one thing, program compatability and system maintenance BEFORE you install SP2. SP2 will not screw your machine up. I would suggest to install it on one of your more powerful machines and see what you think. I think you will notice a difference.

Put it on for security's sake. If you don't and your system gets some serious damage done to it from a security breach, don't come crying to me. It's for all windows users sake that everybody upgrades to SP2.

I noticed a pretty big speed increase on all of my PC's. Especially on my 600mhz laptop, but even my Athlon 64 feels a little snappier (None were clean installs). I installed it on each one of my PC's and no problems on any of them. Having concurrent sessions working on my server is a goldmine :).

Put it on for security's sake. If you don't and your system gets some serious damage done to it from a security breach, don't come crying to me. It's for all windows users sake that everybody upgrades to SP2.

So sorry...I'm not one of those n00b Windows users that lets hackers into his PC(s) uninvited...

IMHO, most of impetus for XP SP2 was for the morons running around the internet without a firewall and running some worthless A/V like NAV...

Your thinking is akin to a knee-jerk reaction - If it's good for the flock then everyone has to do it...even if it means dumbing down the whole enchilada.

From what I can see, there ain't a whole lot of "GOOD" reasons to switch...a lot of people are in a world of hurt because of "XP SickPack 2"! :wacko:

Zatoichi - Look, we're all proud that you have 8 computers but we're not twisting your arm to use Service Pack 2 if you don't think you need it then don't install it. you can read aswel as us, go check out Microsofts website for all the fixes that are included and compare that against the error messages. I don't understand why you started this thread, unless it was simply to have us suggest to upgrade and you replying with "no".

Zatoichi - Look, we're all proud that you have 8 computers but we're not twisting your arm to use Service Pack 2 if you don't think you need it then don't install it. you can read aswel as us, go check out Microsofts website for all the fixes that are included and compare that against the error messages. I don't understand why you started this thread, unless it was simply to have us suggest to upgrade and you replying with "no".

Well said... ;)

i'm gonna put off updating to sp2 also 'coz of all the conflicts it causes to some progs... maybe i'll update when sp3 or longhorn comes - whichever comes first...

Well, other than the occassional "SP2 makes my machine fly" or the gratitious "Do it cause it's the latest & greatest" I haven't read ONE reason to upgrade to XP SP2 that has anything to do with a documented improvement, unless your some n00b that has never run a third party firewall, enterprise level A-V or spyware-adware remover...

Come on, tell of me of one improvement M$ implemented in SP2 that's gonna be worth sorting through dozens of program incompatibilities! Just ONE! :pinch:

BTW, I think the reason most people have perceived performance boosts is due to clean installs removing clutter or the "plecebo" effect! LOL :rofl:

And as for my 8 PCs, I run a small business and use them daily for that purpose (except for one I run in my studio). :whistle:

Well, other than the occassional "SP2 makes my machine fly" or the gratitious "Do it cause it's the latest & greatest" I haven't read ONE reason to upgrade to XP SP2 that has anything to do with a documented improvement, unless your some n00b that's never run a thrid party firewall or enterprise level A-V...

Come on, tell of one improvement M$ implemented in SP2 that's gonna be worth sorting through dozens of program incompatibilities! Just ONE! :pinch:

<Rant>You keep calling everybody "Noobs," but if you've really been around for a while you'd know that eventually SP2 will be the standard. PERIOD. It is not here to bring you new exciting features, or to get you excited about using it. It's a SERVICE PACK. A collection of recent patches.

It sounds to me like you are scared to upgrade. The truth is that if you were as experienced as you think you are then you wouldn't have any problems upgrading. I know I didn't have a single issue, and I know many many people that have had the same experience. If you want to wait to make sure that no new bugs were introduced, fine. If you expect service packs to be exciting, then you will be sorely disappointed with SP2 anyway. </Rant>

<Rant>You keep calling everybody "Noobs," but if you've really been around for a while you'd know that eventually SP2 will be the standard. PERIOD. It is not here to bring you new exciting features, or to get you excited about using it. It's a SERVICE PACK. A collection of recent patches.

It sounds to me like you are scared to upgrade. The truth is that if you were as experienced as you think you are then you wouldn't have any problems upgrading. I know I didn't have a single issue, and I know many many people that have had the same experience. If you want to wait to make sure that no new bugs were introduced, fine. If you expect service packs to be exciting, then you will be sorely disappointed with SP2 anyway. </Rant>

I couldn't said it better myself. Scared.

I couldn't said it better myself. Scared.

You're dam tootin' I'm scared...scared of going back to crash & burn like it was before SP1. :rolleyes:

Just because Bill Gates & Co. release something don't mean I'm gonna run out and buy it, especially if it means hours and hours of work...time is $$$ for me.

When M$ released SP1a, I stuck with SP1 cause I wanted to keep Java Virtual Machine in SP1, so much for being up-to-date...LOL! :rofl:

BTW, I started this thread to see if I was really missing out on anything with SP2...so far, ZILCH!!!

Thats NADA for all you hispanic speakin folks out there!!! :alien: