west coast of US will be destroyed ..

If the worlds going to end, Its going to end by whatever means. Theres no point worrying about it becuase its not like theres going to be anything you can do after its happened.

There will be an earthquake, but I doubt CA will actually float off to join Hawaii like everybody wants. The supervolcano thing is real, though, but we'll probably have at least some warning time before it goes kaboom.

Here's a fun disaster scenario straight from The Discovery Channel: a new planetary ice age within the next 10-20 years. Ice age? But what about global warming? Well it seems that geological data from the previous ice ages show they result from a brief warm up of the atmoshpere just a few years prior to each ice age. This increase in temperature (as slight as a few degrees) causes an imbalance in the temperature-salinity balance of the major oceans. This imbalance slows down the salinity currents (both the North Atlantic Deep Water and the Atlantic Bottom water), shutting off ocean thermohaline circulation.

This causes the worlds oceans to rapidly drop in temperature, causing a global freeze within a few short months. So in effect, the warmer it gets, the colder its gonna get. Joy.

<-runs to kitchen for more tin foil

Hello,

The Day After Tomorrow.

lol

Here's a fun disaster scenario straight from The Discovery Channel: a new planetary ice age within the next 10-20 years. Ice age? But what about global warming? Well it seems that geological data from the previous ice ages show they result from a brief warm up of the atmoshpere just a few years prior to each ice age. This increase in temperature (as slight as a few degrees) causes an imbalance in the temperature-salinity balance of the major oceans. This imbalance slows down the salinity currents (both the North Atlantic Deep Water and the Atlantic Bottom water), shutting off ocean thermohaline circulation.

This causes the worlds oceans to rapidly drop in temperature, causing a global freeze within a few short months. So in effect, the warmer it gets, the colder its gonna get. Joy.

<-runs to kitchen for more tin foil

Ah, The Day After Tomorrow scenario ;). Scary to think about...and at least the supercell storms didn't hit all of the world - just the Northern Hemisphere! :p (too bad I live there...)

Ah well, sooner or later the universe is going to completely end...WHAT ABOUT THAT, HUH!? (yeah, I think my scenario is the worst). :)

Ah, The Day After Tomorrow scenario ;). Scary to think about...and at least the supercell storms didn't hit all of the world - just the Northern Hemisphere! :p (too bad I live there...)

Ah well, sooner or later the universe is going to completely end...WHAT ABOUT THAT, HUH!? (yeah, I think my scenario is the worst). :)

Those "super-duper-cooler" storms in TDaT are complete bologna. The thought that a storm could reach up into the upper atomsphere and "pull" down super-cooled air is...is... :laugh:

But super cell storms, such as incredibly intense Hurricanes, that can last over land, and over cooler waters are a possibility. As are incredibly intense storms that just last and last and last, not to mention super blizzards, super tornadoes, super, well everything. In this case/scenerio, we've never seen it before so it would be super everything really.

But those storms in TDaT are just bullcrap. lol

We have the same discussion on "planetary destruction" every week on this website.

Its getting boring.

We can't predict everything, so stop bloody worrying, and enjoy your life while you have it.

We have the same discussion on "planetary destruction" every week on this website.

Its getting boring.

It is quite a coincidence that all these natural disasters that occur every x years all seem to be happenening right now. :o

LOL no... I like that phrase from TNG and somehow your avatar and signature reminds me of the show... and this is a good time to scare ppl or at least divert their attention to some other force of fear... lol I was in no way mocking you... I love that show dude...

Just one question at the SilverKnight-dude; how do you know it's 2010...

Its obvious, he saw Escape From LA last night and thought it was a documentary.

Anyways, I live in So-Cal and have been hearing these theories since i was a child. As long as it doesnt happen in my lifetime i couldn't care less. :p Its not like theres anything i can do about it anyways. So lets all just get drunk and enjoy it while we still can! :cool:

LOL no... I like that phrase from TNG and somehow your avatar and signature reminds me of the show... and this is a good time to scare ppl or at least divert their attention to some other force of fear... lol I was in no way mocking you... I love that show dude...

Heh, it's ok I was kidding anyways.

Long live Locutus of Borg. He could save California!

When an earthquake breaks up countries like Turkey, they do real damage. But when civilized countries are hit, the damage is less. Turkey is still alive after a giant earthquake. You guys should not worry that much

This is what that movie was about? I never saw it...

Yes, it was about the cooling of the atlantic current and the subsequent disruption of the weather across the globe (though it really only showed one country getting affected, cuz everyone knows only the US matters in disaster movies)

back in 69' when I was only 12, my family lived in California and there was a scare about the very same thing, and it was due to the San Andreas fault line running thru the area. This isnt anything new.........

The yellowstone stuff is due to the fact that the very lava which causes heat for yellowstone's geysers has nowhere to go and is increasing in pressure in that area, this has been measured by scientists, because elevations are different from the original survey in the early 1900's and by quite a big difference, thus there is a great ammount of lava and pressure building up under yellowstone which could result in a pretty big explosion, the california thing will slide slowly to the northwest in the direction of alaske, just look in mexioco at the baja peninsula, how the hell do you think it was formed, there is separation there but it'll take more than 50,000 years for it to be separed

yeah exactly thats why i want to fully live my "teenage" even if I turn 18 next year. The governement is working on it but it's too strong to do something it's like tring to stop a Formula 1 with ur strenth

How long do you think it takes the magnetic poles to flip? They are only predicting the start of the flip. Did you know that magnetic north has not been fixed for some time now?