The Universe - An Idea

I remember watching a program from the Royal Institute Of Science here in Britain, I think it was last year and one of the topics was about the size of the universe and the woman said that eventually the universe would ?cool down? and stop expanding and actually contract crushing and squeezing everything in the universe. At the moment it is expanding but it will not always do so and she said that our star will supernova in 5 billion years and the universe would not stop expanding for almost over a trillion billion years after that. So it really will have no effect on us at all if it is infant or not will it?

I remember watching a program from the Royal Institute Of Science here in Britain, I think it was last year and one of the topics was about the size of the universe and the woman said that eventually the universe would ?cool down? and stop expanding and actually contract crushing and squeezing everything in the universe. At the moment it is expanding but it will not always do so and she said that our star will supernova in 5 billion years and the universe would not stop expanding for almost over a trillion billion years after that. So it really will have no effect on us at all if it is infant or not will it?

there are two possibilities (that we know will most likely happen) the universe will get so big that there will be no energy left in it to heat anything, and basically everything will go to absolute zero. Second theory is that universe gets to a point, starts to shrink, and then time starts going backwards (a few believe everything will actually happen in reverse, but most believe that since entropy would go backwards, basically physics as we know it would be broken, and everything except for a few elements would be destroyed). Then we go back to nothing, wait a couple trillion years, and big bang 2 (or maybe 4,000, since we don't know how old time is) happens.

But assuming the theory we could never travel at or past the speed of light... we would never meet up with those aliens.

Unless we find a Stargate (wormhole) or develop warp drive (bending space).

If what you say is true, we would feel the basic forces in the Universe less and less. Gravity at this point would be a null force, since our mass would be getting smaller and smaller. And at the rate at which the Universe seems to be expanding, we would now be controlled by subatomic forces like the Strong and Weak forces and not the others like Gravity. Also, the basic elements of matter cannot shrink, that just doesn't make any sense at all.

Well, the force carriers would be shrinking relative to everything else also. Your quarks would be shrinking, your protons, neutrons, electrons, photons, neutrinos, etc. Lets just toss all baryons, mesons, and their antiparticles in there too.

assume this.

if it has been proved the universe is expanding then it is true to say that it must be of a given size now to expand upon. so its not infinite.

so. if its not infinite then whats outside of the universe.

also, what, how, who, if who is the word, created matter in the first place.

we assume its god. of many names he may have dependant upon your location its beleived an entity we call god created this matter. then who created god.?

now your confused because its impossable to creat something out of nothing unless your on the 911 thread. question.WHO CREATED GOD. what created god. if god doesnt exist then what who created matter.

the greeks of old thought of all this too and im sure they had problems working it out also.

goto bed and think on it id like to hear your views. please non religous its not a religous matter. heheh get it matter.

The Universe must end at some point!

Bear with me on this...

Take this, if you could blow a ballon that will never burst it will always have air inside (the universe) and something outside (in this case air, but in the context of the Universe unknown). So if you can travel at a speed greater than the Universe is expanding then you will inevatibly reach the end and surpass into the unknown.

:) wow this sounds like the answer to me :D

Well, the force carriers would be shrinking relative to everything else also.  Your quarks would be shrinking, your protons, neutrons, electrons, photons, neutrinos, etc.  Lets just toss all baryons, mesons, and their antiparticles in there too.

Well, I'm not saying you are just plain wrong, because no one can say that, not me, I'm no physics major and no one knows all the answeres. I'm just saying that your theory makes no real sense. I don't see why the basic elements that make up matter would shirink, and I don't think anyone has found any kind of evidence whatsoever that this would be possible.

That being said, your theory does partially explain the expansion of the Universe... if it is possible. I won't say it doesn't.

I'm just saying, if you look at the evidence, the obvious conclusion is that the Universe is expanding, not that the basic building blocks of matter and energy are shrinking.

Ooh, you know what that means?

There's an infinite amount of people out there willing to give me all of their money! :D

Yes, they're willing to give you money, but then some schmo will try to pay you in "Republic credits" and keeps telling you they'll be fine over and over again, when they're no good here...

Well, I'm not saying you are just plain wrong, because no one can say that, not me, I'm no physics major and no one knows all the answeres. I'm just saying that your theory makes no real sense. I don't see why the basic elements that make up matter would shirink, and I don't think anyone has found any kind of evidence whatsoever that this would be possible.

That being said, your theory does partially explain the expansion of the Universe... if it is possible. I won't say it doesn't.

I'm just saying, if you look at the evidence, the obvious conclusion is that the Universe is expanding, not that the basic building blocks of matter and energy are shrinking.

you're actually correct; when people say the universe might 'shrink', what they mean is that the galaxies will being to move closer together on each other. Eventually everything will collide and compact and there will only be a big mess of partials left, but remember you'll be dead by the time that happens (or at least a lowly head in a jar) :D

you're actually correct; when people say the universe might 'shrink', what they mean is that the galaxies will being to move closer together on each other. Eventually everything will collide and compact and there will only be a big mess of partials left, but remember you'll be dead by the time that happens (or at least a lowly head in a jar) :D

Ah... no. You're not talking about the same thing we were. Relativity_17 was saying that the basic building blocks of matter and energy are literally SHRNIKING in relation to one another, instead of the size of the Universe expanding, which would account for the increasing space between objects in the Universe. He's saying the size of the Universe is static, and everything contained in the Univers is actually shrinking.

What you just explained is the collapse of the Universe due to the effects of Gravity, which is not the same thing. I think you might want to read more carefully before you post next time ;)

since there are infinite worlds, there has to be other people like us doing exactly the same thing. There also has to be people doing the opposite of what we are doing now.

That is an poor, awful and shocking way to think. Just because you can look into the sky and see 'forever', does not whatsoever mean that there has to be other 'people' doing exactly the same thing. And thus also the opposite. That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Yes, the universe is seriously bigger than we can actually comprehend in terms of distance (no one can seriously picture the distance from Earth to any star in another system/galaxy)

Yes, there is a good chance with the billions/trillions/etc.. of stars and their orbiting bodies, that there is possible living organism existing.

But to say that there is people somewhere, reading another version of Neowin, on another version of the internet, on another planet, somewhere else in the universe is extremely a wild statement. Especially when you can only back that up with "the universe is infinate" statement. :rolleyes:

Also I read somewhere a short while ago, that astronomers/scientists had actually found an end to the universe and had worked out the size of the universe? I'll have to check that up.

God is a man made ficticious entity created by the weak minded of old, who could not comprehend nor work out a definative answer as to how everything (including us humans) began. (We still haven't come to the definate answer) And so thus they came to the conclusion that some omnipotent being must have created us and everything around us.

That is an poor, awful and shocking way to think. Just because you can look into the sky and see 'forever', does not whatsoever mean that there has to be other 'people' doing exactly the same thing. And thus also the opposite. That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

agree !

Yes, the universe is seriously bigger than we can actually comprehend in terms of distance (no one can seriously picture the distance from Earth to any star in another system/galaxy)

Yes, there is a good chance with the billions/trillions/etc.. of stars and their orbiting bodies, that there is possible living organism existing.

agree!

But to say that there is people somewhere, reading another version of Neowin, on another version of the internet, on another planet, somewhere else in the universe is extremely a wild statement. Especially when you can only back that up with "the universe is infinate" statement. :rolleyes:

agree!

God is a man made ficticious entity created by the weak minded of old, who could not comprehend nor work out a definative answer as to how everything (including us humans) began. (We still haven't come to the definate answer) And so thus they came to the conclusion that some omnipotent being must have created us and everything around us.

agree in principal unless you actually understand what the writer of the bible is saying then it puts a different picture on religion

booyaa

what if aliens are the ones afraid of us? and the ones interested in us? and not the other way around...

were always trying to find new and exciting images of "aliens" what if there trying to do the same, but not get spotted. say there coming down, taking pictures of us, and flying off as fast as they can...?

Yes, there is that uncertainty about everything in this thread. You can't effectively argue that expansion is more certain than shrinking, since, well, we really have no idea what makes the universe expand - so we have this theory and no tests to support it, we just assume it is.

What kind of species takes 3 million years to discover that the planet which it lives on isn't flat?

theory can be argued infinatly.

facts are what are needed. facts we havent got and will never have because we know (fact) that we are not going to be going far into space in the next billion years period. fact.

there may be little green blue or yellow men on another planet somewhere but they will have exactly the same problem we have trying to travel to another planet millions of miles away.

a) time

b) speed

the reason light can travel at 299 792 458 m / s is because it has no mass.

we have mass and any living organism on this planet or any other possably(theory) has mass. mass causes friction the faster it travels. this friction creates heat which we can only survive between a given amount. also the pressure involved would crush us. we cant even travel too far past the speed of sound without flaking out. what im saying is we arent built to travel fast. so. no light speed and warp factor 10 scotty for us.or the aliens for the same resons.

now given that we are stuck here and they are stuck there.

they will know nothing past where they can see or hear. and we wont either.

so we will have to spend an eternity theorising what is what was and what will be.

if you come up with a LOGICAL answe then send it on a postcard ill be waiting.

theory can be argued infinatly.

facts are what are needed. facts we havent got and will never have because we know (fact) that we are not going to be going far into space in the next billion years period. fact.

there may be little green blue or yellow men on another planet somewhere but they will have exactly the same problem we have trying to travel to another planet millions of miles away.

a) time

b) speed

the reason light can travel at 299 792 458 m / s is because it has no mass.

we have mass and any living organism on this planet or any other possably(theory) has mass. mass causes friction the faster it travels. this friction creates heat which we can only survive between a given amount. also the pressure involved would crush us. we cant even travel too far past the speed of sound without flaking out. what im saying is we arent built to travel fast. so. no light speed and warp factor 10 scotty for us.or the aliens for the same resons.

yay for friction in space.. way to go sherlock :D

if people like you and with intentions like you were up at nasa or esa or any other space assosiation... then yes, we wouldn't be going far in billions of years... :\

i ask you this. if their is no friction then why does a comet have a trail. ?

simple one. plz2stfu and think what YOU want!

just say point taken. makes it all so00o much simpler.

time 4 bed. school in the morning child needs to get there. hehe

yes.. comet's tail is effect of friction in space.. oh please, go back to school or read some stuff.

comet's tail is dust and ionized gas

there's simply no friction in space whatsoever that would affect a single body to produce immense heat, and if there's then it's when two bodies colide..

f00!