Definitive Best Browser Engine

Which is the best browser engine ever made?  

2,407 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best browser engine ever made?

• IE
    • Opera
    • Gecko (mozilla)
    • KHTML

no, you pay like $150 for it with Windows.

since we are using that kind of logic, then you pay that much for mozilla too. I seriously doubt that mozilla was coded in pure 1s and 0s. however, since it is not, you technically pay for it too. mozilla was probably built using win32 calls and all of that other fun stuff.

STV

since we are using that kind of logic, then you pay that much for mozilla too. I seriously doubt that mozilla was coded in pure 1s and 0s. however, since it is not, you technically pay for it too. mozilla was probably built using win32 calls and all of that other fun stuff.

STV

Mozilla is based on its own platform. Its also freely available, IE requires a windows license.

That truely is free, but how many people are using it?

Mozilla is 100% free. You can use it on Windows if you like, but you can also use it on almost any other platform out there (*nix, *BSD, just to name a few), and many of these cost nothing at all. Unless you wanna be a smartass and count the cost of the internet connection used to download it, and the CD's used to burn it, etc..

IE :)

tried Firefox for a week and don't like the inconsistent UI response (sometimes windows open in new tab..sometimes separate main window..yes I know about:config....have better things to do)

switched back to IE becoz of frustration and not becoz of habit !

its slow and inaccurate for rendering some of the recent small time webpages I coded. (opera/mozilla/IE all showed correctly) :angry: Code was standards compliant, Firefox somehow failed to render correctly.

If you know how to properly handle an OS, IE is no problems. IE+SP2 is the best pop up blocker available right noww.

The only reason why people like Firefox more is that they have never used Opera and had never had the chance to see how great it is.

I have too, I used it for a long time...and I still prefer FireFox.

The only reason why people like Firefox more is that they have never used Opera and had never had the chance to see how great it is.

Nice assumption. I've used Opera plenty of times. Sometimes I like it and use it for a while but I always revert back to Firefox. Number one reason? You have to pay for it to get rid of the ads.. (N)

Nice assumption. I've used Opera plenty of times. Sometimes I like it and use it for a while but I always revert back to Firefox. Number one reason? You have to pay for it to get rid of the ads.. (N)

There are easy workarounds to that. :happy:

I used Opera way before I even knew about the gecko engine. I'll agree that Opera is great, but I just like Firefox more. I like the idea that it doesn't install more stuff than I want like an e-mail client.

Firefox here. I've read reviews in magazines and internet sites that say something like Firefox is great but doesn't have all the "bells and whistles." What are these "bells and whistles" that it's messing? I don't need them cause I don't know what the hell they are. lol

Firefox here. I've read reviews in magazines and internet sites that say something like Firefox is great but doesn't have all the "bells and whistles."  What are these "bells and whistles" that it's messing? I don't need them cause I don't know what the hell they are. lol

you`ve sayed it :p

ps sorry 4 dubble posting

To those who have flamed the person who started this thread.

This is an ever growing site with more and more new members . And as such some discussions etc will be repeated .

In the years I have been here ( July 2001) I have seen many repeats , and many of the members who flame folks

who start repeat threads have also started threads that have been done before.

If you dont like a thread , dont read read it , they are not compulsory viewing .

Being rude and flaming new members is a sure fired way of killing a site.

cheers

As great as Opera is I dislike how it renders some sites. Also if I want to post on my blog I would require to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page to see the text box. As for my vote, it goes to Firefox for extensions, speed, and the fact it has a cooler name than everone else.

Opera

*mouse gestures--> which seem to always run smoother than in any other browser.

*customizable right click menus/ or any menu actually

*the option between having all the bells and whistles (irc, mail client, etc) or just a sleek, clean, and super fast browser just to surf

In addition, contrary to what most believe, Opera can be customized to have equal (if not bettering) the efficiency and speed of Firefox. I think most Opera power users should agree.