Definitive Best Browser Engine

Which is the best browser engine ever made?  

2,407 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best browser engine ever made?

• IE
    • Opera
    • Gecko (mozilla)
    • KHTML

Gecko get my vote, because:

* Fast rendering.

* W3C Standard compliant.

* Portable to most platforms/OS.

* Open source.

584884327[/snapback]

you said it :) funny how people jump in with myIE and firefox, when they are asked about the "engine"

Web browser disscussion? Well even though it may have been done thousands of time's before here and else where, the web-browser is as important online as the air you breath to sustain your life. I'll cast um my entry: Firefox-3rdParty/unofficial builds and K-Meleon which is fast becoming a reckoning force along with Firefox for end-user-based the way a browser should be, implementing things the way you want them, not the way some programmers would have it.

IE has been so over-killed by clone's it defies an explanation, even Microshaft's programmers have just about stopped making patches for it, and Gates has something in mind for the future for IE. More than likely a complete re-vamp of the browser or perhaps just leave the browsing to the 3rd Parties to handle. As folks are building their customization's of Firefox so goes K-Meleon KM Forums. Their unofficial builds are very quick and versatile for users to control what ever they like as Firefox can be through something as simple as the: about:config in your browser's address. Both run off the Gecko engine. So those who may have never heard of K-Meleon get on over and view "General" on the forums there and have yourself a download to check-out. Then come on back and post your thoughts about it then. Have a Merry Christmas btw and a Happy New Year from me, your local K-Meleon and Firefox promoter Hardryve!

You can also visit the K-Meleon the Gecko Forums when you have the time; check it!

Here's a gift of a download, Hao Jiang's unofficial version: K-Meleon CCF 0.018PR5 It's lighning quick.

Edited by Hardryve

you forgot lynx and its fork links and its forks (the best being elinks of couse)

AND WHAT ABOUT GTKHTML?!?!?!? its way better than khtml renders way more and isn't based on the sucky QT

BEST BROWSER ENGINE

Do you understand this yet?  ENGINE.  I.e. Gecko, Presto, Trident, KHTML.

THOSE ARE YOUR ONLY CHOICES, unless you vote for an old 3rd party render engine.

585105384[/snapback]

this should be added on to the first post

will browsing this thread i was going to reply that to almost each person

you forgot lynx and its fork links and its forks (the best being elinks of couse)

AND WHAT ABOUT GTKHTML?!?!?!? its way better than khtml renders way more and isn't based on the sucky QT

585111227[/snapback]

Heh, KHTML got a huge boost when Safari adopted it. I'm willing to bet it's better than GTKHTML now.

no its not as gtkhtml merges with gecko unlike khtml that once it forked it didn't take on thing from gecko

585114358[/snapback]

Ah, but WebCore/KHTML rivals Gecko in standards compliancy, especially in CSS.

lynx and elinks? are they linux or os or? Never encountered either of them. Although I would like to know more about them. Well I take that back I have heard of lynx something of a text browser isn't it? Can you run lynx on XP? If so do you have a link to lynx? I would gladly check out a version that will run on Windows XP in any event. The more you know the better it get's!

prefer Opera..

using Opera 7.6 Beta..

2nd. firefox

although firefox is slightly faster than the new opera 7.6 but then what i like about Opera is the function

i can bookmark there easily.... and make my daily surfing more convenient :p

Opera costs money. It doesn't do anything special enough to make me want to pay for it, nor do I want to look at an ad sponsored browser when there are many free alternatives.

IE's rendering engine is out of date. They need to start implementing more accurate rendering of CSS2 before I'll consider using it or any of the browsers that utilize the IE rendering engine. Only a web developer can know the horror of having to hack apart perfeclty compliant code to make it work in Internet Explorer. Gah.

That leaves me with Gecko based browsers. It's open source. Vulnerabilities are fixed more quickly than in IE. Standards compliance isn't perfect but it's better than most, although it's not as forgiving with poorly written HTML, which is fine by me. I also like the fact that I can use Firefox on both Windows and Linux and hardly even tell the difference.

IE -> Too old, doesn't do anything new. Supports a lot of things that other engines do not support though (these are mostly made by microsoft though, like WindowsUpdate and stuff like that)

Opera -> Looks like a mix of Gecko and IE, but doesn't support enough javascript and CSS1/2/3

Gecko -> Supports many things, but still, there is a lack of CSS1/2/3 features.

KAHTML or whatever it is -> I have no clue what that is, so I won't say anything, but I believe it doesn't support more CSS1/2/3 features than other rendering engines do.

If every browser supported every CSS1/2/3 features correctly and the same way, then it would be easier for us, website designers to work with multiple browsers.

CSS1/2/3 is the key to make a great website easily !

I think Opera is a failure; its not really done anything special that i can't get somewhere else for free and better implemented. Internet Explorers not bad- its just tired. I'm sure with an update in 2005/6 it'd become usable again.

However, at hte moment, Firefox rules the roost. Its new, its got cool features, and its been updated.

Well I saw a website with Javascript menus and they worked fine in every browser, but Opera.

Opera can do many things other browsers can't though. And I'm not talking about non-browser-related features.

Well I saw a website with Javascript menus and they worked fine in every browser, but Opera.

Opera can do many things other browsers can't though. And I'm not talking about non-browser-related features.

585202384[/snapback]

A lot of times, when you identify as IE or Firefox, the scripts will then work properly.