NexPad 0.6

setting.xml is missing in the package bangbang023, or atleast the program couldn't create one without user interaction :(

It would be neat if you could just add syntax code highlightning, and other text/script format support... ;)

EDiT: Hmmm... now is root element missing... :blink:

sorry for the constant editing, I'm tired and can't think on what I'm writing down :p

post-88-1096669864.jpg

Edited by phedot

hmm lemme check into this. I think running it from the desktop is waht is causing the problems.

edit: The problem is I'm an idiot and forgot to package in the settings.xml file. New release in a few seconds.

0.11 is out and is more of a hotfix than anything else, although it does containt two changes besides the settings.xml file being included in the download this time around. Please download the file from the first post to get the updated package.

yeah thanks for that. I just love to see other apps spammed in my single thread.

Well I 1st read your 1st post and noted " If one of them fits your needs better than NexPad, then I, myself, urge you to use whatever fits your criteria best."

So I thought about just sharing something I came accross once and kept looking at for a moment. Nobody is making money with either so it was just to give another idea for those looking for line numbers or something similar to yours that may fit better their needs like you said.

Sorry about that.. I can even edit my post and delete it if you want.

Eh, I'll see. That starts to get a little bloated. Something I'll consider but I can't promise.

Bloated? I don't think so, it's useful if you host your pages on another server, easier than editing with Notepad, then FlashFXP'ing it, etc... :)

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Is it possible to have it always open with 2 pads tiled horizontally? Say even if you open a text file, it will have that plus a blank one tiled underneath.. maybe asking for too much there but that would be a nice option for me.

Also, maybe possible to double click the tab bar to open a new pad or a new pad button on the tab bar?

I'm also looking forward to the line number, that would make it perfect for me.

Keep up the good work, looks nice :)

Here's a few ideas any good notepad replacement should have:

- Single Instance (ie. if I drag changelog.txt into the exe file it will start the program, now if I drag another txt file into the exe file, the file should be opened in the existing instance of the application)

- Context menu for each tabs, with basic functions like Close, Save, Open etc

- Menu items that currently have no use should disable themselfs (ie. disable the Paste menu item if there is no text data in the clipboard)

- More extensive context menu on the text editor control

- Toolbar with core functionality should be nice

- Option to search all tab windows for the find function is always useful

- Text Control is not set to accept TAB commands

- Where the hell is print?

- Syntax Highlighting is nice function, but might go beyond the scope of this application

- Cursor X,Y position is always good to know

There are lots more, but thats a start.

edit: Oh yea, if I make a change and then exit the application and click Cancel on the save prompt, it still exists. Fix that.

edit: The above problem about it still exiting only happens sometimes. However, sometimes an IndexOutOfRange exception occurs as well. Look into that.

Edited by virtorio

Working on, for next release:

Print option

Tab context menu

Textboxes accept tab

Disabled menu options when not applicable

Will look into app closing on cancel

and perhaps single instance

I will not be adding in any toolbars. That is one thing that I hate and do not want in my app at all. Syntax highlighting is unlikely but not completely out of the question.

edit: I found out why the closing on cancel happens. It happens when you have more than one tab open and only one has content that has been changed. I need to think out how exactly I'm going to work through it where if a user clicks cancel it restores the closed tabs.

Liquid helped me track down a method in which I could use a temp file to print from which will work. That is a lot easier than learning a whole ne language such as delphi.

Real nice program. One thing I would suggest from using it for a few hours would be that it needs a right click option on the tabs at the bottom. This way the user could quickly right click and close the tab instead of having to go all the way to the top to click the X.

I realllly value the tile feature in this program. Good for the css editing. Its just a little slow starting up. Other than that good job.

,Oct 2 2004, 22:40] Real nice program. One thing I would suggest from using it for a few hours would be that it needs a right click option on the tabs at the bottom. This way the user could quickly right click and close the tab instead of having to go all the way to the top to click the X.

I realllly value the tile feature in this program. Good for the css editing. Its just a little slow starting up. Other than that good job.

1) The context menu for tabs will be in 0.2.

2) Slow startup has to do with .net framework being a little slow. I could possibly release two version: Framework 1.1 and one compiled in 2.0 which is much faster.

1) The context menu for tabs will be in 0.2.

2) Slow startup has to do with .net framework being a little slow. I could possibly release two version: Framework 1.1 and one compiled in 2.0 which is much faster.

I agree on the change to 2.0 (if it isn't too much work) I have seen a few programs benefit greatly from the change.. alot of them with over 200% performance gain.

Tell you the truth - the startup time improved the 2nd time around. Probably just allocated already as recently used.. dunno.

The only problem with using 2.0 is that many people don't have it. It's a beta framework, but I'll probably do a dual compile to compensate.

so you guys know, I got printing working. I had to resort to a 3rd party open source printing class. Man what a bitch to do such a simple task. I had 3 people helping me last night and none of us, all with decent experence, could even get close.

NexPad 0.2 is release. This is the changelog:

- tab is now accepted in textbox

- nonapplicable menu items are disabled

- Print option now available

- context menu added to tabs

- Fixed incorrect prompts to save even though text did not change

- Fixed possible crash on program exit (index out of range)

I've tested it quite a bit and it seems stable. The main bug about crashing after cancelling an exit has been fixed. -=SD=-, so you know, I am working on implementing a feature to open multiple pads at the beginning. I'm, more or less, just trying to figure out how to include it in the UI without cluttering things or slowing down startup.

Download the updated package from the first post