FireFox or Opera ?

578 members have voted

1. 1. FireFox or Opera ?

• Firefox
    • Opera

The thing that everyone seems to forget about these browser flame wars is that Firefox is an infant compared to Opera and IE. Opera and IE should be leaps and bounds ahead of Firefox in every aspect of the browser world, but they aren't. Firefox is comparable and in some instances, better than IE and Opera. Atleast Opera still cares about their browser, but the fee will forever hold it back (yes, I know technically that its free, but who wants a third of their browser window filled with ads?) . IE, on the other hand, has basically been the same browser for the past few years (yes, they added a popup blocker and a few other band aids, big deal!). Until Microsoft starts to care about IE again and you can surf with it without getting loaded with BHO's, viruses and spyware and until Opera is totally free and free of ads, Firefox will continue its climb to the top.

The thing that everyone seems to forget about these browser flame wars is that Firefox is an infant compared to Opera and IE.  Opera and IE should be leaps and bounds ahead of Firefox in every aspect of the browser world, but they aren't.  Firefox is comparable and in some instances, better than IE and Opera.  Atleast Opera still cares about their browser, but the fee will forever hold it back (yes, I know technically that its free, but who wants a third of their browser window filled with ads?) .  IE, on the other hand, has basically been the same browser for the past few years (yes, they added a popup blocker and a few other band aids, big deal!).  Until Microsoft starts to care about IE again and you can surf with it without getting loaded with BHO's, viruses and spyware and until Opera is totally free and free of ads, Firefox will continue its climb to the top.

585404779[/snapback]

As has been covered COUNTLESS times in this thread is that Opera 6 was a complete rewrite, so Opera is not THAT much older. You also seem to forget that Firefox is built on Mozilla, which owes some of it's origins to good ol' Netscape. (Try reading back a couple of pages :rolleyes:)

Interesting how these "geek wars" keep reinventing themselves. I guess this is something like the third browser war, the first being Mosaic vs. Netscape, then Netscape vs. IE, and now Opera vs. Firefox. Personally I enjoyed far more the PC vs. Mac war, and not to forget the Windows vs. UNIX/Linux wars.

As has been covered COUNTLESS times in this thread  is that Opera 6 was a complete rewrite, so Opera is not THAT much older. You also seem to forget that Firefox is built on Mozilla, which owes some of it's origins to good ol' Netscape. (Try reading back a couple of pages :rolleyes:)

585404827[/snapback]

Rewrite or not they still charge to use it (again, I know that its free with the ads) and there are quite a few things that are still the same which makes it an updated browser, not 100% new. Opera IS better than IE. Yes, Firefox has some Mozilla (Netscape) in it. but, download all three sometime and tell me what they have in common. Netscape and Mozilla are "heavy" browsers that are almost non customizable and fairly slow compared to Opera, IE and Firefox.

Rewrite or not they still charge to use it (again, I know that its free with the ads) and there are quite a few things that are still the same which makes it an updated browser, not 100% new.  Opera IS better than IE.  Yes, Firefox has some Mozilla (Netscape) in it.  but, download all three sometime and tell me what they have in common.  Netscape and Mozilla are "heavy" browsers that are almost non customizable and fairly slow compared to Opera, IE and Firefox.

585404922[/snapback]

Actually, they rewrote a LOT with 7.0 and even more with 8.0.

Firefox was based off of mozilla, which was based off of netscape. It's code-base is quite old, as is shown by comments on the code from the 1990s. Firefox makes complete use of The Gecko Rendering engine (Mozilla) and XUL (Mozilla). They only new thing they really offered is the plug-in system (which is definately nice).

Your argument has been refuted before and is FUD. Stop.

Actually, they rewrote a LOT with 7.0 and even more with 8.0.

Firefox was based off of mozilla, which was based off of netscape.  It's code-base is quite old, as is shown by comments on the code from the 1990s.  Firefox makes complete use of The Gecko Rendering engine (Mozilla) and XUL (Mozilla).  They only new thing they really offered is the plug-in system (which is definately nice). 

Your argument has been refuted before and is FUD.  Stop.

585404951[/snapback]

I never said that Firefox wasn't Mozilla, I know that, my diploma says I know these things :D . If a Ford F-150 has the same motor in it as the Mustang, does that make the F-150 as fast as the Mustang? No. Because the F-150 is heavier and bloated. I've tested the Mozilla based browsers and Opera at my computer shop and Firefox is a third faster than Netscape and Mozilla and twice as fastt as IE and slightly faster than Opera.

(Thought I'd throw Opera in because you are an Opera user).

Your diploma says you graduated, nothing more. Don't act like it makes you know more than anyone else. Of course Firefox is faster than Mozilla! No one is arguing that! They did a wonderful job stripping down Netscape.

But that does not change the fact that it's core is Mozilla code. It's rendering engine and UI engine ARE mozilla code, plain and simple fact. Your F150/mustang argument holds no water.

Again, the point we are refuting of yours is that Opera is "older code" and should be "more mature" and firefox is "new" and "still maturing". I think it's already been shown in this thread to be false.

The thing that everyone seems to forget about these browser flame wars is that Firefox is an infant compared to Opera and IE.  Opera and IE should be leaps and bounds ahead of Firefox in every aspect of the browser world, but they aren't.  Firefox is comparable and in some instances, better than IE and Opera.  Atleast Opera still cares about their browser, but the fee will forever hold it back (yes, I know technically that its free, but who wants a third of their browser window filled with ads?) .  IE, on the other hand, has basically been the same browser for the past few years (yes, they added a popup blocker and a few other band aids, big deal!).  Until Microsoft starts to care about IE again and you can surf with it without getting loaded with BHO's, viruses and spyware and until Opera is totally free and free of ads, Firefox will continue its climb to the top.

585404779[/snapback]

You don't know what you're talking about.

FF infant compared to Opera or IE? The argument has been debunked many times.

A third of browser window filled with ads in Opera? I thought your diploma said you should know this thing.

Firefox will continue its climb to the top? What's your point? Market share does not represent quality.

I never said that Firefox wasn't Mozilla, I know that, my diploma says I know these things  :D .

585405038[/snapback]

Let's just shut down Neowin, you guys. This fellow has a diploma.

A DIPLOMA! DO YOU REALISE THE INCREDIBLE SIGNIFICANCE OF THIS? HE'S MENTIONED IT SIX TIMES IN THIS THREAD ALONE. THAT'S HOW COOL IT IS, YOU GUYS.

Now let's all stop arguing, realise what feeble minds we truly have, and just bow. And be thankful that we have such a wise, distinguished academic amongst us.

Netscape and Mozilla are "heavy" browsers that are almost non customizable and fairly slow compared to Opera, IE and Firefox.

585404922[/snapback]

Firefox is Mozilla, << removed >>. Your diploma mustn't be very good, as you can't see that it's called MOZILLA Firefox.

I mean......your posts are the dumbest things that I have read today....if I had less self control and was a little more tired I'd probably tell you to << removed >>.

Instead, I'm going to recommend for you to sue the Education establishment.

Edited by markjensen

Let's just shut down Neowin, you guys. This fellow has a diploma.

A DIPLOMA! DO YOU REALISE THE INCREDIBLE SIGNIFICANCE OF THIS? HE'S MENTIONED IT SIX TIMES IN THIS THREAD ALONE. THAT'S HOW COOL IT IS, YOU GUYS.

Now let's all stop arguing, realise what feeble minds we truly have, and just bow. And be thankful that we have such a wise, distinguished academic amongst us.

585405959[/snapback]

:rofl: Long live todbran!!!

overall speed wise ... opera is probably best... but for me i like firefox cause it's free and i like it's interface better and it's cleaner and simpler than opera is.

although after a few tweaks etc... i could argue that firefox is close if not he same as opera.

just my thoughts.

The thing that everyone seems to forget about these browser flame wars is that Firefox is an infant compared to Opera and IE.  Opera and IE should be leaps and bounds ahead of Firefox in every aspect of the browser world, but they aren't.  Firefox is comparable and in some instances, better than IE and Opera.

What you are conveniently ignoring is that while Opera has gradually improved over time, and added new things as necessary, Firefox has been able to add all these things in one go because Opera already invented them. Software is not like people, that mature, and everyone takes a lot of time to learn new things, etc. Browsers are software. It gets the features you program it to get, and you can do everything in one go.

And of course, Firefox is based on Mozilla, which is several years old. And Opera 7 was a complete rewrite.

So yours is simply a nonsensical argument which does not hold water, and it kind of shows how little you understand about software development :no:

Atleast Opera still cares about their browser, but the fee will forever hold it back (yes, I know technically that its free, but who wants a third of their browser window filled with ads?) .

This is a pure troll. The ad does not take up a third of the screen.

although after a few tweaks etc... i could argue that firefox is close if not he same as opera.

585406978[/snapback]

Heh, yeah :)

Here's my Opera, although it should have more stuff in the personal bar, but it's the basic layout I use. However, there are disadvantages with this browser, not in speed, but in lack of extension support (and no, it doesn't come with everything I want pre-packaged; I think that's not a good thing to aim for either since it becomes cluttered if they try to please everyone).

Firefox is Mozilla, idiot. Your diploma mustn't be very good, as you can't see that it's called MOZILLA Firefox.

No, Seamonkey is one browser, Firefox another. What people generally mean with "Mozilla" when speaking of browsers, they mean the browser code named Seamonkey part of the Mozilla Suite, which is everything but Firefox. Both are made by the same team though, but just like MICROSOFT Outlook and MICROSOFT Word aren't the same apps, these aren't either. Firefox branched of Seamonkey a long time ago now and have unique features, and vice versa. Firefox isn't a subset / "light" version of Seamonkey either. And please stop insulting people, this thread is bad enough already.

post-21023-1107437483_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jugalator

OH jesus. What don't you understand? Firefox uses GECKO which is the Mozilla rendering engine. The Mozilla team is the one that did most of the code for it. Firefox also uses XUL, which was another Mozilla thing.

Do you get it yet?

Really?

Doesn't sound quite like it. Make up your mind...?:whistle::

585126164[/snapback]

I never said that Firefox wasn't Mozilla, I know that, my diploma says I know these things?:D:D .?  If a Ford F-150 has the same motor in it as the Mustang, does that make the F-150 as fast as the Mustang?? No.? Because the F-150 is heavier and bloated.? I've tested the Mozilla based browsers and Opera at my computer shop and Firefox is a third faster than Netscape and Mozilla and twice as fastt as IE and slightly faster than Opera.

(Thought I'd throw Opera in because you are an Opera user).

585405038[/snapback]

Oh..look who'se back.

Click on the snapback in the initial quote and see, maybe you forgot to answer:rolleyes:leyes:

I know it's most likely been said but if Opera would lower it's price say to about 20 bucks i think it would be more popular.

585407848[/snapback]

It's $20 for students.
I guess , opera must be an open source application like FF, then it will be more popular and better.

Just my opinion  :)

585408677[/snapback]

More popular? Maybe. Better? No. Open source != better.

I guess , opera must be an open source application like FF, then it will be more popular and better.

Just my opinion  :)

585408677[/snapback]

Open-source doesn't say anything about quality. To me, Opera is far better than Firefox. So by your logic, Firefox would be better if it was closed-source?

Open-source doesn't say anything about quality. To me, Opera is far better than Firefox. So by your logic, Firefox would be better if it was closed-source?

585412032[/snapback]

I dint mean that..., most of them wont go for opera because it is not free...many of the post there in the thread shows light on this....

Just want to tell that it will become more popular.