FireFox or Opera ?

578 members have voted

1. 1. FireFox or Opera ?

• Firefox
    • Opera

Opera is free to use , but it has some very irritation ads at the top (nagware ,in my opinion) , which now supports GIF's and google ads. (N)

Do i need a browser, which is to be sponsered?  :no:

LoL  :rofl:

99 days and 25 million downloads for FF! And did opera v. 8 create any sort of sensation like FF did?

Did i ever tell like that? I like FF, so i use it, not because of 25 million downloads.

585487033[/snapback]

You can use textads, which isn't animated :rolleyes:

Opera haven't got the same impressive statistics as FF, but popularity doesn't make it better. Opera have numerous awards of "best browser".

Opera 8 isn't finished yet.... it's still only in beta 1 fase.

99 days and 25 million downloads for FF! And did opera v. 8 create any sort of sensation like FF did?

Has Opera 8 been released yet?

Is Opera at v1.0, just released, with much over-hype?

Did i ever tell like that? I like FF, so i use it, not because of 25 million downloads.

Then why make a point out of being one of the "cool Firefox d00dz"?

I don't. I get all the best features, smoothly integrated in a small and fast package: Opera.

Good for you. I find browsing much more efficient in Opera than any other browser, simply because it has things like an extensive set of keyboard shortcuts, mouse gestures, proper MDI, hotclick, fast forward, continue from last time when restarting, and so on.

Maybe you don't need power browser features because you don't care much about efficiency. But I do.

585486456[/snapback]

I do care about efficiency. That's why I use one of the most efficient OS's, OS X, and what I think is one of the most efficient browsers, Safari. If I wanted all those features you're talking about (except MDI; MDI is way overrated in Opera and really is an idiotic and inefficient window system), I would be using OmniWeb, a WebCore shell. Thing is, I don't need those features. Safari provides me with just enough to keep it simple and keep me efficient.

i got tired of firefox and went back to opera... but then opera started to royaly pi$$ me off so i downloaded FF again and not gonna change no mo FF all the way

You know... people keep bringing up that Firefox is FREE FREE FREE! And that they like using software which is FREE.

There is a reason why open-source projects tend to fail. People refuse to donate because they want all their software for FREE, so the author(s) end up having little to no reason to continue their project(s) and they die.

If you use free software and you've never donated at least once to some of that which you use most, you are a despicable human being. You are a leech. If you use a product all the time, DONATE! Even a one-time $5 or $10 donation helps.

Hmm, vcv, why are you calling names like leech, despicable human beings, etc...

You all talk abt popular products may not be good (than the competitive one) , in my opinion, even paid apps maynot be better than the free ones...

vcv, i cant imagine the way , you argue.... :)

I do care about efficiency. That's why I use one of the most efficient OS's, OS X, and what I think is one of the most efficient browsers, Safari.

Surfing with Safari is like taking a swim with a chain around your neck. Even though Apple broke its own GUI guidelines with Safari ;)

If I wanted all those features you're talking about (except MDI; MDI is way overrated in Opera and really is an idiotic and inefficient window system), I would be using OmniWeb, a WebCore shell. Thing is, I don't need those features. Safari provides me with just enough to keep it simple and keep me efficient.

In the world of browsers, simple != efficient, unfortunately :)

Depends which OS. On a Mac, Safari owns all, PC, Firefox is tons better than Opera.

Apart from being bigger, slower, less functional, less stable, and having worse page rendering, you mean? ;)

honestly, if you could give just tell me how to block ads in Opera, I would probably consider switching back to it fulltime.

585487683[/snapback]

Eh... Hi,

How about browsing in full screen mode and just activating some relevant bars?

Eh... Hi,

585487703[/snapback]

Maybe he means ad's on webpages :rolleyes:

Try reading this link: https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=267940

It works pretty much the same as the adblock extension for firefox :) (Dosent leave a white gap like the normal filter.ini trick)

Eh... Hi,

585487703[/snapback]

Maybe he means ad's on webpages  :rolleyes:

Try reading this link: https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=267940

It works pretty much the same as the adblock extension for firefox :) (Dosent leave a white gap like the normal filter.ini trick)

585487710[/snapback]

Yes, you are right, I did mean ads on pages, not in actual Firefox, ha. I will try this method out and see how it works.

:blush:  hehe, I miss read that.

Anyway, I'm going to try that css option. But I don't have a problem with leaving the white space of the ad.

585487753[/snapback]

It looks a lot cleaner without the gap, trust me :)

Yes, you are right, I did mean ads on pages, not in actual Firefox, ha.  I will try this method out and see how it works.

585487823[/snapback]

You mean opera? :p

Hmm, vcv, why are you calling names like leech, despicable human beings, etc...

You all talk abt popular products may not be good (than the competitive one) , in my opinion, even paid apps maynot be better than the free ones...

vcv, i cant imagine the way , you argue.... :)

585487575[/snapback]

I think you missed my point. I didn't call anyone here names directly. I said anyone who continues to promote open-source and free software but has never in their life donated at least a little bit, even just once, is a leech and a despicable human being, and I stand by that.

Surfing with Safari is like taking a swim with a chain around your neck. Even though Apple broke its own GUI guidelines with Safari ;)

585487587[/snapback]

Maybe for you, but for me I feel as though it is the fastest and most efficient browser out there (and fastest actually is true; I've had my PowerBook running Safari beat my P4 2.8GHz HT running Opera in plenty of tests). I like a lean browser. Maybe you don't, but I do. Lean here doesn't mean resource usage (although Safari takes up much less resources than Opera). It means feature-set. I like my feature-set simple. The ability to expand doesn't really matter for me, but SIMBL does give me that ability.

Maybe for you, but for me I feel as though it is the fastest and most efficient browser out there (and fastest actually is true; I've had my PowerBook running Safari beat my P4 2.8GHz HT running Opera in plenty of tests). I like a lean browser. Maybe you don't, but I do. Lean here doesn't mean resource usage (although Safari takes up much less resources than Opera). It means feature-set. I like my feature-set simple. The ability to expand doesn't really matter for me, but SIMBL does give me that ability.

585489813[/snapback]

I completely agree. I don't actually own a Mac (yet), but any time that I've used one, and used Safari, it felt like the easiest and fastest to use. I love Firefox, but if Safari were available for Windows I'd use it immediately.

firefox definitely has a better feature list - find as you type, quick search from address bar ("google searchitem" in addressbar), about:config, easier customization, gecko engine, just to name a few. tbh, opera is faster loading, etc than firefox and has its "cool effects", less ram usage..must we also keep in mind that opera has advertisements in the program unless you pay $39USD...

Um. Opera has 'find as you type'. They INVENTED it, in fact.

And they do have searching from the address bar. If i type 'g hay' it pops up a Google search for 'hay'.

And i can't imagine how you think Firetruck has better customisation. I think even the biggest Firefox fan should be able to see that Opera has them beat in that area, at least as far as out-of-the-box stuff goes. (You can't change mouse and keyboard shortcuts through the preferences panel in Firefox; you can in Opera. There are almost zero tab/window options in Firefox without extra extensions (which apparently don't work very well and make the browser really slow); Opera has lots of them.)

Unless you're talking about the extensions thing, in which case i guess i can't really argue that....

Um. Opera has 'find as you type'. They INVENTED it, in fact.

And they do have searching from the address bar. If i type 'g hay' it pops up a Google search for 'hay'.

And i can't imagine how you think Firetruck has better customisation. I think even the biggest Firefox fan should be able to see that Opera has them beat in that area, at least as far as out-of-the-box stuff goes. (You can't change mouse and keyboard shortcuts through the preferences panel in Firefox; you can in Opera. There are almost zero tab/window options in Firefox without extra extensions (which apparently don't work very well and make the browser really slow); Opera has lots of them.)

Unless you're talking about the extensions thing, in which case i guess i can't really argue that....

585491680[/snapback]

well, sorry but i had no idea it had those features...i tried it for about 10 mins and decided it wasnt really worth my time trying to figure it out (like in the other thread with jaggededge)...it took me a relatively long amount of time to find where all the options were as compared to firefox.

as for your comment about the browser going slow when loading with extensions: i have no idea what kinda computer you're using that would load a browser slow. firefox has run fine and speedy with pretty much any computer i've used...opera has a slight speed improvement in areas..either way...you still need to remember that there is a long or giant or however big the other one is advertisement in opera unless you pay $39 USD for it..thats quite a bit of cash for a browser: need i say, a tool that should be free and standard.

both opera and firefox has their ups and downs, but my own self preference would take firefox..not just extensions but other features...last thing is..the gecko engine. if every browser used the gecko engine i would never have the headaches and long nights of trying to fix issues with web pages in IE engine based pages..if the code is right, it shows up right in gecko based browsers

EDIT: opera has its own engine, but still shows webpages that i have created with errors (looks the same as in IE) while the gecko engine didnt.