FireFox or Opera ?

578 members have voted

1. 1. FireFox or Opera ?

• Firefox
    • Opera

Who siad, FF is slow when u add in extensions?

I have atleast 5-7 extensions installed and i have only 128 mb ram , p3 800 Mhz processor.

Thats not true, lav, Extension or no extensions, FF will work in the same way.

well, sorry but i had no idea it had those features...i tried it for about 10 mins and decided it wasnt really worth my time trying to figure it out
Then why are you in a thread about Firefox v. Opera trying to say Opera does this but doesn't do that? Leave that to those of us who actually use Opera.
it took me a relatively long amount of time to find where all the options were as compared to firefox.
Yeah, it's a bit tough finding options at first. But you get used to it. Not to mention the fact that some of the stuff you may have been looking for can be access with Quick Preferences (F12).
as for your comment about the browser going slow when loading with extensions:
I think he's speaking of (a) TBE known to cause stability issues with FF (b) Firefox can not handle multiple tabs open at once as well as Opera. Moving between tabs and opening new ones is always speedy in Opera, but tends to be laggy in FF especially if you're loading a page.
you still need to remember that there is a long or giant or however big the other one is advertisement in opera unless you pay $39 USD for it..thats quite a bit of cash for a browser: need i say, a tool that should be free and standard.
$39 is more than fair I think! A web browser is probably the most used piece of software on average by computer users, aside from maybe Office or Solitaire ;) If you don't think $39 (or $25 for a discounted license that you can grab sometimes, and $20 if you're a student) is worth a better browsing experience*, well, sorry. Yeah, continue using FF, that's fine. But some of us are happy with paying for it.
EDIT: opera has its own engine, but still shows webpages that i have created with errors (looks the same as in IE) while the gecko engine didnt.
Well w/o seeing these pages, its very unfair to Opera. For all we know, you could be using invalid code that FF just happens to handle in quirks mode to make IE users happy. How about showing us some of these pages?

My experience is that Opera and FF are about equal on CSS support. They both have certain pages that render wrong.. but that's how it goes. A web browser rendering engine is complicated, really freaking complicated. It's to be expected.

Who siad, FF is slow when u add in extensions?

I have atleast 5-7 extensions installed and i have only 128 mb ram , p3 800 Mhz processor.

Thats not true, lav, Extension or no extensions, FF will work in the same way.

585491740[/snapback]

I had to install 20+ extensions to get a similar experience that I'd get in Opera, and I did notice a little bit of a slowdown, mostly notably moving between tabs, opening new tabs, and loading many pages at once. I do all of this in Opera with quickness and precision, I'm so used to it, that any other browser frustrates me.

All-in-One Gestures

Single Window 1.0

Paste and Go

FLST 0.6

Session Saver

Add Bookmark Here

HTML Validator

User Agent Switcher

ViewSourceWith

ReloadEvery

Image-Show-Hide

Print Preview

QuickNote

Translate

Plain Text Links

DictionarySearch

Tabbrowser Preferences

MinimizeToTray

Rewind/Fastforward Buttons (crippled)

Stop/Reload

I know I'm missing a few too. I honestly need all of those extensions to use the same features I use in Opera. And some are very crippled. And that doesn't even cover everything either.

Edited by vcv

I had to install 20+ extensions to get a similar experience that I'd get in Opera, and I did notice a little bit of a slowdown, mostly notably moving between tabs, opening new tabs, and loading many pages at once.  I do all of this in Opera with quickness and precision, I'm so used to it, that any other browser frustrates me.

585491760[/snapback]

Yes, I agree that you will have to install about 15 extension or so, to get in the features that opera provide...

Even in my configuration i dont experience any slow down..., these extension are very small in size..., even the biggest extension is around 300kb only.

I've never got 20 extensions installed on Firefox because half of the ones i did try to install gave me XML errors. -_-

But yes, i was talking about the 'Tab Browser Extensions' thing. I've never used the extensions myself (which is why i used the word 'apparently'), but i have seen threads here on Neowin discussing how Tab Browser Extensions makes Firetruck so unbearable that people eventually just stop using it. I don't know why or how, that's just what i'd heard. My point stands even if it weren't true.

The tabbed browser prefference is the biggest extension and thats the one which is around 300kb.

But it has a very good set of features...

* Session saver

* toogle between the tabs, by just placing in the mouse in the tabs.

* closing tabs easier, by not right clicking it.

etc...

Even this one dint have any effect on the speed, trust me :)

EDIT: opera has its own engine, but still shows webpages that i have created with errors (looks the same as in IE) while the gecko engine didnt.

There can be many reasons for that. Why are you automatically blaming Opera? Maybe you are using a bad doctype declaration which turns on quirks mode in Opera, which makes it behave more like IE. Maybe Firefox has bugs that you are taking advantage of, and these bugs don't exist in Opera or IE.

Um. Opera has 'find as you type'. They INVENTED it, in fact.

585491680[/snapback]

I'm assuming its available in Opera 7.6 then? I can't see anything in the find dialog, how can I enable/use it?

^Press ctrl + f, it will change the Google Search drop down box into FAYT mode :)

at least, this is what it dose in opera 8 beta 1, never really tried it in any other versions.

I'm assuming its available in Opera 7.6 then? I can't see anything in the find dialog, how can I enable/use it?

585492775[/snapback]

You just... start... typing.... It's really annoying, actually, i hate it. :/

edit:

I guess you have to press . first. Make sure the focus is on the page instead of the URL thing though. <_<

FAYT has been there for ages but nobody actually noticed it. I think it even was in O6. Press . or / for it. There's lots of undocumented features only few users know of, for an example I've just noticed a few months ago that middle/doubleclick on the pagebar opens a new tab. Kinda sucks :pinch:

. = find text

/ = find text

shift-/ = find links

I don't know much about it or to customize it since I don't use it.

browsers.gif

This is the browser share of my blog. I think this pretty much explains it. (This represents 373 visitors)

585511870[/snapback]

It explains that people visiting your site using Opera are in the minority. That was your point wasn't it?

Well yeah my point was that out of 373 average visitors, only 9% use Opera. I think that shows that either people are caught up too much in the Firefox hype, or they plainly just dont like Opera.

Well yeah my point was that out of 373 average visitors, only 9% use Opera. I think that shows that either people are caught up too much in the Firefox hype, or they plainly just dont like Opera.

585511913[/snapback]

Ah I see. Because something is in the minority it is immediately inferior, good thinking.

585511913[/snapback]

seems quite a few people like it from the poll...

personally, i think it owns firefox in every way. and opera doesnt get spammed all over the internet as much as lamer FF users do. its almost like they're insecure about it.

Edited by predator001