Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD

Ya.. I have no idea why people say there isn't blurring. My friend has an insane LCD he paid lots for I have no idea if it's 8ms or 12ms but I didn't notice blurring as I wasn't really looking for it at the time but I will have to look again because I remember getting a bit sick and while moving around in CS it seemed "different" for my eyes as if it wasn't quite right... now I think I know why. But ya, I tried some in store LCD's and they were terrible. They actually left a trail if you moved a window... I have to accept the blurring, but a trail is just too much. I can't see any trailing on the Dell, maybe about .1inch or just a miniscule trail with fast motion, otherwise it's just the transitional blurs.

Again, if I go to a store or something and try out a 8ms and 12ms an 16 and compare it should make me feel better hopefully... and amaze me at all the "no ghosting" remarks people seem to have. It does make me sick a bit, but once I am engaged in the game it's not that bad... but still sticks out like a sore thumb. I even notice blurring on TV's and theatre screens now! I never did before but War of the Worlds made me see so much blurring. I hope I am not getting uber sensative because of this LCD :p

Thanks for answering me the revision #, but that aint the most important.  The most important part is, has it fixed the problems you guys are all complaining about?

dL

586189921[/snapback]

No, the A02 still has backbleeding problems (certain ones).

Ya.. I have no idea why people say there isn't blurring. My friend has an insane LCD he paid lots for I have no idea if it's 8ms or 12ms but I didn't notice blurring as I wasn't really looking for it at the time but I will have to look again because I remember getting a bit sick and while moving around in CS it seemed "different" for my eyes as if it wasn't quite right... now I think I know why. But ya, I tried some in store LCD's and they were terrible. They actually left a trail if you moved a window... I have to accept the blurring, but a trail is just too much. I can't see any trailing on the Dell, maybe about .1inch or just a miniscule trail with fast motion, otherwise it's just the transitional blurs.

Again, if I go to a store or something and try out a 8ms and 12ms an 16 and compare it should make me feel better hopefully... and amaze me at all the "no ghosting" remarks people seem to have. It does make me sick a bit, but once I am engaged in the game it's not that bad... but still sticks out like a sore thumb. I even notice blurring on TV's and theatre screens now! I never did before but War of the Worlds made me see so much blurring. I hope I am not getting uber sensative because of this LCD :p

586199293[/snapback]

That's enough reasons to get a brand new one from dell... just call them

Oddcrap, I really don't believe this is an issue with the monitor or a Dell problem. I will be checking out LCD's in a store and my friends and compare. I am curious at this point, but I also don't believe an LCD can have 0 ghosting without a 1ms refresh or at least 2-3ms because a millisecond is not a short interval of time when talking about a fast moving picture by any means.

I think the backlight problem is mainly due to heat issue on the monitor... as on my old 19" CRT samsung monitor, when it's getting too hot on the back, the screen start to shaking and resize itself then went back to normal then do the whole process again... so i then put a regular computer 80mm case fan on the back of it and it never did that again...

has someone try to put like a small fan behind their 2005FPW???

and when does this backlight all starting out? is it when you first got it brand new and turn it on? or does it appear when you have use it for like a days or a week? anyways, just got my 2005FPW and I can already feel the heat behind the back of the monitor, really hot and i'm afraid that is the main cuase of the backlight leakage... anyways, it seems like my monitor has no backlight issue as of yet and 0 dead Pixel either...

Revision: A02 June 2005

- goodluckz everyone!!! :D

shaking and resize itself then went back to normal then do the whole process again

Hm...sounds a lot like repetitive degaussing/size adjustment...wonder why heat does that to a monitor :huh:

Now I really want a bigger monitor, but definitely not a widescreen one. Their odd resolutions and, um, widescreen ratios are too much for me. I don't like panoramic video :no:

okay, i have use it for like 2 hours now, the back is getting hotter than before but there is still no backlight, not even a little bit that i could see... hmm... but maybe i should wait till a week of usage is pass... anyways, does anyone in here has the same revision as mine and same manufactor date too? Revision: A02 June 2005

I am from Denmark and just bought the 2005fpw - GREAT SCREEN !!!

Special price in June: 4200 kr. which is 565 Euro (normal price was at that time 800 Euro). (keeping in mind that we have 25% Vat included in the price).

It has some backlight problems at the left lower corner, which made me call Dell in Denmark. The screen has no dead / not working pixels and is an A01 - May 2005 - Made in UK.

Dell now switched the monitor 3 times - and every time I told them to send me an A02 - they came with an A01 every time.

So the screens went back again :no:

Now the case moved to "Mentor" level at Dell - Seems that the people on the phones can't make this kind of heavy decisions, so they forwarded it to their Mentor. And now they will make sure that I receive an A02 screen. Lets see :rolleyes:

They are very helpful at Dell support, but when they are re-ordering the screens, they can not make sure of the (A0X) version. They can only write it in the comment field and hope that the warehouse sees it.

Anyway - when you are quoting your Rev A0X version - please also inform where the screen is made (like Mexico or UK etc).

Has anyone here in Europe received a A02 made in UK ??? - Or is it only Mexico making the A02???

For all of you who have doubts on buying this screen ? DON?T it is surely a great screen ? would never change back to a 4:3 screen again. I also had doubts before buying it, but I am a happy man now after receiving it. (I came from a Dell 19" CRT flat screen !!! - And I using the screens for FPS games and normal work).

And for all of you playing Battlefield 2 on this screen ? please be so kind a forward a mail to www.EA.com and www.Dice.se (info@dice.se) telling them about the importance of making a patch supporting 1680x1050 resolution. It looks great now, but would be perfect at the correct resolution. Most of the big games support this resolution ? only BF2 needs to have an update.

Lets all make pressure so they can see how many we are.

Mike from Denmark

Edited by MikeDK

okay, i have use it for like 2 hours now, the back is getting hotter than before but there is still no backlight, not even a little bit that i could see... hmm... but maybe i should wait till a week of usage is pass... anyways, does anyone in here has the same revision as mine and same manufactor date too? Revision: A02 June 2005

586203323[/snapback]

After 2 hours of use the backlight leaking was very clear.

Lanvo where are you in the world?

Edited by Andr3w

Hello MikeDK.

I am from spain and I have received this monday mi first 2005fpw with backlight for all the corners, compare with the other friends with 2005fpw, I have more backlight.

The monitor is a A01 July 2005 , made in UK.It has been manufactured in this month and have backlight in all the corners , how the first units A00, to the last year.

I will call today to dell spain to change me... I they send me another with backlight in only 1 corner , I ACCEPT IT.

I think that in europe, it is impossible to receive an A02 made in mexico, because the factory for europe is UK and they only have A01 at this moment. And they don't go to receive !02 panels to mexico.

Sorry for my bad english please.

Hey calibra3

I just wanted to know if anyone here in Europe already received a A02 (made in UK). If not, then it is a waste of time for me to keep pressing Dell to send me a A02 - it will then never happen :)

I have a feeling that due to the heavy backlight problems in Mexico on the A00 and A01 they now solved it with the A02. But what about UK....I dont think we have the same problems like in Mexico, but still - maybe there is already A02 versions in Europe as well. When I am calling Dell in Denmark, they say that I need a A02 - so it seems that they already work with them here in Europe.

Let me hear if anyone has a A02 made in UK already.

Thanks a lot

MikeDK

By the way - GREAT SCREEN :woot:

People i got a Chaintech geforce Ti 4200 gfx card. Do you know if i can use widescreen resolutions with this card like 1680x1050, or whats the best resolution i can use with it?

Hey calibra3

I just wanted to know if anyone here in Europe already received a A02 (made in UK). If not, then it is a waste of time for me to keep pressing Dell to send me a A02 - it will then never happen  :)

I have a feeling that due to the heavy backlight problems in Mexico on the A00 and A01 they now solved it with the A02. But what about UK....I dont think we have the same problems like in Mexico, but still - maybe there is already A02 versions in Europe as well. When I am calling Dell in Denmark, they say that I need a A02 - so it seems that they already work with them here in Europe.

Let me hear if anyone has a A02 made in UK already.

Thanks a lot

MikeDK

By the way - GREAT SCREEN  :woot:

586206152[/snapback]

I have called today to DELL, for chage my tft by other and they send me the new monitor the next week, but I think that the new wil be another A01 of july.

I think that the factory of UK, they haven't A02 panels.because I have seen any european buyer in the forums with a A02..... if you??

when you receive it the new tft , please post here the results ,ok?

After 2 hours of use the backlight leaking was very clear.

Lanvo where are you in the world?

586205835[/snapback]

I'm from Texas, and i think Dell Warehouse was really close to me becuase even when i pick the free 3-5 days ground shipping, the package arrive at my door in 2 days so i check the tracking number and it said it was shipped from Austin, Texas which is only like 2 hour from my place.. It's funny how DHL delivered my package in 10AM in the morning which i'm still sleeping...

check to see if the area where backlight leakage appear is hot or not when you're touching it on the back of the monitor...

Can people quit asking about if their graphics cards support the resolution?? ALL new cards will, and most will if they are half decent and not built in graphics. :p

Oh, just noticed I haven't posted a pic of mine... heh... arrived last month.

2005fpw_640.jpg

586209844[/snapback]

That looks really dynamic :p

I am just going to ask... anybody who has an X800XT+... I run CS: Source and if I max everything out at 1680x1050 (all High settings/ 8x AA/ 16x AF) I get some lagging in certain maps. Especially de_dust, de_dust2... I consider anything that goes to 30 pretty laggy because it really affects the gameplay when you are always at 60fps and then it lags to 30-40... just wondering if it's just the card that can't handle it or my CPU or something. I have a 3000+ Newcastle s754 at 2.35GHz so that isn't that much of an issue... my RAM also up that high at 2-4-4-8. MOST maps don't lag at all and are a constant 60 (the refresh rate), but some can get intense in some areas. Even overclocked at well over 600 on the core and mem there is still that lagging in areas which upsets me. I put it down to 4x AA and 8x AF and it is BETTER and most maps DO NOT lag but still lags in de_dust. I am accrediting this to the high resolution but any comparisons would be nice ;)

Works fine with 6800 Ultra, your problem must be in radeon drivers or something. Can't be that processor or ram.

586209944[/snapback]

Cant wait to try it on my X850XT PE :p

Cant wait to try it on my X850XT PE
My next is going to be X300, 6200 or 6600 GT, I don't want to play games anymore so I will sell that before it's worth nothing. X300 had the best picture quality and it's passive cooled so maybe that :)