Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD

It seems like I've read that LCDs sometimes get a temporary burn in effect. I can't remember the details though. I'd be looking to get it returned though I guess since no one else has reported that.

I'd just recieve my DELL 2005FPW Revision: A02, May 2005, Made In Mexico and its absolutely beautiful and perfect. There is no light bleeding and no dead pixels. I am very happy and was kind of worried I was going to recieve a defective one but I didn't and I only played $508.28 including tax.

Had my 20 incher today and BOYYYYYY is dam hot! Clarity is amazing, jumping from my 17" samsung syncmaster tft.

586178659[/snapback]

Yeah, this does get quite hot.. I was cleaning it one day and if you feal the back of the monitor it feals like it's on fire, or about to catch fire :(

Yeah, this does get quite hot.. I was cleaning it one day and if you feal the back of the monitor it feals like it's on fire, or about to catch fire :(

586181389[/snapback]

I think he meant Hot as in sexy, stylish, amazing, i.e. he loves his new monitor.

Recieved 1 of 2 that I ordered yesterday, fast shipping. It was assembled in mexico, revA02.

Now it's friday 6pm and the other one hasn't shown up today, damn.

I wanted to set both of them up at the same time, but the one I DO have is calling me like a siren...

Will report back about backlight / dead pixels when I get them both setup.

I'm just wondering if the latest version of the 2005FPW fixes most of the backlight issues? I'm kinda iffy in buying this monitor if I'm forced to go through exchange after exchange just to get the right one.

Is the latest revision A03? And has it fixed those backlight bleeding etc. problems?

dL

586185556[/snapback]

A02 is the latest revison.

ULTRASHARP 2005FPW BACKLIGHT BLEEDING FIX

Just got my A02 rev. No dead pixels (woot), plenty of backlight bleeding (not woot). However, i did find a way to fix the backlighting. Here is what i did to fix my problem. Dont cry if it doesnt work for you!

1) I'm connected via DVI to NVIDIA GeForce6600GT

2) Turn down brightness on your monitor to 0 (its still bright as sin)

3) Display Properties >> Settings Tab >> GeForceTab

4) Select Color Correction

5) Turn brightness/gamma to 100

6) Turn contrast down to ~80% (or lower if you tolerate it)

7) Go to NVIDIA >> Tools and run the display optimization wizard

Walla, essentially what you just did was stop OVERPOWERING your girly-ass monitor with your big beefy videocard and then tweak the colors. This removed 90% of the back-bleeding and allowed me to actually use my monitor to play Doom3!

I got this idea from someoen else on this thread. The contrast is essentially WAYY too high. I havent even touched ANALOG so i have no idea how this works with it.

Note: After looking at your bright ass monitor for the last umpteen weeks this, is going to look a little off at first. I assure you that it is not, browse the web or play a game for an hour and then return to your crazy original settings and you will see what i mean. Believe it or not this actually gave me better gradients and color reproduction (as compared to pantone) in photoshop.

Let others know if this helped! (I really hope it does because backlight bleeding is ANNOYING)

This doesnt 100% fix the problem (only mfg is gonna do that). But it does mitigate it to a reasonable level. I'm really quite annoyed at this problem because it prevents me from playing DARK video games or watching DARK movies. I didnt even know i had the problem until i fired up DOOM3 (it made me want to cry).

I could probably return this monitor to Dell, but we all know how much of a pain in the arse that is. Especially with no dead pixels. It doesnt sound like people got acceptable returns even on their 2nd or 3rd replacement units.

It looks like a nice monitor, but why are the resolutions so crappy compared to laptops? My 15.4" laptop can go up to 1920x1200, but i decided to go with 1680x1050. It's pretty bright for a laptop, too, and it's also quite thin, unlike the "thick" desktop LCD monitors. Definitely no CRT, but I just don't understand.

OK...

After having this baby for several weeks now, I think I need to shed light on something.

THERE IS GHOSTING! AND IT IS NOT VERY SUBTLE EITHER!

At VERY VERY first I didn't notice it... I don't know why, I was tied up with the quality and size of the monitor. Little by little it stuck out more and more... maybe mines defective, WHO KNOWS all I know is that there is ghosting, and it's not huge trails but just a small, .1 inch blur that occurs everytime something on the screen is moving... this includes windows, games, scrolling, etc. For those of you with this monitor, try this.. just scroll down this webpage at a steady pace and look at the text... it's all blurred. Now, move a window around, you can tell that there is a high amount of blurring. Again, that .1 inch trail... in games, this is less noticable than in windows, but it depends. At a high frame rate of 60 it's not as hard to notice and it looks much more fluid. But there is still that blurring whenever you move around. I am a bit disappointed that everyone says it has no ghosting when it clearly does, and it bothers me but this monitor has so many more positives I can live with it. If this is one of the best LCD's then fine. It's the best 20 inch widescreen so what more can I say but that it's just great! Next time I want something at least 8ms response with ZERO blurring or ghosting. I have heard from people that their 16ms old LCD's have no blurring, but I have a hard time believing that. Is mine defective or what? I heard of the backlight bleed and dead pixels, but now ghosting and blurring response rate defectivity? Sure... Let me know what you guys think.

Is the latest revision A03? And has it fixed those backlight bleeding etc. problems?

dL

586185556[/snapback]

No, revision A02 is the latest.

OK...

After having this baby for several weeks now, I think I need to shed light on something.

At VERY VERY first I didn't notice it... I don't know why, I was tied up with the quality and size of the monitor. Little by little it stuck out more and more... maybe mines defective, WHO KNOWS all I know is that there is ghosting, and it's not huge trails but just a small, .1 inch blur that occurs everytime something on the screen is moving... this includes windows, games, scrolling, etc. For those of you with this monitor, try this.. just scroll down this webpage at a steady pace and look at the text... it's all blurred. Now, move a window around, you can tell that there is a high amount of blurring. Again, that .1 inch trail... in games, this is less noticable than in windows, but it depends. At a high frame rate of 60 it's not as hard to notice and it looks much more fluid. But there is still that blurring whenever you move around. I am a bit disappointed that everyone says it has no ghosting when it clearly does, and it bothers me but this monitor has so many more positives I can live with it. If this is one of the best LCD's then fine. It's the best 20 inch widescreen so what more can I say but that it's just great! Next time I want something at least 8ms response with ZERO blurring or ghosting. I have heard from people that their 16ms old LCD's have no blurring, but I have a hard time believing that. Is mine defective or what? I heard of the backlight bleed and dead pixels, but now ghosting and blurring response rate defectivity? Sure... Let me know what you guys think.

586189842[/snapback]

Nope, mine doesn't do any of that. :ninja:

It looks like a nice monitor, but why are the resolutions so crappy compared to laptops? My 15.4" laptop can go up to 1920x1200, but i decided to go with 1680x1050. It's pretty bright for a laptop, too, and it's also quite thin, unlike the "thick" desktop LCD monitors. Definitely no CRT, but I just don't understand.

1680 by 1050 is just the DELL RECOMMENDED resolution.. You can customize the resolution to fit your needs if you have a good graphics card.

Thanks for answering me the revision #, but that aint the most important. The most important part is, has it fixed the problems you guys are all complaining about?

dL

hey everyone,

ive got 2 q's about this monitor:

1)this monitor is an S-IPS panel, and apparently its much better for first person shooters than the 2405FPW which uses a PVA panel, is this true?

2) i want to play Playstation 3 wen it comes out on my computer monitor, but apprently this has no connections (or HDTV or something) and doesnt support the PS3 (Supported screen sizes: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p) recomended screen size?

thanks

WTF...

Did I get a defective monitor?? I tried already with 9800 Pro and my new X800XTPE with the same issues. Maybe I should try VGA. But hey, I can't really say what's wrong unless I see another 2005FPW in person which I don't know where to see as I don't know anybody with one... hmm... defective response rate, I dunno, sounds corny to me..

1680 by 1050 is just the DELL RECOMMENDED resolution.. You can customize the resolution to fit your needs if you have a good graphics card.

Isn't the maximum resolution of that LCD 1680x1050? I know you can go to a lower resolution than that, but LCDs have a fixed resolution unlike CRTs.

Isn't the maximum resolution of that LCD 1680x1050? I know you can go to a lower resolution than that, but LCDs have a fixed resolution unlike CRTs.

586190898[/snapback]

correct. you cannot push an lcd screen higher than its native resoultion. in the 2005fp's case, 1680x1050px.

OK...

586189842[/snapback]

don't believe us...just whine and cry all the way back to dell. :laugh:

hey everyone,

ive got 2 q's about this monitor:

1)this monitor is an S-IPS panel, and apparently its much better for first person shooters than the 2405FPW which uses a PVA panel, is this true?

2) i want to play Playstation 3 wen it comes out on my computer monitor, but apprently this has no connections (or HDTV or something) and doesnt support the PS3 (Supported screen sizes: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p) recomended screen size?

thanks

586189976[/snapback]

1) No. The 2405FPW is supposed to be the "Super-IPS"

2) There is no HDTV Connections on the 2005FPW. The monitor doesn't support HDCP. THe 2405FPW doesn't support HDCP either but does have a component input.

OK...

586189842[/snapback]

It's not defective. That's normal. Other people may claim to see absolutely no blurring on their monitor but they still have it. You just have eyes that are more sensitive to this kind of thing than their's. Owell, I guess its a curse, but I am not really bothered buy it on my own monitor anymore because I have gotten used to it. My first lcd was 25ms and it gave me motion sickness for the first few months, heh. I can see the difference between my current 20ms pva and my brother's 16ms s-ips but it's not big enough to get worked up over.

Steven, here's the order of speed on lcds from fastest to slowest. tn-film<s-ips<pva/mva. Although I have to say that I think that the new mva+overdrive panels from viewsonic may have finally beaten tn-film as the fastest lcd type currently available (in terms of sustained response time, not manufacturer's claims).

Hmm... Well I'm not sure but ya it does really bother me SonComet... it is very obvious though, even to my mom or anyone else who takes a look at it. I opened My Computer and then moved it around slowly and asked my mom is she thought the text was blurry and she said yes it wasn't clear at all... I will go see my friends LCD and compare and see what that is like so I can judge it a bit better. I just can't see how everyone says there is no blurring or ghosting with such conviction, that's my stance on it :p

Hmm... Well I'm not sure but ya it does really bother me SonComet... it is very obvious though, even to my mom or anyone else who takes a look at it. I opened My Computer and then moved it around slowly and asked my mom is she thought the text was blurry and she said yes it wasn't clear at all... I will go see my friends LCD and compare and see what that is like so I can judge it a bit better. I just can't see how everyone says there is no blurring or ghosting with such conviction, that's my stance on it :p

586197981[/snapback]

That sounds perfectly normal to me. It happens on my samsung 193p (20ms pva), my brother's dell 2001fp (16ms s-ips), my mom's samsung 172t and 910t (25ms pva), and my brother's friend's 12ms 17" dell (tn-film) (he is over with his comp right now so I am looking at it). It's just the nature of lcds.

I am also amazed at all the claims of "zero" blurring because quite frankly there isn't an lcd currently available that could make blurring equal to that of a crt. People should buy lcds knowing that the blurring that is there is not enough to bother them (and obviously it doesn't bother a lot of people since they don't even notice it), and for the other benefits of the technology.

A few years back (when 25ms was relatively fast and 16ms lcds were still a couple months away) I bought my first lcd, the samsung 172t. Atfirst I was amazed at how much blurring there was and it made me sick.

A friend of mine had a viewsonic that was vga only and 35ms. I bought my lcd without ever seeing it first because he told me that he couldn't see any blurring on his monitor at all. Well, later when I played some ut on his 35ms viewsonic I was appalled as I could see the entire screen smearing in a huge mess that made me very motion sick. I was a little unhappy, but the beautiful image quality of the 172t eased my pain quite a bit. And after that I got pretty used to my 25ms samsung, and don't really find the blurring on any monitor 20ms or below to be unacceptable at all anymore.

Maybe you should find an older lcd and see how much less your's blurs compared to it? Because my 25ms samsung 172t was stunning after seeing a 35ms monitor. Maybe check out a 25ms lcd and then you will be happier with your 12/16ms one (I forget what the rating on the 2005fpw was, lol).