Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD

I used the PS2 running San Andreas on my 2005FPW and it didn't look great to be honest. worse then what it looks on my TV, I guess that's because of the high rez of the screen I dunno.

you don't need an adapter the PS2 by default uses a composit connector with a scart converter, just remove the scart converter and then plug the composit connector straight into the 2005FPW and turn the monitor on.

ok fair enough the explanation you gave me and thanks.now another issue.I 'm wondering about the graphic card to use with thhis monitor. i think it should be very powerful in order to achieve a descent frames per second rate at 1680 x 1050 analysis when playing games. I 'm thinking of geforce 6600gt. I' m open to recommendations or any advice i could get.

What courier do Dell UK use?

Apparently my expensive new toy (Must stop buying expensive toys :p) is going to be arriving tomorrow evening 5 - 9pm :| Seems a bit late for any courier but there you go

The 2005FPW is almost exactly the same height as the 1704FPT; that's why I bought the latter as a second monitor. Incidentally the latter is also almost exactly the same size as my 19" CRT that I replaced with the former. So if you're considering an upgrade, the 2005FPW is about the same height and substantially wider than a 19" CRT. Both have a bit of backlight bleeding; it's not a big deal though. And fortunately neither have any bad pixels.

Total cost?

2005FPW: 560 USD (list price, 749)

1704FPT: 210 USD (list price, 329)

DS100 (stand) 170 USD (list price, 249)

Total: 940 (1327)

Always keep your eyes peeled for deals and coupons.

post-11870-1120178509_thumb.jpg

yeah i know but what about with the sound on your playstation? i mean i can only connect the yellow composit.

586144331[/snapback]

The screen does not have built in speakers, so no mater which cable you buy you wont get any sound.

The 2 RCA inputs on the PS2 next to the Composit should be plugged into some other speaker system you have I plug mine into my surround sound but most normal PC 2.1Speakers will have inputs for left and right sound (Indicated by the Red and White - Right and Left inputs). The Dell screen is just a Monitor not a TV replacement.

The screen does not have built in speakers, so no mater which cable you buy you wont get any sound.

The 2 RCA inputs on the PS2 next to the Composit should be plugged into some other speaker system you have I plug mine into my surround sound but most normal PC 2.1Speakers will have inputs for left and right sound (Indicated by the Red and White - Right and Left inputs). The Dell screen is just a Monitor not a TV replacement.

586145843[/snapback]

Thats not true, dell has an attachment that will attach to the front of the monitor that will give you sound.

I am fully aware of the sound bars existence, which is what?.

2.1 surround sound (It is basically NORMAL PC speakers! they just Hook onto the base) and an Extra Attachment i.e. does not come with the screen.

I did not bother mentioning them because it is unknown to me weather they use the RCA connection from the desktop computer or a 3.5 mm Jack (like speakers built into my older LCD) The Jack option would mean that the PS2 would not work with the sound bar making it worth not mentioning.

Ok? Oddcrap?

Sound Bar...

I told you guys to consult the user guide!! :laugh:

attach-speaker.gif

NOTE: Sound Bar Power Connector - 12V DC output is for optional Dell? Sound Bar only. .

DO NOT USE WITH ANY DEVICE OTHER THAN DELL SOUND BAR.

1. Working from the rear of the monitor, attach Sound Bar by aligning the two slots with the two tabs along the bottom rear of the monitor.

2. Slide the Sound Bar to the left until it snaps into the place.

3. Connect the sound Bar with the DC power connector4. Insert the lime green mini stereo plug from the rear of the Sound Bar into the Computer's audio output jack.b>

Edited by Steven

4.  Insert the lime green mini stereo plug from the rear of the Sound Bar into the Computer's audio output jack.

586146333[/snapback]

As I guessed, it is not compatible with the PS2 in anyway.

As I guessed, it is not compatible with the PS2 in anyway.

586146625[/snapback]

you do know you can go down to radio shack and get a coax to RCA connector. :ninja:

A decent deal, but who wants to run a 2005 off of a x300?  And a CD-Rom drive?  They still make those?  40Gb HD?  That's a crap desktop, I'd sell it on ebay and keep the screen.

586146651[/snapback]

Yup Sell the PC but keep the screen. Still a good deal IMO. :)

you do know you can go down to radio shack and get a coax to RCA connector.  :ninja:

586146663[/snapback]

That costs even more!

Screen ?400

Sound Bar ?40

Cable ?2.50

or get some separate speakers ?25.

I think some people on Neowin just like to pick holes in other peoples post because they got nothing better to do and everyone is always defending themselves, This ain't the EU people! Its an online forum!

WinMacLin:

I have the Logitech Z-2200 2.1 speakers. There's the left and right sound inputs on it. Do you know if there's some switch or little thing to put on there and switch from PC sound to PS2 sound? Like a VGA BOX but for sound.

thanks.

That costs even more!

Screen ?400

Sound Bar ?40

Cable ?2.50

or get some separate speakers ?25.

I think some people on Neowin just like to pick holes in other peoples post because they got nothing better to do and everyone is always defending themselves, This ain't the EU people! Its an online forum!

586146713[/snapback]

Yeah how heinous of people to try and help people who apparently don't know what they're doing by giving them ideas, and correcting misinformation.

Mine just arrived :woot:

I've had a look and the stand is HUGE at full height, guess that solves the problem of no height adjust feature on my current TFT (No more neck problems :D)

Might set it up right now, bugger the dust :happy:

Assembled in UK May 2005 Rev A01

Yeah how heinous of people to try and help people who apparently don't know what they're doing by giving them ideas, and correcting misinformation.

586147549[/snapback]

Ok lets get technical shall we.

I said "The screen does not have a built in speaker"

Does the screen have a built in speaker: No.

Every gadget has attackable speakers including the game boy advance the PSP the iPod my mobile phone my laptop, you can buy speakers for anything and everything, I said it don't have any built in and I was correct. - that's if you want to get technical.

WinMacLin:

I have the Logitech Z-2200 2.1 speakers. There's the left and right sound inputs on it. Do you know if there's some switch or little thing to put on there and switch from PC sound to PS2 sound? Like a VGA BOX but for sound.

thanks.

586147513[/snapback]

I don't know of any you should just look in your local store I use surround sound from Acoustic Solutions and it has enough ports to stick in quite a few devices so I have never used any adapter sorry.

Edited by WinMacLin