MX1000 vs MX510 Review

I have a logitech 310MX and I have really enjoyed it, but I do regret not getting a cordless one now looking back on things but oh well. Its just a mouse afterall - if it does the job then no need to replace.

I got a MX310 too... works perfect :)

I see no need to switch to a 510, even though I could have gotten one for the same $10CDN deal.

(For those curious, there was a trick going on for a bit in Canada. Futureshop sold the 510 for $20 and Staples had it for $50. You bought it at futureshop, pricematched it at staples and got it for around $10. Of course Staples caught on and started charging $20 for their own mice)

I've had about every logitech mouse there is to have (MX300, MX500, MX510, MX700, MX900 and a MX1000)

And I have to say that the MX510 beats the crap out of every other mouse out there (logitech or not)

If you are a gamer, forget about wireless mouses, go for a wire ... the MX700 and MX900 are simply not good for fast action games ...

That MX1000 is really a bad mouse, laser or not, it's not stable, skippes, can't handle lifting the mouse properly (it disables the laser when there's no reflection, and takes about 10ms to re-start) ....

Even when you think you have a good mouse, and it's not a MX510, go buy a MX510 and feel the difference ... i kid you not :)

MX510 is the only mouse worth talking about.

The mouse I have right now is a Logitech MX510. When I went from my old Logitech Click! to this, well the tracking made my jaw drop. After my Click! dying only a year after I bought it I'm not going back to any cordless mouse again.

There's no real gain to be had by getting cordless. I put my A$300 paperweight mobile phone on the cord to stop it pulling my mouse and I can't even tell it's corded. The only thing I'd like to see is teflon on the two main mouse buttons. The texture on the MX510 buttons is too slick, mounds of dirt pile up with no effort.

(entirely my thought on this, no evidence to support it but my own experience) a lot of people that complain about the mouse jumping or skipping, i am thinking they might not be placing the mouse on a flat enough of surface. i personally do still use a mouse pad. one that has a cushioin on the bottom to rest my hand. not only is this more comfortable for my hand during prolonged usage of the mouse, it also allow the mouse to perform the way it's suppose to.

i have a mx700 and the mx1000, neither one has ever skipped or done anything crazy for me.

like i said before, when i had my mx1000 i testedit on my alienware funcmat, my steelpad, my desktop, my leg... its not hte mousepad :D

for for those who said that you cant compare a defective mouse to a non defective mouse, i see your point. Logitech still has no excuse selling a $70+ uber mouse wher like 1/4 have serious defects.

I just got an MX1000, but i was thinking about going to get a MX510. I read a review from Toms Hardware(http://www6.tomshardware.com/consumer/20040924/logitech-01.html). Their review is really indeph and all that they said that they prefer the MX1000 in pretty much every way except its weight. They also do a good job about explaining how the wireless MX1000 actually makes it better than a corded mouse because it uses fast RF instead of bluetooth. If you're thinking about getting either mouse I would read this review.

those batteries last between 3 and 5 weeks before needing to be recharged! and thats with heavy usage (according to tomshardware, and they know their stuff)

i'm gonna buy one soon, and am getting a qpad xxxl lowsense with qpad glidz (i've heard they are thicker than hyperglidez) to finish things off :yes:

oh ye, and i would recommend that anyone looking at buying an mx510 should first try out the ms intellimouse 3.0, or, if left handed, try the ms intellimouse 1.1 se (if you can find one). they are probably the best two mouses (aside from logitech's) on the market today. however, one must clearly avoid the intellimouse 4.0, as it is uterrly useless!

the MX700 is easily the best wireless mouse out there (save for the MX1000's many problems I've heard about) there is no Lag on the MX700, the RF runs at the same frequency as USB (127mhz i believe?) so it's just like having a wire, no problems here...

But I was checking out the MX1000, i might hold off on it now though.

I have two friends that own the mx1000. One uses his in games fine it seems, the other claims that the mouse is just too sensitive and he uses a microsoft intellimouse for games.

The mx1000 is great and all... but I think the mx510 is one of the best gaming mice out there. With 8 usable buttons.... weapon switching has been so much easier since I got it ;D

oh ye, and i would recommend that anyone looking at buying an mx510 should first try out the ms intellimouse 3.0, or, if left handed, try the ms intellimouse 1.1 se (if you can find one). they are probably the best two mouses (aside from logitech's) on the market today. however, one must clearly avoid the intellimouse 4.0, as it is uterrly useless!

585223785[/snapback]

I tend to disagree, Microsoft mice have been nothing but trouble for me, I've been through three of them (on my fourth now, because I couldn't afford an MX 1000 at the time) and they all suck. Especially the new ones since they have smoother scrolling, which sucks when trying to select weapons in any game.

Don't get me started on MS' keyboards :angry:

• 2 months later...
can't handle lifting the mouse properly (it disables the laser when there's no reflection, and takes about 10ms to re-start) ....

585139609[/snapback]

The mx1000, is a great mouse, alot better then optical (mx700), as it can handle my shinny wood desk very well. :)

The only thing that ****'s me off is this turn off laser thing when you lift the mouse! :angry: , Don't know about some of you, but I tend to lift my mouse is games. Is there some dojjy way I can stop this from happening? maybe some dojjy software that can reprogram the mouse and tell it to not turn laser off unless ilde for 10mins or somet.

problem 1^, fix that this mouse is pure pwnage.

Hi, 2 days ago, i got the MX1000. It looked awesome, felt awesome in my hands, and tracked kinda awesome....

When i fisrt put it in, it jumped horrendously, especially when moving my mouse to the left and up. I installed the new drivers, and it still happend, although instead of going to the top of my screen like before, the cursor jumped about 1-2 cm on screen. OK so this got me kinda mad. 86 dollars for a mouse and its dysfunctional? ok so i looked around on the logitech forums, and it seemed that it was indeded defective, other people had my problem too.  Aside from that, i first thought that i couldnt tell it was wireless (onscreen i mean) but i went to go play some CS:S. WOW big difference. i could totaly tell it was wireless. maybe like extremely small difference, but it was their. it felt like the pointer was "Detatched" from me.

So today i go back to bestbuy, return my MX1000, get a MX510 for 30 dollars less, and am fully more satisfied with it. best mouse ever.

All the same functionality are there, execpt for the Tilt Wheel. Who the hell uses a tilt wheel to scroll sideways anyways? its just awkwards.

So i have my MX510, in this really kick ass red color, even more ergonomic in my big hands as the mx1000 was. No lag, awesome performance, and no jumping, and no defectiveness. nice mousesoftware too.

If you were deciding to get a mx1000 or a cheaper mx510, or you have a mx510 and were thinking about getting a mx1000, dont. stick with a mx510 or go and buy one ASAP . Theese things are major spiffy.

585019527[/snapback]

This review sucks, you don't even compare them technologically and tracking ability all you've done is say get the MX510 because your MX1000 was defective.

AWFUL! (N)

I tend to disagree, Microsoft mice have been nothing but trouble for me, I've been through three of them (on my fourth now, because I couldn't afford an MX 1000 at the time) and they all suck. Especially the new ones since they have smoother scrolling, which sucks when trying to select weapons in any game.

Don't get me started on MS' keyboards  :angry:

585225338[/snapback]

MS mice and keyboards are excellent. I absolutely love the Wireless Natural MultiMedia Keyboard that I'm typing on right now.

I too hate the new scroll wheels on MS mice, and I hope they figure out how useless those are.

I presently use an MX1000 and absolutley love the mouse. I hate the software, and right now I don't even have it installed. It messes with the forward/back functionality (doesn't work in Maxthon unless you bind the buttons to alt+left or alt+right - which breaks it in other programs).

I really miss the IntelliPoint software... which lets you bind any mouse button to any function on a PER-APPLICATION basis. I really hope some of those features get built into Longhorn so that it doesn't matter what mouse I use.

The only thing that ****'s me off is this turn off laser thing when you lift the mouse! :angry: , Don't know about some of you, but I tend to lift my mouse is games. Is there some dojjy way I can stop this from happening? maybe some dojjy software that can reprogram the mouse and tell it to not turn laser off unless ilde for 10mins or somet.

585644320[/snapback]

I've never had an issue there. The laser doesn't turn off unless you lift the mouse for at least 10 seconds (when the battery indicator goes off).

you have to remember that the optical technology in the MX700 is much more advanced it's self. But compared to the MX1000 its nothing but the MX1000 still has alot of "prototype" problems to be sorted.

Paul

What? How is this a comparison? You had a defective mouse and used that to compare it to a working mx510? Hell, the generic MS mice would outperform the mx1000 if you chose to use one.

I think wireless is good. It would be a stretch to get a mouse and keyboard cable to reach my keyboard tray - wirless fills the gap. I have an MS wireless mouse and keyboard and I'm very impressed with both. One niggle is the still 'F-lock' thing though, where each F key has a second function and you have to pres the F-Lock key to remove it every time it starts up.